Terry's 180 Peninsula Reef build.

The stand was pretty seriously rusty. It just has me concerned about a potential issue.

Would there be any harm in going over the seams with a fat bead of silicone?

I don't think there's any harm in doing that, but it may not be worth the effort. I'm not sure how well new silicone bonds to the old stuff, plus you will still want to prep the glass. It may make you feel better because you did something, but nothing that really makes a difference.

It's probably a good idea to post this question in the DIY or Large Tank Forums. See what folks have to say.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Is that a Miracles tank? If so, they place 5/8" thick white styrofoam board between the tank and the plywood.

Looking for help getting this beast into the basement, maybe this weekend. I would appreciate all the help I can get. I pay in beer, food, and I.O.Us

Moving the tank tomorrow at 10. Coffee and doughnuts at 9:30.

21 Johnsdale Terrace, Hilton. I would appreciate and and all help.

Thanks in advance.

Anybody else showing up to help:
Regardless of whether or not I can help- I will give you a frag of something.

Skip church [emoji106]
I wish I could, but it's my son's first time singing in the choir...the supreme commander would have none of that [emoji23]

Done. Thank you to those who were able to come help!
f063a4743ee0a0cc1109bd0dc2a1dfa0.jpg
b504c739beac477084a4477c9394805c.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Looks huge. You going to run both tanks? Also you should start a new build thread for this monster!

I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway...

There is a crack in the Eurobrace on the top in the middle. If I were to "wrap" the top of the tank in 2x4s when I frame out the wall, would I need to replace the cracked piece of glass?

Replace the glass.
2nd this thought too. That shouldn't be that bad of a DIY project.

I have also seen bigger tanks that have a metal frame around the top with cross braces that would accomplish the same goal, but then you need to figure out the proper material to use and what needs to be done to it to ensure it lasts.

If the top of the tank will be hidden, I would also consider siliconing a new piece to the existing one, like sistering a floor joist. Miracles may offer advice too.

You can get it at Flower City Glass. I'm guessing it is 1/2in thick? The euro bracing is tempered, so you will want to get that and beveled edges. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a couple hundred dollars.

Back