Starting 90g Reef Tank Build... Finally!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12928628#post12928628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by new2sw776784
I did post earlier not much to update though.

Does anyone have any experience with these fish?

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/ps_V...vet_Damsel___Paraglyphidodon_oxyodon___Small_(Indonesia)_Fish_Damsels_Blue_Velvet_Damsel_Blue_Velvet_Damsel_OS%26vendor%3d.html

damsels IMO not a reef safe fish. They grow up to be the bullies of the tank
If you want to keep damsels then keep them in a special tank just for damsels

Hey TJ, way to go with the 3rd split!
Its crazy, this thread grew by 2 pages in the 6hrs that I was asleep last night!! Blink and you miss something on the clubhouse thread, lol...

Looking at your old tank, its pretty crazy how much change has gone on in the aquarium field, like i've read tons of stories from people about their old tanks where everything was HOB, and they used regular tap water with just a few drops of a neutraliser, they never tested for anything, where as today, we've got sumps with fuge's, RO/DI water, massive test kits, i think its good to see that we've now got more of an understanding of how it all works, and what we need to replicate as closely as we can, our own slice of the ocean...

Cheers,
OwNeD
:cool:

temp at 2 pm 85.5
remove faulty heater and lift up wooden canopy on the display tank
5 pm temp 83.4
8 pm temp 81. 9

4 degrees in 6 hrs---I think that is slow enough? Can you believe my big toad stool is still ticked because the top of the canopy is open--duh

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12928489#post12928489 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I'm sure that would never happen, T. ;)
:eek2:

Haha... I don't know how I possibly missed quite possibly the most famous build thread ever.

So here we go:

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages…. It is my pleasure to introduce to you tonight…

A build thread beyond your wildest dreams, with more splits than any mortal man can count. So old… that I had to travel back in time through the ReefCentral archives just to find out where all the madness began. So large… the Internet can barely contain it.

Weighing in at an impressive 280 gallons with a filtration system that requires a day pass and a tour guide. Hailing out of a wall in a living room in Ft. Worth Texas...

The heavyweight, most comprehensive, most impressive, longest running, build thread champion of the world…

:bounce2: :celeb2: :celeb3: Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread :celeb3: :celeb2: :bounce2:

Where it all began:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=406083&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Most recent page:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1410901&perpage=25&pagenumber=12

Everything Melev:
http://www.melevsreef.com

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12929534#post12929534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
So here we go:

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages…. It is my pleasure to introduce to you tonight…

A build thread beyond your wildest dreams, with more splits than any mortal man can count. So old… that I had to travel back in time through the ReefCentral archives just to find out where all the madness began. So large… the Internet can barely contain it.

Weighing in at an impressive 280 gallons with a filtration system that requires a day pass and a tour guide. Hailing out of a wall in a living room in Ft. Worth Texas...

The heavyweight, most comprehensive, most impressive, longest running, build thread champion of the world…

:bounce2: :celeb2: :celeb3: Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread :celeb3: :celeb2: :bounce2:

Where it all began:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=406083&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Most recent page:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1410901&perpage=25&pagenumber=12

Everything Melev:
http://www.melevsreef.com

I think I like that. I may use that at the beginning of the next split of my thread. ;)

You definitely made up for totally omitting my thread the first time. :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12928646#post12928646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
damsels IMO not a reef safe fish. They grow up to be the bullies of the tank
If you want to keep damsels then keep them in a special tank just for damsels

That is what i thought but the wife liked them so i had to ask.

If i ask to set up another tank she would have a cow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12929686#post12929686 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I think I like that. I may use that at the beginning of the next split of my thread. ;)

You definitely made up for totally omitting my thread the first time. :lol:
Haha... Hey I do what I can :lol:

Hey Marc, do they sell float sensors at hardware stores, or do you think online is the only place I'll find them?

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting to work on the ATO tomorrow if I can find the supplies.

Also, what are the chances of the sensors failing? Is there anyway to install a backup in case the sensor would become stuck in the "fill" position.

Hi Tswifty8 & all, appears your Yellow Tang & Clown fish are growing at same pace as mine. I started my tank about 5 months ago. I am getting tremendous enjoyment out of this hobby. Have already sold some things from my previous hobby to upgrade/supplement this hobby-so to speak. Previous hobby was my vintage star wars figures collection. Anyway, I am obsessed in the detail and microbiology of this hobby, and can't begin to describe the enjoyment I am reeping. Then again, I was a biology major in college, so I guess not surprising myself. As soon as I can figure out camera & downloading, thereof, I will post pics of my tank & its progress. My wife has always been the camera expert, but I am going to learn how to do. Hoping all fellow reefers have a great weekend! ---Sean

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12930330#post12930330 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Hey Marc, do they sell float sensors at hardware stores, or do you think online is the only place I'll find them?

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting to work on the ATO tomorrow if I can find the supplies.

Also, what are the chances of the sensors failing? Is there anyway to install a backup in case the sensor would become stuck in the "fill" position.

You could probably buy some at a local place like Grainger's, which seems to be everywhere. I get mine from aquahub.com

You can run them in series, so if one fails the next one works. I've been using the same one for over 5 years without a failure yet, but you never know. My reservoir can't hold more than 20g of water, so even if every drop went in, my system would be unaffected.

TSwifty8 - I'm going to follow your thread more religiously now that you're starting to build your ATO. I've been wanting to do this and hope that you will post your progress along the way.

My minimal knowledge so far is that the items needed are float sensors, aqualifter pumps, tubing. If there's a good link out there about this subject, I would like to read it. Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12930654#post12930654 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aaron Peer
TSwifty8 - I'm going to follow your thread more religiously now that you're starting to build your ATO. I've been wanting to do this and hope that you will post your progress along the way.

My minimal knowledge so far is that the items needed are float sensors, aqualifter pumps, tubing. If there's a good link out there about this subject, I would like to read it. Thanks.
If I can find the supplies, I'm going to attempt to build it tomorrow.

Here's the link:
http://www.melevsreef.com/plumbing/auto_topoff.html

The exact reason you stated. Plus it basically uses the same system of float sensors and aqualifter pump.

The more I look at it, it's a relatively simple system. I can't in my right mind shell out $200 for something I can make myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back