Tank of the Month - November 2002

Skipper

Premium Member
This month we are featuring Ryan Baker's (rbaker) beautiful 180 gallon soft coral reef tank:

More details can be found here or by clicking on the picture above.

Congratulations, Ryan! U go, boy! :)

Ryan, Great tank!!!

I am very interested in your baffle set up in the refugium. Can you explain how to set it up? I will be setting up a 150 refugium and 100 gal sump that will be in the basement and I need to control turbulance in the refugium.

Thanks

Looks like a great mix of coral types coupled with elegant coral placement -- great job.

Impressive plumbing arrangment too -- 40' across the house and up a level!

I'm curious if you've ever tried unplugging one of the skimmers for a few days/weeks? It *might* be the case that some of those softies would benefit from a little more organic content in the water. (Or maybe not).

KenT said:
Ryan, Great tank!!!

I am very interested in your baffle set up in the refugium. Can you explain how to set it up? I will be setting up a 150 refugium and 100 gal sump that will be in the basement and I need to control turbulance in the refugium.

Thanks

Ken,

Thanks...

The baffle is very simple. The PVC pipe comes thru the top of the box and forms a "U" at the bottom. I drilled 3- 2" holes at the bottom of the right side of the box. The water and bubbles are sent to the top of the box where the bubbles pop. The water leaves the box via the holes on the side. I got the idea from my downdraft skimmers :)

Ryan

Ryan, I see that you have lots of "fast spreading" softies like xenia. How often do you have to cut them down to size?

Stix said:
Ryan, I see that you have lots of "fast spreading" softies like xenia. How often do you have to cut them down to size?

Stix,

The Xenia and the hairy mushrooms are the only things I pay special attention to. I prune them as needed to keep them in check. I let most everything thing else fight for their space on the reef. I only step in when something is in danger of dying...

Ryan

Ryan, awesome display you got there. I would like to ask if you think the stoneys have a hard time with chemical warfare from the softies. They seem to be doing great all mixed together and you are surely doing something right. Any insight appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

in2deep,

I haven't had any problems with chemical warfare in my tank. I do however run carbon most of the time and have a lot of waterflow.

I do have problems with the sweeper tenticles sent out by my LPS corals...

Thanks,

Ryan

This is absurd . Another TOTM dominated with softies and LPS and ,,,,,,,,,what ??????? softies ????????? LPS ??????

Did I count right ? 6 species of SPS and 17 ,,,,,,, SEVENTEEN species of soft corals ???????????? And and even 6 up on the SPS to LPS count .

IS this RC ? Wow , who nominated this tank ? Who would have ever thought this tank was worthy of TOTM ?????????? What a find , I would like to shake the hand of the guy who suggested this one .

Sorry skipper , I had to poke .

Ryan ,

What can I say man , one helluva setup you have there . I'm so glad to see all your hard work pay off with such an honor . Your tank is awesome and as worthy of TOTM as any others I have seen . Your dedication to the hobby is easily seen .

P.S. dude , you need to add one more LPS so they out number the SPS .

Nice pick skipper , thanks for adding the variety we have asked for .

After looking at all the pics & reading the info, I must say its very inovative, well set-up & the tank is even more beautiful than the first time I looked.

Superb choice !

stand construction

stand construction

I am getting ready to build a stand for a 180 gallon tank and I liked the looks of your stand. The slide show was good. I was wondering if you had a list of materials that you used to construct the stand and even plans if you had them. I was going to use 2x4's as internal bracing, but now that I have seen your tank, I guess there is no need to. The lighter the better. Did you glue the lumber together to make the front area? What did you use to make the doors. Again great stand and tanks.
Thanks for the information

Wellington

I see that you are housing SPS's with in your tank. What is your growth rate and sucess rate with these is association with such a large number of soft corals. I have a tank that is soft corals and lps and I have never been able to keep most sps's alive. The sps's that I have kept in the tank had almost zero growth.

Please explain your R.O. system. It looks as though you have the output of 1 RO running into the input of a second RO unit??

Have you ever had a cyno bacteria outbreak?

Thanks,

Max

[moved]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back