Terrible LFS experience

Nola Bear

So I've only been in the hobby for a little more than a year now and I'm still learning new things every day. That being said, I frequent the various local fish stores in the area, and I still come to marine warehouse every once in a while. But no more. I came today with my sister and my three-year-old daughter to buy water. As I paid for two corals and 15 gallons of water and checked out, there was an issue with one of the 5 gallon jugs of water. My sister noticed that her jug was missing and had been replaced by another. She simply asked to see if her jug might have been taken by someone else by accident. Ultimately, she wanted to know that she was getting the right water. And she wanted the jug that she came with, and why not? Not that big of a deal, right? Anyway, the guy who worked there explained that the reason they did not give her her jug back and decided to replace with another is that the salt water salinity was off. This was confusing. So I asked what the salinity was at and he said it was off. That's it. I asked them what salt water did we just buy, and he showed me about 30 jugs of water that had been stacked and sitting in the back room. They would not tell me how long the water had been sitting, and when I asked for them to check the salinity. They, without exaggeration, became hostile, offensive, and refused. I have never been to any LFS that would not check the salinity of water that you were buying. I am amazed at how they acted, And I am appalled by their business ethics and customer service. I asked who the owner of the store was, and the guy said that he was. I'm not sure that I believe him. I just imagine someone who owns and runs an aquarium store wouldn't be so petty and disrespectful, especially to a paying customer with a young child no less. When I told him that we lived in the days of Yelp and forums, he said to make sure that I get his name right. It was Bryan.

Amazed and disgusted

I have visited a few LFS's over the past 3 years since moving here from Michigan. I can also say, the above and a couple others which I won't mention, are some of the biggest Ahole stores I have visited in this industry in the 31 years participating in this hobby. I can honestly say these few stores have driven me to buy online ...... ya ya ya, I know, don't support these stores and we won't have LFS's ....... but with retailers like the above, who really cares?

Marine warehouse really does suck, I was looking for an aqualifter pump for an ato and the kid behind the counter had no idea what I meant by aqua lifter or ato.

Just go down the road to FAOIS....Going into MW is like going into Walmart, Nothing good can come out of it......

Never been there (everything a bit of a drive for me coming from St. Pete). Sea Life on 34th ST N in St. Pete has been great for anyone in my area!

Good to see drama still going on in Tampa 😄. I don't have any of this in Dallas. But yeah, if you can't provide the salinity of the water you're purchasing, it may not be worth risking any wet goods coming from that place

Thank you for solidifying my opinion about that store. The place is way too packed and that seems to stress the employees out and then they take it out on the customers, so it may be a never ending cycle.

I actually like the store, just a little over priced. Every time I've been in people seem super nice and go out of their way to make sure I'm take care of.

Granted I went in yesterday for a fish and a blue plus and they were overpriced 20 and 10 respectively and I left without either of them.

For me it's convenience to the Veterns and I'll usually pay extra to save 30 mins of drive time.

Sorry about your experience.

Good to see drama still going on in Tampa ��. I don't have any of this in Dallas. But yeah, if you can't provide the salinity of the water you're purchasing, it may not be worth risking any wet goods coming from that place

Well , Well..... Look who it is.

Do you even have Saltwater fish stores in Dallas??

Water is the foundation of this hobby. It controls all of our success.

I agree, crummy service is always upsetting. Putting one LFS against each other is relative considering it can happen anywhere. It is a constant variable.

Personally for me, I wouldn't mind buying everything else, but water. Recognizing the importance of good quality water, I am willing to go through the expense of making it myself.

Thanksgiving sales are very strong this year. Treat yourself a nice RO system. You probably will pay for it your first year depending on your demand. I personally love BRS. GREAT customer service!

Even if the employee handed you the water with a smile and didn't know it was contaminated with exhausted filters because another employee dropped the ball would put you in the same position.

Take Care -

Well said BobbyV. When I was nearing 6 months with my tank, i was still buying water and was from a lfs that I liked and owner was nice and I got 1.020 water. Wasn't thrilled about it. Was told it was 1.025. I still go there but, I own my own ro/di lol. It seems anywhere you go (near me) the water was off one way or another. You just never know unless you're testing on the spot. And I'm really meticulous, maybe OCD about somethings lol.

Speaking of R/O systems,my wife unknowingly bought an overpriced system from Marine Warehouse as a Christmas gift for me. We decided to return the system(unopened) back to MW several days after Christmas. What an ordeal that was. Bryan gave us such attitude & rude remarks,since then I haven't bought a thing from that store.:wavehand: Maybe he forgot or doesn't care that there are 4 other stores within miles of his.

Investing in a RODI system is such a a great decision for a reefer. Being able to make perfect water at home whenever you please is so convenient and hassle free.

Maybe that's why some LFS's can get a little ticked off about it because its very silly to literally drive to a store bring in a ton of containers, literally pay for filtered/salinated H20 and lug them all the way back home, then lug them from your car to your tank. Maybe some people just need the reminder that they can own their own system and make their own lives easier and cheaper in the long run.

Being Lazy == Being Smart

Back