Tank of the Month - January '07

Nice work Alberto

Nice work Alberto

Avete uno dei carri armati migliore-progettati che ho visto mai. Assolutamente bello. Ringraziamenti per la compartecipazione con noi!

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to say to be careful when using translators like Babel Fish - it is translating 'tank' as 'carro armato' which means armoured car lol! Best say 'aquarium' instead!

Paul

Nice Tank! I have a question about your grow-out tank. Is it really outside? The sun gives it all the light it needs? where do you live? Does it require a super heater in the winter, and chiller in the summer? How much sun does it get a day would you say? I would like to do something simmilare myself.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8990205#post8990205 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by whatnot45
Nice Tank! I have a question about your grow-out tank. Is it really outside? The sun gives it all the light it needs? where do you live? Does it require a super heater in the winter, and chiller in the summer? How much sun does it get a day would you say? I would like to do something simmilare myself.

Scrivo in italiano...qualcuno tradurrà :D

si la vaschetta delle talee è posta all'esterno dell'abitazione, sul balcone praticamente....l'unica fonte di luce è data dal sole....in particolare si nota un effetto straordinario...le talee appena inserite, a "contatto" con la luce del sole diventano chiarissime....l'espulsione delle zooxantelle è massiccia....dopo pochi giorni che si trovano nel nuovo ambiente prendono colori molto belli e molto naturali....questo grazie alla penetrazione della luce solare, che ha un potere ossidativo molto elevato(rispetto alle hqi che usiamo noi....)
Alberto vive a Roma, centro Italia....(come me :D)
in inverno il sole da noi sorge verso le 7:30 am e tramonta verso le 5:00 pm....
il sistema di refrigerazione è in fase di modifiche ad opera di FRA2....
altro non sò dirvi..spero di essere stato utile ;)

ciao Fabio!

Congrats on the Tank of The Month! Absolutely gorgeous! I have a 150gal that is progressing into something special. My water color is tinted yellow. I do moderate water changes about every 2 weeks, but still no change. Looking for some answers. I have a sohal, achilles, bristletooth, atlantic blue tang, along with a grey angel, 2 damsels and 1 gold striped maroon. My corals are doing okay, but the frog spawn after a large water change has not fully recovered. It is struggling a bit. Everything else is fully exposed and thriving.

inspiredaqua: Using activated carbon will remove the yellow tint to the water. A brand I like to use is Marineland's Black Diamond. I place mine in a fine mesh filter bag in a decent flow area of my sump so that water passes through it. It can also be placed in a canister filter or any other type of filter system.

Thanks... I placed some activated carbon in my protein skimmer and in my 2 canister filters and the clarity is amazing. That was in a matter of 2hrs. Its funny, I did have carbon before and took it out because I was afraid that it was going to strip the necessary calcium and iodine in the tank. When I had it in before I started corals, it was clear, but thought it would harm the corals. Glad I registered to this site.

Any recommendations on re-establishing pipe corals and frogspawn? They seem to be there but not as full as I would like them to be.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8990205#post8990205 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by whatnot45
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9010363#post9010363 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sir
Scrivo in italiano...qualcuno tradurrà :D
Ecchime... anvedi però, nessun'altro? :D

OK, let's translate (literally).

"Yes, the propagation tank is outside, on the balcony... the only light source is natural sun... we observed an exceptional bleaching as soon as a frag is placed "in touch" with sunlight.... zooxantelle are almost totally expelled... after a few days in such new environment frags gets some lovely colours, really natural.... this is due to strong light and its higher "light induced oxydation" (compared to metal halydes lamps)

Alberto lives in Rome, centre of Italy... (like me
- Fabio, and like me, Sergioc ;) ).
During winter sunrise is about at 7.30am and sunset at 5pm

The cooling system is about to be reworked by FRA2....

ciao Fabio!"

And now my question: what about UV burn? Do they hurt?

Sergioc

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9045313#post9045313 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by onefin
Beautiful

Very nice... I have a question. My montipora plate coral like what you have at the top, is turning white inward. Is something going wrong here? I also don't know if my frog spawn will come back. It is struggling a bit. Please help?

Fantastic tank!

I am very interested in the soundproofing. What did you do to soundproof and what did you use?

thanks

Back