Teflon Tape vs. Rectorseal T Plus 2 Pipe Thread Sealant?

Kengar

Test-fill of tank has a slow drip out both bottom bulkheads (for closed-loop setup). Not sure whether it's coming from inside the ball valve unions, or the nipple connections used to connect the valves to the bulkheads.

Having read recently about using Rectorseal T Plus 2 Pipe Thread Sealant instead of teflon tape (at least in connection with screwing fittings into ABS bulkheads and not cracking them), that's what I used to connect plastic nipple to each of the bulkheads and the ball valve female threads. (I have always used teflon tape previously, but not ABS bulkheads, so never had to worry about cracking them.) Now I'm wondering whether teflon tape would be better. The plastic nipples, bulkheads (schedule 80), and valve fitting ends are all PVC, so I could provide several wraps and really "honker down" on the assembly.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Teflon tape is for metallic threads only..
It should never be used on plastic fittings no matter if they are ABS or PVC or any other plastic resin..
Its for metallic threads like brass or steel/iron,etc...

"hunker down" (not honker btw) has no place in this hobby either..
Hunker down with your teflon tape somewhere else :p

You said bulkhead..
Is the flange size and rubber washer of the bulkhead inside the tank (in the wet area) and only the plastic nut on the outside (dry side)?
Bulkheads are usually just fine with "hand tight" (snug) and then 1/2 turn.
Also ensure you aren't placing any off axis stress on the bulkheads due to weight of the objects hanging off them or being pushed off center.

You said bulkhead..
Is the flange size and rubber washer of the bulkhead inside the tank (in the wet area) and only the plastic nut on the outside (dry side)?

Yes. Correct install of the bulkhead. The retaining nut is a little hard to access as it's surrounded by the plywood and foam under the tank, so hard to grab ahold of it to snug it up firmly against the glass. But dripping seems to be coming from elsewhere besides under the flange and through the hole.

If it is coming from the threads, all it means is that your personal definition of "˜too much rectorseal T2' is a little on the light side.

As Mcgyver posted- depending on how many wraps of Teflon tape you add to a pvc thread, it'll only fit partly on your fitting and could split at the seam if you force it. Teflon is for metal fittings only, but it is extremely common to see it on pvc in this hobby, and it's a source of many slow leak issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back