SUPER telephoto - what would you do?

100% crop with no adjustment done and the sharpness in the camera at the default of 2.

I said 100% crop but really it's just the RAW file zoomed in at 100%. It is RAW in DPP with no sharpening done at all.

The lens has beautiful bokeh too....

and a bird :).

Last edited:
last one's for anyone that might be interested. This lens will literally allow you to reach deep into the forest and still provide resolution and image quality where you can see a spider web :). (off the left of the stump he's on). This image was cropped only vertically. It's been pleasurable to say the least having full resolution images. Usually with these subjects (sometimes even moose!) I'm cropping by 50% (or usually way more) to get a decent sized subject. Sometimes I'd have to crop so hard the pics were great for internet purposes but I'd struggle if I wanted get a good print. Especially a decent sized one.

An example from Florida. This one however was probably cropped by 30-40%. Sure beats the 60-70% I used to have to do with my 300mm.

Last edited:
last one's for anyone that might be interested. This lens will literally allow you to reach deep into the forest and still provide resolution and image quality where you can see a spider web :). (off the left of the stump he's on). This image was cropped only vertically. It's been pleasurable to say the least having full resolution images. Usually with these subjects (sometimes even moose!) I'm cropping by 50% (or usually way more) to get a decent sized subject. Sometimes I'd have to crop so hard the pics were great for internet purposes but I'd struggle if I wanted get a good print. Especially a decent sized one.

Beauty owl! How did you locate it out in the daylight? That is definitely understandable in regards to the cropping. Especially in lower light situations with my 7D, even a small amount of cropping results in a noisy image and lost detail. Sometimes looking on your LCD you think you have a good shot, but when transitioned to a larger screen you see noise and lost detail that you didn't see on the small LCD. Huge bonus to have that extra length.

An example from Florida. This one however was probably cropped by 30-40%. Sure beats the 60-70% I used to have to do with my 300mm.

You nailed the exposure on that egret :)

What is your plan long term on your bodies? I am hoping to get this lens in the spring, but given that our brood is expanding in the fall, that may not be in the cards cost wise. I've been looking at the best of both worlds in terms of IQ, reach of a crop vs. FF body, and focusing system, and I think I'd like to get a used 1D Mark IV if possible to pair with the 500. The more I use my 6D, the more I loathe my 7D in low light, higher ISO situations. But for the very reason you noted with the cropping, with the 400 5.6 I really need the extra reach of the 1.6 crop factor.

Back