Stressed(??) Perc Clown or Pairing?? HELP

chiarione

I'm a Newbie to Saltwater tanks & new to this site, so I hope this posting is ok in this forum.

Anyway, new tank cycled for a month, live rock, live sand, small cleaner crabs, few snails, 1 skunk shrimp cleaner.

I added 2 perc clowns on 1/8/06. Both about 1.5". One slightly larger & brighter than the other. In the beginning the smaller one has been the aggressor-nipping at the slightly larger one and the slightly larger 1 has been giving the submissive behavior.
Since then I have been watching this "funny" action - seizure stuff, etc. I just read all about the pairing/breeding ritual and figured out that was what was going on.

The problem? For the last three days, the smaller one has now become a recluse in the back of the tank & won't even come out to eat. Its' breathing is soooo rapid!! I figured it wasn't getting enough oxy, so I added an add'l powerhead. The larger perc is staying with it all the time (but comes out to eat) now. No one is nipping at anyone. There is no other sign of disease, etc.

I have been diligent with water top-offs, partial change, testing, etc. all testing looks excellent. I am sooo worried about the smaller one. Do you think this is part of the pairing process???Is someone changing sex on me???

I don't know what to do...I also have a small brain coral & BTA coming tomorrow..YIKES! I'm afraid I've screwed something up.

Help!! Any suggestions? Comments??

Thanks group!
Diana :confused:

Can you provide any more tank info? Size, temp, test kit readings? Are you running a skimmer? How much live rock? Any other tank inhabitants besides the clowns and cleanup crew?

More tank info-Barkingcrab

More tank info-Barkingcrab

20 gal, no skimmer, no other critters, temp stays at 78, SG at 1.022, ammonia=ideal, ph=ideal, alkalinity=ideal,nitrite=safe, nitrate=ideal to okay.

Got about 15-20 lbs of live rock (?) forgot now exact weight.

By the way, my shrimp Molted today for the 1st time!! I'm a proud molt'in mama!!:D

But I just can't figure out my perc's problem!! :thumbdown

Anything u can think of to help is MUCHO appreciated!!

Diana

Welcome to RC!!!!

Just alittle hint... ideal, safe and OK are not good enough...us reefers need numbers.

From what you describe it sounds like your fish is sick. rapid breathing and cowering in a corner are not good signs. Does the fish look pale in color, apear to have grains of sand on it or anything else visual different?

Were your fish wild caught or captive bred? If they are wild caught I'd say you are seeing the beginning stages of brook, a very nasty desease. next the fish will become pale in color & appear to look like it has a velvet coat on. Treatment for this is a formalin dip. Formalin is VERY harsh on the fish and if used wrong can do more harm than good... It will HAVE to be done in a separate tank because formalin will kill your shrimp and pods.

I dont mean to scare you either... Read all you can about brook and if you think your fish fits the discription of having brook dip right away! dont waite...I'd sugest using formalin 3, its not AS harsh as straite formalin. Read the directions on the container for a formalin 3 bath and do that one. Make sure you put an air stone in the tank your dipping it in because formalin depetes the o2.

Perc stress'in

Perc stress'in

Oh boy, I need to read and FAST! Thank you, thank you and yes it is looking pale, not as bright anymore. I'll have to find out from my FS if it was captive or caught. Great info!:reading:

Thanks again, Diana

I'm embarassed to say that I've managed to lose three percs over the past year to problems that started with similar symptoms. In all cases the animals just started acting differently, breathing rapidly, hiding and/or not eating. Within the week they were gone. I tried the formalin dip on the last case but I think I was too late in administering the treatment OR the fish died from the shock. I also tried methylene blue dips prior to putting the fish into the QT tank after coming home from the LFS.

My reading on this forum and other places leads me to believe that brook is what often gets these guys, especially if they are wild caught.

One item I noticed - no skimmer. I don't run a skimmer on my QT tank, but I do have a large airstone and keep the filter breaking the waters surface to make sure the oxygen level stays up. Do you have a QT tank you can isolate the fish in?

Stress'in Perc

Stress'in Perc

I'm fretting. My poor clowny girl is still stressing. I did a freshwater dip last night. She seemed to do fairly well, I was very surprised. (I did it for almost 15min) and used the baking soda method that I found in the "fish diseases" forum. Is there anything visible that I should see taking place? I did think I saw a few miniscule whiteish things floating in her water afterwards.

She is still breathing VERY rapidly & hiding. Last night I did see her rubbing on the anemone about an hr afterwards. Can the BTA catch this disease??? I couldn't find any info about that.

No, don't have a quarantine tank-but getting one today & some formalin 3..

Do u think it is only a matter of time before her Mate gets the brook?? I am wondering if i should go ahead & dip him too, or just wait for signs.

ps...u guys are awesome!:thumbsup:

The BTA will not catch it...its a fish desease.

Personally I would treat both clowns...if one has it the other can easily catch it. I'm sure other people would say dont treat a healthy clown... so thats gonna be a tough one for you to decide.

Remember to be very careful with the formalin 3... read directions carefully. If overdosed it can do more harm than good. Remember to airate the water!

What I find that works is to dip the clowns 3 times. If the clown is already sick start with a 30 min. bath. I also give them a regular tank water dip for another 30 min afterward with almost double reccomended stresscoat or similar product. 3 days later I will do a 45 min dip. followed by a stress coat tank water dip. Then the last one 3 days later will be another 30 min one. followed by the stess coat tankwater dip.

The formalin strips their slime coat and is very harsh so the stress coat helps by adding a coat of its own until the fish has a chance to re-build it.

Good luck with your little girl. As long as she's not laying on her side theres still a chance :)

Stress'in Perc

Stress'in Perc

Well, little missy is still holding on...I don't know how.....the "best" fish store around does not carry the formalin...grrrr..said they could order & would take a wk. Ha! like that'll help now.:hmm4:

The day after the "dip" her color was great. Now we're back to extremely pale. I think I'm in emergency mode now.

Was I supposed to visibly "see" somthing happen during the dip (other than the obvious stress)?

Thanks again!:wavehand:
I'm also an emoticon addict

Well if the FW dip brought color back try another one. If you have stress coat add a few drops. Anything to keep her around till the formalin comes in. seems like it would take less time if you ordered it online though... If your by chance in or around boston I'll give you some.

Back