Terry's 180 Peninsula Reef build.

Looks great ! Just bought a house and got the green light for a 180. Saw the AI at Tom's and thought they were a lot of light for the money

So far, I have been really impressed by the Hydras. I would have to say the Kessil A360's had a better, more natural looking shimmer, but the color and control-ability on the Hydra's beats out the Kessils.

Some pics of the new lights, water was a bit cloudy, as I had just stirred up the sandbed. I also added some fans to the fixture to help keep the Hydras cool.

bf025fce2f98bf455e4641bd1c7f77e1.jpg

287b4d4e3c89b1db097c4348559fd815.jpg

9b024bd3b7574b4eca5c7a1b4c7f677b.jpg

8b7574d4636544e208c2b9abecf2d55b.jpg

63eaef163d1da42077bfb13e3800e31b.jpg

b4e0326bb5a8be1bc713174ed3048183.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cool setup, I checked out your sump room walkthrough video too. Very nice tank and behind the scenes setup! I'm building my 120 setup from the basement up, and it's always good to see the way other people have thought it through. I'm really trying to do things better than my last setup, which had a lot of get-r-done going on...lol. I like how your plumbing allows you to isolate the reservoir tank for water changes without disrupting flow to the display.

Looks awesome man!

It’s lost on video, but I’ll adk here. My corals are settled in and growing great. Running the kessil AP700 along with ATI Blue+ x2. Are your SPS as colored up as you might get with halides? Mine are still pastel appearing despite good growth. Frustrating.

What’s your lighting schedule?
Out of curiosity, what setting are you using on the “cans”?

Thanks for posting Terry!

Looks awesome man!

It's lost on video, but I'll adk here. My corals are settled in and growing great. Running the kessil AP700 along with ATI Blue+ x2. Are your SPS as colored up as you might get with halides? Mine are still pastel appearing despite good growth. Frustrating.

What's your lighting schedule?
Out of curiosity, what setting are you using on the "œcans"?

Thanks for posting Terry!

I've used basically every type of lighting, T5, Radion, Ocean Revive, Kessil, Black Box, you name it. I have never had halides. I got into the hobby as they were going out of vogue. So I cannot compare.

I will say, I always LOVED my Kessil A360W-E's, one of them died, which prompted the switch the the Hydra 26HDs.

I am absolutely LOVING the A360X's. They ramp from 0-20% color, and from 0-80% intensity before ramping back down.

A couple of nice things about the 360X's... They ramp all the way to 0%, whereas the 360W-Es cut out at like 10%. They also have control over the individual color channels, including the UV.

I am going to do a full breakdown video on the Kessils in the next few weeks.

Agreed on the 10%, same applies to the AP 700. It’s tge reason I hung Into my Gen 3 rations and didn’t go to 2 AP700s. How long are your Blue + running?

I think I have them set to run from 10am-5pm.

I am sitting here at 7 am, watching the Kessils slowly ramp up, and the color and shimmer is just incredible.

I have an AI Prime on the 25 gallon cube on the other side of the living room, and there really is no comparison. It's a nice light, but it cannot compare.

Man, I've gotta find a Todd's (Tom's) torch frag again. I had a nice one going when I moved...
Any chance I can reserve a frag for about 6 months from now?

Tank looks great . Do you think 3 hydras would be enough for 6' 180 or would u go kessel ? Hoping to avoid supplemental t5 . My waterbox promotes hydra . Slick L mounts have a nice clean look . Not sure how 3 pucks/ 4 pucks would look . Your flooring looks great. Just bought a new truck. Have to buy flooring before setting up the tank . What type of flooring did you use ? I' m leaning towards hardwood. I don't need end to end perfect coverage. Thinking 2 or three islands mixed reef .

I think 3 Hydra 26's would not be enough without supplemental T5. I think 3 Kessil A30X's would not be enough without supplemental T5.

I don't know that I would run LED without supplemental T5.

I personally like the Kessils drastically more than the Hydra 26 HDs. I like that the Hydras are WiFi controllable. It is absolutely silly that Kessil and EcoTech are not including onboard WiFi at this point.

However, I prefer the performance of the Kessil, as well as form factor.

The floors are Bamboo. If you go back to the beginning of this thread you can see pics of the install.

Terry,

Nice tank......looks really good. I have been following your thread. Thanks for sharing. Off on a side note, I have also installed bamboo flooring. But I am experiencing some "Cupping". Would you share a couple of things? Are you seeing any "Cupping" on your floors? Was your subfloor a concrete slab? If so, what kind of glue etc. did you use.

Thanks,

Dean

Terry,

Nice tank......looks really good. I have been following your thread. Thanks for sharing. Off on a side note, I have also installed bamboo flooring. But I am experiencing some "Cupping". Would you share a couple of things? Are you seeing any "Cupping" on your floors? Was your subfloor a concrete slab? If so, what kind of glue etc. did you use.

Thanks,

Dean

The subfloor is plywood. I nailed down the flooring. You can see a slight "hump" in the flooring where the paper underneath was overlapped.

In the summer, when the house is more humid, you can feel a slight ridge where the boards meet, but no not really a cupping.

Thought of you're giant tank when I made this video- not sure how much it is taking to heat your tanks, but it might be worth it
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GVrCGSLD1Zo" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Extremely nice video.

Terry, love your tank, it's awesome. I am also looking into adding T5s to my Kessil. Quick question: did the brackets for hanging come with the fixture, or you had to improvise?
Thank you

Back