Step by step reef setup?

Tomo

Hi,

Bought a 75 gallon two months ago specifically for a reef setup and have been cruising the RC forums ever since. I have nothing else but the tank, stand and a 20 (i think) gal long that I want to use for the sump/refugium. Is there a step by step thread that will walk me through start to finish? (Search has never worked for me.) :confused:

My soon planned order of events are:

build the sump
plumb the tank (overflow/sump)
install RO/DI unit
buy heater(s)
buy water flow accessories (pump, powerheads, etc)

What next?

I'm going to sneak another question in here...I got spooked away from DSB so I want to go BB but not totally. Can I put a small layer of substrate on the bottom? If so what?

Thanks!
Tomo the new guy

Check out www.melevsreef.com for sumps (among other things).

your plan looks good. If you're doing reef than I suggest investing in a good light and a good skimmer.

DSB/BB debate is still on, so never know what the outcome will be. ...research more... without the help of DSB you'd need to find another way exporting nitrates from your system.

Good luck

I have the same set up as your trying to do right now. I had a 65gl tall. with 20long sump. I have a glass co. cut two pieces of glass to fit in my sump and siliconed them in. One about 2in higher then the other. I let it dry for a day add on a little bit more silicone when I would walk by it. I have the aqualight 2x150MH 2x96w actinics, asm skimmer, and a return pump. and a couple of powerheads. Thats it.

So build your sump.
Hook up your plumbing
Add your saltwater and live rock. I have about 80lbs.
I bought crushed coral from the ocean. That come in bags at your LFS. It has all the bacteria you need to get it started.
Then hook up your return and let it loose.
Good luck hope this helps

Back