T5 bulbs and Icecap ballasts, a must read

freddie40

I wanted to share with you my extensive experience with T5 lamps. Maybe this will help a few people and a few animals. If you'd like to skip the background section skip down to the testing part.

Background
I started out with T5 bulbs about 6 years ago. I first added 1 D&D Blue Plus and 1 Sun bulb with TEK reflectors and a Triad ballast to 4 VHO bulbs. About a year later I switched 2 of the VHO bulbs to 2 more T5 bulbs with TEK reflectors. Another year later I did the same, so I had 6 48" T5 bulbs with TEK reflectors over a 75 gallon tank. 4 were on a Icecap 660 ballast and 2 were on a Triad. My corals were doing good. Over the next 2 years I switched the reflectors to Aquatinic and I switch the 2 on a Triad to a Icecao 660. About 2 years ago I realized that I had too much par so I switched 2 of the bulbs to VHO and then eventually to 2 of the new Icecap Moonlights.

Here is where I really started to notice a problem with my corals. When I first put in new bulbs the LPS corals would be unhappy. After about 2 months the looked good. Within about 6 months the LPS corals looked good, but the SPS did not. I would switch at about that time and the cycle would repeat.

The Test
Starting last year I really notice that the par was visibly low after a few months. So I finally decided to do something about it. I had a Icecap 4 bulb retrofit, 4 new Icecap bulbs and a brand new Icecap 660 ballast. I use the same spot (about 2/3 of the way down) to measure every week. At the beginning I started out with a par of about 250. I measured every week and at about 2 months the par suddenly dropped 30%. This was visible to the naked eye. I was mad. I decided that I need to try different bulbs. SO I put in 4 UVL bulbs. The par was about the same at the beginning and once again the par dropped by 30% at 2 months. I know that Icecap and UVL bulbs are both made by UVL so for the 3rd test. FOr the 3rd test I got some of the new ATI bulbs: 2 of the Blue Plus and 2 of the Purple plus. I installed them and tested the par and it was an astonishing 360. No kidding, it was bright. I ran it thugs way for about 1.5 months and the par stayed exactly the same. At this point I added some pretty cool LPS corals and they immediately started doing poorly. The first thing I did was to switch the front 2 reflectors to TEK. This helped a little bit. I decided that I must do something different to keep my corals alive and maybe make the bulbs last longer. I dumped the Icecap 660 and put 2 brand new Triad ballasts in. This was last week. The par is 260 :) I kept the 2 aquatinic refectories in the back and 2 TEK reflectors in the front. My LPS corals look better.

BTW: I was using 2 icecap 4" fans for cooling 24 hours per day, one on each side of the back of my canopy blowing in.

Conclusion
I am not here to bast Icecap for shortening the life of my bulbs. Either the bulbs were bad (UVL) or it is the Icecap 660. My real conclusion is that if you have a tank 24" or less do yourself a favor and dump that Icecap 660 and get Triad ballasts. You will appreciate it and I am sure your corals will too. Better par (in terms of range for coral growth) and I am assuming better bulb life, plus they run cooler and use less electricity.

If you have and questions or comments please post and I will try and answer them.

Dave

It actually dropped from 360 to 260 with just the change in ballast. 360 was just too much par for my tank.

Dave

Are you going to post updates with results from the Triad ballasts over time?

Do you know what the actual wattage the Triad ballasts draw? (not the manufacturers listed value)

Are you going to post updates with results from the Triad ballasts over time?

I will post results over the next few months.

Do you know what the actual wattage the Triad ballasts draw? (not the manufacturers listed value)

I pulled out my Kill-A-Watt and the Triad pulls 124 watts (2x54 watt bulbs). A Icecap 660 pulls about 303 watts.

After almost 4 months my par is 235. About 90% of what I started with. I am very happy. I did swap 1 of the Purple Plus bulbs for a used Blue Plus. This may explain for a bit of the drop in Par. I am also now using 4 Aquatinic Reflectors.

Dave

So if i were to build a T-5 HO setup from scratch (a 4 bulb setup) Id need 2 ballasts, 4 reflectors, 4 bulbs, and 4 sets of endcaps, right? i think im leaning towards building a canopy for my 55g and pretty much copying freddie40s setup i saw yesterday.
where can i find all of those items?

So if i were to build a T-5 HO setup from scratch (a 4 bulb setup) Id need 2 ballasts, 4 reflectors, 4 bulbs, and 4 sets of endcaps, right? i think im leaning towards building a canopy for my 55g and pretty much copying freddie40s setup i saw yesterday.
where can i find all of those items?

ReefGeek is the best place to get T5 supplies. ATI bulbs are the best, hands down. I am using 3 Blue Plus and 1 Purple Plus. If you need help just LMK.

Dave

I decided to change bulbs today to do a fresh test with the triad ballasts. With 4 new bulbs (2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Purple Plus and 1 Geismann Midday 6000k) and 4 Aquatinic reflectors I am getting a par of 266.

Dave

As of tomorrow I am cutting back on my T5s. I used to have 4 bulbs 2 running from sunrise to 2 hours before sunset, and 2 running from 2 hours after sunrise to sunset. I have added 12 cree Royal Blue LEDs (3 watt) on one row. Tomorrow I am adding 2 more rows, 50% Royal Blue and 50% Cool White. I have cut back to 1 row of T5s running from 2 hours after sunrise to 2 hours before sunset.

I really feel that 4 T5s have not been the best for my tank. Hopefully cutting back on the T5s and adding LEDs will make my tank happier :) Pictures to come.

Dave

I finally finished adding my KEDs today. There are 3 rows with a total of 40 :EDs. The middle row have 12 Cree 3 watt Royal Blue (XP-E). The front and rear rows have 7 Cool White (XP-G) and 7 Royal Blue (XP-E). There are also 4 T5 bulbs in the hood. 2 (Blue+ and Coral+) (the Front and rear bulbs) are on from 12:00PM to 2:30PM and the middle 2 (Blue+ and Coral+) are on from 2:30PM to 5:30PM. I am using TEK reflectors with the bulbs.

Here is a picture with just the LEDs:

led.jpg

Here are the LEDs with 2 of the T5s:

LEDT5.jpg

Back