Sunbrite Slimline LED Info & Par Readings

I just picked up one of the new Slimline S today for my Solana 34 (20X20X20 cube).

While I think the lights & colors look great, I have a few issues:

I haven't been able to figure out a way to mount it using the bracket. When I mount it on the back glass, the back row of LED's is half over the rear sump compartment, and the lights only reach about halfway forward in the tank. I toyed with mounting it on the plastic wall between the rear sump and the tank itself, but then the aluminum (I think) bracket is partially in the water, and I can't see how that is ok, given that aluminum will oxidize in salt water and submerging metal with electrical circuits just seems like a bad idea. Plus, mounting on the sump wall means the bracket shows in the tank, which is kind of a bummer. Am I missing something?

This is what Playapixie is referring to,I think. Note the position of the leds of the reg unit and the s model . I hope RC allows the pic .
I also hope RB doesn't mind using the pic as a reference . crossed fingers

sunbrite-slimline-3.jpg

On the other hand, at the moment I have it just sitting on the glass top on some rubber feet, and I think that looks slick and might work just fine. It also lowers the light by about 3", which may be good for light penetration. There is a bit of light fall-off on the edge at this height, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing, as it leaves more places for corals that don't like so much light, and the fall-off isn't very noticeable visually. Thinking maybe slightly taller legs might be the answer.

Also, the light doesn't really come with directions. All it says is button A: timer setting, B: test mod, C: white LED cycle, D: Blue LED cycle.

So aside from the initial post here, I have no idea what "timer setting" means or what the timer cycle is. I'm also unclear if the timer will cycle up to the color that I previously picked, or if it will ramp all the way up to full lights. Kind of useless to be able to choose the color if it doesn't go to that setting during the dawn-to-dusk timing, and I'm not sure what actually happens then.

And, if it's in timer mode and you change the lights, what happens on the next light cycle?

If anyone has an idea the answers to any of these questions, I'm super curious! I'm going to write Sunbrite and see if I can get more clear answers.

Anyhow, The verdict is still out for me.

~Dawn

Last edited:
I might be in the same boat as Playpixie .I may have to mount to the side of the tank .Note the location of the overflow box on the back of the tank . It is external to the tank so no internal space is lost .

DSCF12572.jpg

mordbiv, thanks for the pics. so that's what they meant by evenly spacing the LEDs. that definately does become an issue to be considered for the all-in-one community and folks with an internal overflow. being as i have the older version, by the time the light was mounted the LEDs were right where I needed them. anxious to get to work to think of how this new change would have affected my set up.

Dawn, sorry to hear about your troubles. I was thinking about the smaller version for my Solana and it looks as if the rear row of LEDs are not as far back, so hopefully that would be ok for the Solana, although with less PAR, of course.

KMP, from your pics, it looks like the back row of LED's is approx 10" from the mount point?

Are there any vendors that have a liberal return policy with something like this? I'd really like to try one of these, but if it doesn't work with the Solana, I'm not sure I want to be stuck with it either.

Last edited:
mordbiv, thanks for the pics. so that's what they meant by evenly spacing the LEDs. that definately does become an issue to be considered for the all-in-one community and folks with an internal overflow. being as i have the older version, by the time the light was mounted the LEDs were right where I needed them. anxious to get to work to think of how this new change would have affected my set up.

I would think so too. Tim @ SB stated they are working on a all in one unit with a protein skimmer pulling 3 watts . As for peeps with other units ...The jury is out as this does mean careful planning and purchases to make it work for one's needs . The brace being so close to the water line bothers me a bit
It will be interesting to see the work arounds.

KMP, from your pics, it looks like the back row of LED's is approx 10"

Close, it's actually 8.5" from the tank mount to the first row of LEDs. The LEDs on the original model takes up the forward 5" if the fixture. Fixture. Overall length is 13.5".

Had to make a brace for the S model light. Cree XPG white and XPe's for the blue . Tank is just set up so it's doing the mad diatom bloom . Lights are exactly 20 inches from the leds to the bottom of the tank . I may rip another board but this will do for now .

DSCF1269.jpg

@reefdude,

That is an exo terra turtle glass terrraium. Comes in 24x18 and 18x18 footprints with the 24" model being a few inches taller.

I have been thinking about this combo for almost 3 months. Glad I was not the only one and thanks to Carlin I get a close up view :thumbsup:

I picked up the Slimline S this week, and still haven't been able to figure out the timed sunrise-sunset feature. Pushing the "A" button seems to turn on blue lights, but after that I'm not sure what happens. I don't know if it sets the clock at 12PM (as stated here, which should be noon), or 12AM (as I've seen elsewhere, which would be midnight). I've tried setting it on the assumption that it starts at noon, but when I do that, the lights definitely don't start dimming in 5 or 6 hours. I'm confused! Anyone know how this really works? Sunbrite has not responded to my email for clarification.

... The one thing I don't see them fixing in such a slim fixture is the fact that the leds are being run at 2 watts rather than at a full 3. I hope they keep the same price on the newer version.

Hope this helps: The new models are run at about 2.7, up from about 2.5 watts.

I picked up the Slimline S this week, and still haven't been able to figure out the timed sunrise-sunset feature. Pushing the "A" button seems to turn on blue lights, but after that I'm not sure what happens. I don't know if it sets the clock at 12PM (as stated here, which should be noon), or 12AM (as I've seen elsewhere, which would be midnight). I've tried setting it on the assumption that it starts at noon, but when I do that, the lights definitely don't start dimming in 5 or 6 hours. I'm confused! Anyone know how this really works? Sunbrite has not responded to my email for clarification.

I know this probably doesn't help and you already read it; however, I got this from Sunbrite:

3. A standard timer is built in to the remote control unit, once you press it the clock will set at 12.00PM.

4. Sunrise will starts at 6.00am, and will turn on 1 led every 15min starting with 440nm>470nm>white.

5. Sunset starts at 5.00 pm, starting to shut down the white LEDs every 15min. White> 470> 440.

______

Aside from that - I could have taken mine in to exchange for the new model; however, the more I think about it - I'm glad I have the older version (for my set up). The LEDs are not over my overflow, I was able to select from a wide array of color temperature settings and I don't have to worry about the timer setting. I was also wondering, once you do get the timer set up to work - if the power goes out do you have to set it up all over again?

to the guys with the slimline s models, did you guys sort out the timer yet?

Might be purchasing one soon, hopefully if the timer works correctly

I do not have any issues with my unit .It works as stated above in earlier posts . It is pretty much set and forget .I have talked to SB several times . They have answered any emails /answered/ returned any calls I have made to them . Support is better then expected .
One part they advised me that I was skeptcal on was this " mordibv you are going to love this unit " . Yep .. I love the unit .
I was advised by SB I have the first released S model .I do not know what unit Dawn has. It is possible she has a demo unit . Not trying to start a stink here .

Last edited:
For anyone interested, the latest blog post on RB is on the new slimline S

Cool . I just posted on it . The price is correct @ 379.99 . That is what I gave for mine excluding my eagerness to get my hands on one . LOL

@donnie . EA

Last edited:
Back