Sump question

Tiny7

Well Sunday I switched from a Rena canister filter to a 20g sump and the sump doesn't seem to get all the debris out of my tank. It's been very hazy and I can see all the particles floating around my tank. Yesterday I did move some rock around but the Rena would've already have the tank looking good by now. In the sump I have chaeto and gfo in a reactor. What am I doing wrong?!

Nothing - that's the difference between natural and mechanical filtration. You could put a filter sock on the outflow to catch the debris; just be sure to clean it very regularly.

I don't have a filter sock and I was trying to avoid using one only because I don't want to clean it regularly. If it doesn't clear up in a week I guess I won't have a choice.

sounds to me like you might have to much fow through your sump, alot of us when we start in the hobby try to use the main pump as part of the fow in our DT's, but doing this keeps detritus other particals from settling in the sump where they are supossed to, try addind a pump to your DT and slowing tank to sump flow.

any particals that a skimmer picks up will somtimes skimm out but will mostly just settle to the bottom of the skimmer.

your canister had foam pads to catch particals like a filter sock would but they will settle in sump with the right flow

what are you using for a return pump? How is the sump set up? maybe a picture of the sump would cut out some of the guessing?

758867d3.jpg

Does that work?

That looks pretty good although that Stealth heater needs to be completely submerged or it will not function properly. I can't see anything there that would cause your water to be cloudy. I don't run filter socks very often at all anymore and I don't have any trouble. Maybe you just stirred up some crud. Has it cleared out any yet?

i would run a filter sock for a week and then you should be fine. I do not use filter socks either except if i do something to stir the tank up.

It's clearing up a little. So I think it just took longer to clear up than with the Rena.

Yeah, I'd just give it a few more days and it should be all good. Also, make sure that heater is completely submersed or you could end up with the big bang.

Back