Tentacle condition of Heteractis Magnifica

Thanks to bradleym and gris for their feedback on water temperature.
relieved.
Thank you for answering the questions of a beginner like me.

I got my first sea anemone a few years ago. It was a very beautiful Heteractis crispa, but due to my ignorance, I made a big mistake. I thought photosynthesis was necessary, so I suddenly exposed it to direct sunlight. In the blink of an eye, he vomited a large amount of zooxanthellae, turned white and died. I regret it very much.

Because of that bitter experience, I stopped keeping sea anemones. However, I couldn't forget their charm and bought anemones for the first time in several years. Currently, I am slowly experimenting with the strength of the light by layering several layers of blackout sheets on the aquarium light.

I don't think there are many people in Japan who keep sea anemones for long periods of time. Information is missing. But I'm so lucky to have found this wonderful forum. I look forward to learning from you, observe them carefull, and gaining experience.

I would like to create a separate "Basic Care" thread for beginners like me. I would appreciate it if you could reply when you have time.
Many thanks.

Last edited:
@Ameya Here is an older article on anemones. Click the link below and then click the Download button in the upper right hand corner of the page. This may be helpful as there is a lot of relevant information in the article.

Sorry for being late.
Thank you for your interest in my anemone.

View attachment 32395075
This is an anemone from Okinawa.
The water flow is completely stopped.
The tips of the tentacles are yellowish-white tips.
The body color is the same as the tentacles, skin color.
The open size is approximately 20 cm (6 inches?)

Mine looked almost like your when I got it.

The picture makes it look light in color but it was brown with white tips.
I almost lost it to a bacteria infection and had to be treated with antibiotics.

20201118_163208 (2).jpg

This is what it looks like now:

20230910_140044.jpg

Last edited:
@Ameya Here is an older article on anemones. Click the link below and then click the Download button in the upper right hand corner of the page. This may be helpful as there is a lot of relevant information in the article.
Oh, thank you very much.
I was able to download it successfully. And I translated everything.

It was very helpful !!
I no longer need to start a thread for beginners. I only ask questions when I have a detailed problem that is not covered here.
Thank you so much!

Mine looked almost like your when I got it.
The picture makes it look light in color but it was brown with white tips.
I almost lost it to a bacteria infection and had to be treated with antibiotics.

This is what it looks like now:
Thanks for your photos and views.
It certainly looks like my Okinawa!
The actual color is browner than the photo, but by coincidence, my Okinawa was pinkish when I got it, just like your photo.

I could also see the change (growth) in the tentacles in the second photo. I now understand that the shape of the chip, like shown in the first photo, is not the difference between the species. thank you.

My Okinawa swallowed a 0.5 inch shrimp fillet for about 10 minutes today.If his condition were better, II'm sure he'll eat faster. I will continue to watch over him. I hope I can report better changes.

Last edited:
Let me ask you a question about light.
I use LED aquarium lights. My light balance is relatively whitish.
However, I felt that photos with blue-ish light were common here.
I thought Magnifica might be living in relatively shallow water, so I thought daylight color would be good. But maybe I'm wrong and they prefer blue light?

Last edited:
I thought Magnifica might be living in relatively shallow water, so I thought daylight color would be good. But maybe I'm wrong and they prefer blue light?
No, you are absolutely right, the white light is better. Magnifica and Gigantea anemones both come from high light, high flow environments, and their tank environments should match this for the best chances of success.

The strong blue lighting you see is because it is attractive (to most people), and because LED lighting is so strong that you can get a high white light output, and then increase the blue output far beyond that for appearances. Blue lighting alone will cause the anemone to develop intense coloration, but does not really improve it's health - the white light is needed for this.

Blue lighting alone will cause the anemone to develop intense coloration, but does not really improve it's health - the white light is needed for this.
Thank you for reply. Understood. I see! When less light hits a plant's leaves, the amount of chlorophyll increases and the green color becomes darker. I thought it might be the same phenomenon.

Please let me ask you more questions.

There are many types of LED "plant" grow lights on the market today. Is this appropriate considering the photosynthesis of zooxanthellae? Are some people using "plant" grow lights to illuminate their anemones?

Also, since it is currently winter in Japan, the sun is at a lower angle and shines into the room through the window. I'm afraid of sunlight because I've lost a sea anemone to direct sunlight in the past. But on the other hand, I also think anemones want lots of light.

Is it okay if winter sunlight enters the room and hits the aquarium through a single piece of frosted glass with no curtains? Is that good for them? Or do you think it's unstable and dangerous?

Last edited:
No, you are absolutely right, the white light is better. Magnifica and Gigantea anemones both come from high light, high flow environments, and their tank environments should match this for the best chances of success.

The strong blue lighting you see is because it is attractive (to most people), and because LED lighting is so strong that you can get a high white light output, and then increase the blue output far beyond that for appearances. Blue lighting alone will cause the anemone to develop intense coloration, but does not really improve it's health - the white light is needed for this.

Honestly mine in the picture above is not under bright light.
The tank is 48"x36"x14".

I only run 4 Kessil a360x and they are mounted I would say over 30" above the water. I do use lenses on them to focus the light more.
I think last time I tested it was under 150 par. That is not allot of light and I am surprised it does this well because people say it shouldn't.
He is sitting directly below the surface in med to high flow that pulses..
I feed a few pieces of krill every couple of weeks.

I do run a whiter spectrum than most.

I am adding two more Kessils to the mix but I am a little nervous because this guy has done so well under this lighting. I have some of the best coloration right now and afraid to mess with it. I am adding some higher light corals now though. I may just turn down the lights some around the anemone and keep it at the same par.

They do come from shallower water so yea white light higher par would be normal. I have seen pictures at low tide them sitting out of the water.

Yea corals should be given light closer to their environment. Things have got to blue for my taste. I like to be able to see my fish.

Last edited:

Problem is cameras have a issue with blue led and unless you use a filter or edit it out they seem way more blue than they really are.

I also feel Magnificas do much better when fed. They have a mouth and take food. I feel it helps them fight off diseases like bacteria infections in which this anemone seems to get allot. It makes them far more healthy.

Also feeding makes the anemone and coral rely less on their zooxanthellae which is brown. So you get a more colorful anemone without all that brown zooxanthellae. People forget zooxanthellae produce glucose for the coral and anemone. How would you feel if you had nothing but sugar everyday all day.

Last edited:
Thank you for your detailed answer.
I'm a newbie so I'm learning everything from everyone on the forum. thanks so much.

My only luck as a beginner is that the tank I currently have my anemones in is one that has been maintained for over 10 years.Previously, all I had to do was go to the nearby ocean, and fill my tank with the sea urchins, spider stars, small crabs, small shrimp, shellfish, seaweed, etc. I collected there. My aquarium looked very lonely. So recently, I bought an anemone that I was able to come across at a shop in Tokyo.

However, I was shocked to learn that Magnifica is one of the most difficult anemones to care for. This is probably not the kind of anemone that a beginner like me should keep. But now that I have it, I have a responsibility. I will study here and do my best. If he lived a long time, it would be a dream come true for me.

Last edited:
Thank you for your detailed answer.
I'm a newbie so I'm learning everything from everyone on the forum. thanks so much.

My only luck as a beginner is that the tank I currently have my anemones in is one that has been maintained for over 10 years.Previously, all you had to do was go to the nearby ocean and fill my tank with the sea urchins, spider stars, small crabs, small shrimp, shellfish, seaweed, etc. I collected there. My aquarium looked very lonely. So recently, I bought an anemone that I was able to come across at a shop in Tokyo.

However, I was shocked to learn that Magnifica is one of the most difficult anemones to care for. This is probably not the kind of anemone that a beginner like me should keep. But now that I have it, I have a responsibility. I will study here and do my best. If he lived a long time, it would be a dream come true for me.

They are not easy like a Bubble tip and left for the more advanced. Biggest issue at least here in NA is when they come in they are usually in ruff shape. Most have a bacterial infection for some reason. It can be treated if you know how. I can see antibiotics getting band in the hobby soon. They are being abused now buy some. With the threat of resistant strains of bacteria now.

Once they are settled they can be relatively hardy if you have a stable aquarium. Those who like to constantly mess with their aquariums too they are not good for. If things change they can wander and make it into pumps.

I also feel Magnificas do much better when fed. They have a mouth and take food. I feel it helps them fight off diseases like bacteria infections in which this anemone seems to get allot. It makes them far more healthy.

Also feeding makes the anemone and coral rely less on their zooxanthellae which is brown. So you get a more colorful anemone without all that brown zooxanthellae. People forget zooxanthellae produce glucose for the coral and anemone. How would you feel if you had nothing but sugar everyday all day.
Thank you...
In Japan, it is said that there is no need to feed captive sea anemones. I realized that was inaccurate. Follow your advice and I use a combination of zooxanthellae and feeding.

I was surprised to hear that you treated bacterial infections in sea anemones with antibiotics. I feel like I will never be able to master such advanced techniques....but I will learn them little by little and gain experience!!

I don't know if my light settings are too weak or too strong, and I'm having trouble thinking about it every day. Even with LED lights, if they are too close or too bright, will anemones still cause "bleaching"? Is it also stressful that the irradiation time is too long? ?

I observe him on a diagonal rock. If they didn't like my lighting setup, they would move it. That's my only criterion now..... I need to acquire more knowledge.....

Last edited:
when they come in they are usually in ruff shape. Most have a bacterial infection for some reason.
Really!!!
What kind of state is "in ruff shape"?.... Sorry for my lack of understanding of English.
It can be treated if you know how. I can see antibiotics getting band in the hobby soon.
One of my Magnificas still hasn't closed its mouth tightly since I bought it. The situation is improving..but I am worried. when you have time, please let me know how!!

Last edited:
Thank you...
In Japan, it is said that there is no need to feed captive sea anemones. I realized that was inaccurate. Follow your advice and I use a combination of zooxanthellae and feeding.

Well some people do not feed them. There are also allot of different anemones.
Mags to me I just feel they do so much better with food and have more color.
Mags can get huge. Hard to tell but the one in my picture above is over a foot and a half wide. It was maybe 4 or 5 inches when I got it.
Feeding them makes them grow faster too.

Bubble tips I would not directly feed because they can grow and split pretty rapidly. Well unless you are trying to get multiple or farm them. They will also capture some of the food from my clowns so they get some food anyway.

I wish you luck.

Thank you...

I don't know if my light settings are too weak or too strong, and I'm having trouble thinking about it every day. Even with LED lights, if they are too close or too bright, will anemones still cause "bleaching"? Is it also stressful that the irradiation time is too long? ?

I observe him on a diagonal rock. If they didn't like my lighting setup, they would move it. That's my only criterion now..... I need to acquire more knowledge.....

Mags can tolerate allot of light. They do come from shallower water. Any coral or anemone can bleach if there is too much light. If you have to much light allot of corals and anemones will close up or shrink. Shrinking makes less surface area which = less light taken in. Mags also will move if not happy to the area with the amount of light they like.. If the light is to low some corals and anemones will expand creating more surface area to absorb more light.

Really!!!
What kind of state is "in ruff shape"?.... Sorry for my lack of understanding of English.

One of my Magnificas still hasn't closed its mouth tightly since I bought it. The situation is improving..but I am worried. If you have time, please let me know how!!

Signs of a bacteria infection can me open mouth, closing up, or with mine it actually could not hold on to the rock.

pic of mine in treatment.:

1705356238946.png

This link is how to do it:

OrionN is one of the more experienced anemone keepers out there. @D-Nak is another experienced anemone keeper.
I have allot of respect for those guys.

OrionN is one of the more experienced anemone keepers out there. @D-Nak is another experienced anemone keeper.
I have allot of respect for those guys.
Yep, probably the two most knowledgeable people in the hobby when it comes to anemones.

@OrionN i think the OP would benefit from your knowledge.

I think he is banned for some reason. Says moved on.
Not sure why that would be, he certainly does not seem like the type to get banned.. I still see post by him so he is still in the hobby.
I also think he may have updated his recommendation for treating anemones.

I think he is banned for some reason. Says moved on.
Not sure why that would be, he certainly does not seem like the type to get banned.. I still see post by him so he is still in the hobby.
I also think he may have updated his recommendation for treating anemones.
He's not banned. With the new software, the user name would have a strikethrough if a member is banned. Maybe he put that as his title as a joke?

Back