Starting 90g Reef Tank Build... Finally!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12930414#post12930414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by singold
Hi Tswifty8 & all, appears your Yellow Tang & Clown fish are growing at same pace as mine. I started my tank about 5 months ago. I am getting tremendous enjoyment out of this hobby. Have already sold some things from my previous hobby to upgrade/supplement this hobby-so to speak. Previous hobby was my vintage star wars figures collection. Anyway, I am obsessed in the detail and microbiology of this hobby, and can't begin to describe the enjoyment I am reeping. Then again, I was a biology major in college, so I guess not surprising myself. As soon as I can figure out camera & downloading, thereof, I will post pics of my tank & its progress. My wife has always been the camera expert, but I am going to learn how to do. Hoping all fellow reefers have a great weekend! ---Sean
Thanks for the post. Sounds like you're off to a good start. If you're obsessed with detail then this is definitely the hobby for you :lol:

Be sure to let us know once you get the pictures uploaded. :)

Hey,

Ive been reading up on your thread for about an hour now, lol, and got a lot of good info out of it. Thanks and your tank looks great.

I was interested in re-doing my rockwork to kinda resemble your two island set-up. Do you have any tips on how you did it? Is it just two mounds? haha

thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12931122#post12931122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by misterd
Hey,

Ive been reading up on your thread for about an hour now, lol, and got a lot of good info out of it. Thanks and your tank looks great.

I was interested in re-doing my rockwork to kinda resemble your two island set-up. Do you have any tips on how you did it? Is it just two mounds? haha

thanks

lurker here.
wanted to say i too am going with the two island set up in my 90

count me in on this too guys--It's something I being looking into too. My system is going through almost two gals a day in evaporation right now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12931057#post12931057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raen
Did you see Schwe's new thread .......FANTASTIC. Made me laugh RALLY HARD! ;)

can you post the link?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12931584#post12931584 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
count me in on this too guys--It's something I being looking into too. My system is going through almost two gals a day in evaporation right now.

wow, i thought i lost a lot, im only losing a litre, mind you your system overall is huge, large system large water loss, worth it though, at least youve got a great tank:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12932012#post12932012 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael
wow, i thought i lost a lot, im only losing a litre, mind you your system overall is huge, large system large water loss, worth it though, at least youve got a great tank:)

I am sure that having the heater malfunction was contributing to it.
I am still idol worshipping Melev for putting me onto that so quick.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12931122#post12931122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by misterd
Hey,

thanks
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12931443#post12931443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Zestay
lurker here.
wanted to say i too am going with the two island set up in my 90
I just stacked everything... very very carefully :lol:

I didn't want to drill my rocks, so it was pretty hard to create overhangs. I had to use pretty heavy rocks to counterbalance the shelves so they wouldn't tip over. It took a few tries, but everything is in there pretty solid.

Also, since I wanted high rockwork, I had to start out with a pretty wide base to support it, which is why they turned out like islands instead of pillars.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12931587#post12931587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
TJ---can you repost the pics of your heaters and the controllers
thanks
Scott

165449Goodies1.jpg

msx.jpg

165449fsump1.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12931057#post12931057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raen
Did you see Schwe's new thread .......FANTASTIC. Made me laugh RALLY HARD! ;)
Yeah I check it yesterday... girls, fishtanks, and cars... what more could you possibly ask for?

errr...actually I just ran through it again, and it looks like Schwe is about the only girl who posted her photo. :lol:

Last edited:
Zero luck... I found all the parts I needed except the one essential thing... the float switch.

Unless someone local comes through tonight or tomorrow, I'll be placing an order for it and the aqualifter on Monday. Then setting it up next weekend sometime.

I started picking up food for Marc's DIY fish food recipe, but I could not find the seafood stuff at any of the bigger grocery stores. I'll have to get up early and widen my search tomorrow before my doubleheader.

http://www.melevsreef.com/food.html

So far I have for the mix:

Frozen Food:
Hikari Mysis Shrimp
Hikari Daphnia
Hikari Bloodworms
San Fransisco Bay Krill
San Fransisco Bay Plankton
San Fransisco Bay Cyclops
San Fransisco Bay Spirulina Brine Shrimp

Dry Food:
Formula 2 Flake Food