Starting 90g Reef Tank Build... Finally!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12926954#post12926954 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
TJ----maybe you commented on it before the split--but do you think the remora will work fine without the internal overflow on it--I'm tired of the mess it makes on the surface, having to run my surface so high in the tank, and burning out pumps
What internal overflow? The black box that comes with it?

If so, I run mine without it, and have not experienced any problems.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12927026#post12927026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
If you have heaters, unplug them for now. Make sure that isn't the cause.

A pump with constricted return tubing (as we talked about in the past) can add heat.

Verify that your thermometer is even correct. Check it with two or three different ones.

Put a fan that blows down on the surface of the water in your sump. You'll be impressed. In a pinch, a frozen 2-liter bottle floating in the sump or display can help quickly cool off a small system. Keep a few in the freezer (don't fill them to the top, as ice expands as it forms) for when you need them.

thanks---I already have the pop bottles chilling

thanks for the pulling the heater idea

and I will get the fan on their now---I was really trying to figure out where the heat problem is coming from

Something is trapping the heat, and something else is adding it. Your lighting is possibly a culprit. Do you have the canopy open at all to let it vent out? Do you have covers on your sump & refugium? With a cool basement, this shouldn't be an issue.

A malfunctioning heater would be possible too.

sweet call Marc----it was the heater--it was on and hot to the touch even though set at 78 degrees.
You are a life saver

I'm not going to do anything else right now so as to let the temp fall gradually which I think it will on its own
It went up very gradually over a week and stayed there so I think it would be a good idea to let it go down the same way.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12927226#post12927226 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
What internal overflow? The black box that comes with it?

If so, I run mine without it, and have not experienced any problems.

Yes, it is a PITA and for the life of me can't see any advantage in running it other then to hid the power head

Congratulations on the split, TJ!! :thumbsup:

I think you have the best, most comprehensive and informative recaps on RC. Awesome! :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12927715#post12927715 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
sweet call Marc----it was the heater--it was on and hot to the touch even though set at 78 degrees.
You are a life saver

I'm not going to do anything else right now so as to let the temp fall gradually which I think it will on its own
It went up very gradually over a week and stayed there so I think it would be a good idea to let it go down the same way.

What I recommend for heaters:

3w per gallon, divided between two heaters. Example: 100g tank needs 300w of heat. Use two 150w heaters.

Never ever trust the number on the heater. I find them to rarely be even close to accurate. If the tank temperature is correct, turn the knob on the heater to make the light come on, then turn it back down until it shuts off. Find that sweet spot where it is right, and leave it there. If you want to note the number it is on (72F for example with one heater I use), that's fine but that's as far as I would go with that.

Hey TJ congrats on the split. I was plesently surprized to make the list for build threads since i havent been that active in the thread. So i just want to say thank you for including me.

Brett

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12927887#post12927887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Schwe
Congratulations on the split, TJ!! :thumbsup:

I think you have the best, most comprehensive and informative recaps on RC. Awesome! :)
Haha thanks Schwe :thumbsup:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12928303#post12928303 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by new2sw776784
Hey TJ congrats on the split. I was plesently surprized to make the list for build threads since i havent been that active in the thread. So i just want to say thank you for including me.

Brett
Thanks. No problem... I figured with not much going on with my thread, it would be nice to throw the light onto some others. I just hope I didn't forget anyone :)

Hey guys, I found some pics of my old setup on my broken camera's memory card. This is me pre RC... note the SeaClone skimmer, HOB filters, junky powerheads, and taped on background :lol:

Also, this was pre RO/DI... just tap water and De-Chlor. :rolleye1:

DSCN1676.jpg

DSCN1718.jpg

DSCN1717.jpg

DSCN1684.jpg

DSCN1687.jpg

DSCN1705.jpg

Last edited:
And here's the 120g 5' tank I picked up, then decided not to use, because I was too nervous about the center brace to use it. It may have been ok, but I just didn't want to chance it.

120gTank.jpg

120gTankbrace.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12927910#post12927910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
What I recommend for heaters:

3w per gallon, divided between two heaters. Example: 100g tank needs 300w of heat. Use two 150w heaters.

Never ever trust the number on the heater. I find them to rarely be even close to accurate. If the tank temperature is correct, turn the knob on the heater to make the light come on, then turn it back down until it shuts off. Find that sweet spot where it is right, and leave it there. If you want to note the number it is on (72F for example with one heater I use), that's fine but that's as far as I would go with that.

Marc, what is freaky here is that I did all that. Actually there was only one heater in the sump right now because the other one was in a plastic garbage can heating some water up for a change

I have not touched the setting of that heater since last fall and that was after I had it set to make sure the tank didn't go below 78 in the winter time. It has been fine with no adjustments up to this week when it went wacko.

I would love a couple of heaters like TJ has with the external thermostats--I can't get them in Canada because they are not csa approved. But I will have them before late fall this year.;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12928537#post12928537 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by new2sw776784
i would of used that one it is just melted not broke:) lol

but it all depends on the person.

lol
I was going to, but it had about 4" of flex in it. I was considering replacing it with acrylic, and researched a bunch of different ways to do it. Then I thought about how much money I was planning on sinking into it and I decided the gamble wasn't worth it.

Oh yeah... and I think I got the tank for like $50, the kid was going to keep a baby alligator in it, but never got around to it :lol:

I think I should've at least kept it for a sump, but I was running out of room in the garage... oh well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12928303#post12928303 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by new2sw776784

Brett

so we noticed---how about posting there--we are all waiting to answer you:D ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12928558#post12928558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I would love a couple of heaters like TJ has with the external thermostats--I can't get them in Canada because they are not csa approved. But I will have them before late fall this year.;)
After hearing a few horror stories, I keep telling myself I'm going to pick up a ranco controller for it just to be safe.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12928562#post12928562 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
I was going to, but it had about 4" of flex in it. I was considering replacing it with acrylic, and researched a bunch of different ways to do it. Then I thought about how much money I was planning on sinking into it and I decided the gamble wasn't worth it.

Oh yeah... and I think I got the tank for like $50, the kid was going to keep a baby alligator in it, but never got around to it :lol:

I think I should've at least kept it for a sump, but I was running out of room in the garage... oh well.

give it to Rae:smokin:

Haha... If I still had it I would be using it for something. I sold it and made sure to let the new owner know about it. The guy I sold it to seemed to care less. All I know is that I didn't want ANY responsibilty for that sucker busting out on someone. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back