Storing R/O Water

Chocobo

Hello!

I was looking at a 55 Gallon Water Storage Tank:
http://www.plasticwatertanks.com/p/6kq6f/chemtainer-tc2038iw

Problem is that the shipping costs more than the tank itself!

Previously I used one of those 'Brute' trash cans to store ~35 Gallons of water but the trash can was bit flimsy feeling and I didn't really feel like it kept the water isolated/clean/etc.

What do you use to store your R/O water? I have a very limited space sort of utility room/closet I am putting this in - so something tall and skinny is better than something short and fat.

I planned on just putting an R/O float at the top of whatever I use and then a bulkhead and spigot at the bottom - possibly using a pump so that I can pump the water from the very bottom up and into my mixing buckets / carrying bucket to top off the ATO reservoir. Hello!

I was looking at a 55 Gallon Water Storage Tank:
http://www.plasticwatertanks.com/p/6kq6f/chemtainer-tc2038iw

Last edited by a moderator:
I like poly drums with removable lids, I don't see the need for a full on tank below 100g honestly (really meant to be plumbed etc..). I personally use two 30g drums, but a 55g would be good if you only go with one; two allows some felxibility with batches of water or just keeping RO/DI in one etc... Drums give you all the sturdiness you want, with quality HDPE plastic, lightweight, small footprint, seal-able, and easy to work with (i.e. clean).

https://www.uline.com/BL_8154/Plast...VhoNpCh1PsQ1lEAAYASAAEgL1bPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lots of places to buy these, just look around. And honestly, you could probably find a "poly tank" like you linked locally if you really wanted one, unless you are in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
Got a farm and fleet or similar farm supply store locally?
They always have something you can use..

Any plastic container will be fine..
55g drums also routinely come up on craigslist,etc...

You want a top for it to keep it sealed as RO/DI water is like a sponge for dust/dirt,etc.. in the air..

Most of the tanks I’ve seen are for non-potable water which doesn’t inspire confidence in the tank itself not leeching stuff into the water. Any suggestions on how I can make sure the tank is good for the purpose?

Most of the tanks I’ve seen are for non-potable water which doesn’t inspire confidence in the tank itself not leeching stuff into the water. Any suggestions on how I can make sure the tank is good for the purpose?

Don't get hung up on that term, any "poly" tank or drum will be HDPE and is fine for saltwater.

Potable means they are just certified by the FDA is tested for working with food. You can get FDA certified drums and tanks if your want though, and especially used ones (just be comfortable with what they were used for!). They are made from the same material though.

"Previously I used one of those 'Brute' trash cans to store ~35 Gallons of water but the trash can was bit flimsy feeling and I didn't really feel like it kept the water isolated/clean/etc."

Not trying to derail the thread but I do use a 35 gallon Brute. Does it really not keep the water clean and isolated? It's not really air tight is it...

For now I picked up a 20 gallon pressurized tank (14 gallon capacity) which is decent. I will use 1/2” line for filling my buckets so it flows quickly. Once I have some time I’ll plumb up something nicer / higher capacity.

Blue or Black doesn't really matter to me - and that looks like a good deal. I think I'm going to go ahead and grab a couple of them. I really only have room for one right now unless I can stack them.

As sturdy as this thing is, I would use your best judgement and be careful if you are going to stack 1 plastic 55 gallon drum full of water weighing upwards of 450 pounds on top of another. I personally wouldn't risk it.

For filling the tank from the R/O system - should I just drill a hole for an R/O float and put the float right in the tank or is there a better way to go about it?

I'd like to plumb 3/4" PVC to the bottom with a pump so I can pump it into my buckets / another barrel / etc. Trying to figure out what pump I should get.

As sturdy as this thing is, I would use your best judgement and be careful if you are going to stack 1 plastic 55 gallon drum full of water weighing upwards of 450 pounds on top of another. I personally wouldn't risk it.
I don't think I'm going to risk it. I'll just throw the other one [ordered 2] in storage for when I have more space. I'll be mixing in 5 gallon buckets [my salt].

I'm a noob and just got my RO/DI buddie in the mail, but my plan is to simply have the RO/DI filtered water hose dangling into my 55 gallon drum, and waste water going into my grass. I'm personally not drilling into my drum but you could do that and keep the drum elevated on something. I'm going to use a cheap $20 pump to pump water from the bottom of my drum to where I need it.

Back