Tamarin Wrasse Primer.

Congrats on a beautiful Tamarin wrasse, Wester_reefer!
Question, I know you quarantined your Hoeven's wrasse...and I've noted that many people buy them from their LFS out of the "bag" and drip acclimated directly to the tank...what is your thinking process behind this practice, so that I can learn it!
Thanks!!!

Congrats on a beautiful Tamarin wrasse, Wester_reefer!
Question, I know you quarantined your Hoeven's wrasse...and I've noted that many people buy them from their LFS out of the "bag" and drip acclimated directly to the tank...what is your thinking process behind this practice, so that I can learn it!
Thanks!!!

Thanks!
I don't QT any of my fish. :p IMO, its a better idea to buy sensitive fish still in the wholesaler bag as you will have a higher success rate than buying it when the LFS put it into their holding tanks. But that's just my opinion.

Well, I've had my Tamarin for 13 days and so far so good. He doesn't eat any frozen foods that I know of yet. But, I think he is eating live baby brine shrimp as hes got a pretty full belly at all times.

I have 2 juvenile anampses caeruleopunctatus
Caught locally.

One is a fully juvenile (first pic)
The second is starting to change to its adult colour (second pic)

Both pretty hardy, eat whatever I feed and are constantly foraging in tank.

Attachments

• user5475_pic4029_1289197750.jpg
    user5475_pic4029_1289197750.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 5
I have 2 juvenile anampses caeruleopunctatus
Caught locally.

One is a fully juvenile (first pic)
The second is starting to change to its adult colour (second pic)

Both pretty hardy, eat whatever I feed and are constantly foraging in tank.

Very nice! I wish I could catch fish locally and put them in my tank. lol

Here is a pic of their full adult colouration.

Funnily enough on the day I caught them I spend hours chasing a couple of adults (without success), not realizing they were the same fish.

Attachments

• a6752_lg.jpg
    a6752_lg.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 6
Meleagrides, Lineatus and Twisti are all possibilities.
Not normally seen in our rockpools, but they are listed as being on this coast.

Going to be doing a bit of scuba catching this season, so I may get lucky.
Juveniles are just starting to come in at the moment.

Last edited:
Mmeleagrides, Lineatus and Twisti are all possibilities.
Not normally seen in our rockpools, but they are listed as being on this coast.

Going to be doing a bit of scuba catching this season, so I may get lucky.
Juveniles are just starting to come in at the moment.

Very nice!!

when i get a delicate fish such as tamarins i dont even drip acclimate them ,,its simply a temp acclimate then directly into the display tank for mine . the water in most shipping bags is so littered that when you add oxygen it only spikes the ph and that's much more stressful then them getting into my pristine water . i have not battled ick in doing so but i do dose the DT with prazi pro with every new addition .

Hey Brett,as per instructions ,off the top of my head use 1oz per 120 gal and i have 360 gallons so its 3oz for my system . i remove carbon and definitely turn off the skimmer as it will go wild ! i leave everything alone for 5 days to a week then reinstall the carbon and wait one day to turn on skimmer . i use the old carbon the first day then when i turn on my skimmer i add new carbon . keep an eye on the skimmer as it may still overflow .oops forgot to tell ya that i do redose on the third or fourth day . i always pay attention to my ph when dosing anything but the prazi pro doesn't change it at all . i would no suggest it but i have doubled the strength in an attempt to eradicate worms with no ill effects coming from the double dose that i could see .
thats how i do it and im sticking to it !

oh yea, i forgot to mention that it is reef safe and i have never had anything die or look like it was distresses from its use ,from inverts to fish to corals etc,etc,etc....

Well, my Tamarin Wrasse is doing very, very well so far. He has a very nice full fat belly! Woot! But, he would sometimes chase his reflection on the glass when I clean the glass. lol

just got a blue spot tamarin and a dusky today ! they will be very good additions to my community tank .
best wishes Western ! thay are very cool .

Here is the best pic I could get at feeding time of my little harem. Tamarin wrasses need LOTS of feedings.

picture.php

Back