The 480gal Fish Condo Has Begun

I would have to agree with Mark on this one.A ball valve and a union closer to the pump will make servicing the dart and the Iwaki that much easier.Plus a ball valve closer to the pump means less water on the floor when you take the union apart.Just a thought.Youe setup is looking great!

AngeloM3,

Yeah, I'm wondering about that also.....but, if it cracks, it cracks. I wouldn't think it will disintegrate and cause an imbalance problem though. Will probably be filling it this week so we'll soon find out.

Vitor,

Interesting comment about the natural light.....the window faces straight north so the light would be indirect.....an interesting idea, thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9848370#post9848370 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rnelson
AngeloM3,

Yeah, I'm wondering about that also.....but, if it cracks, it cracks. I wouldn't think it will disintegrate and cause an imbalance problem though. Will probably be filling it this week so we'll soon find out.

I highly doubt that little pieces of tile will make it unstable! Its just the look of the room that will disintegrate :lol:

I'm just playing.... looking great! Cant wait for the updates!

AngeloM3,
I've already tried to prepare "she who must be obeyed" that there may be some tile damage.....she's cool with it, at least for now :)

NanoReefWanabe,
Thanks......stained the rest of the top tonight.....will be mounting lights tomorrow......

Finished the canopy....put egg crate in the open areas to keep the eel from crawling out.....put an Icecap fan on each end.....my LED moonlights had 4 burnouts so I wasn't able to use them......put an 18' blue rope light in the canopy instead.....if anybody wants some LED moonlights for free, they're available.....

I made up some PVC structures to put the LR on, but I didn't like the look.....too hard to cover up the PVC so I took them out and stacked rocks the old-fashioned way......I had 370 lbs of LR to use but I only used about 270.....gave the rest to a friend of mine. Put the sand in and started filling the tank on Sunday afternoon. I had made up about 280 gallons of RO/DI water and I had my LFS bring 110 gallons more, it was all they had left......it filled up to about 3" of the overflow teeth.....I filled the rest up this evening......making more water now for the sump and skimmer. Right now I have a couple of powerheads and a Fluval 204 to move the water around some......here are some pics of the canopy and the tank......the water is cloudy........

fishroom44.jpg

fishroom45.jpg

fishroom46.jpg

fishroom47.jpg

fishroom43.jpg

fishroom48.jpg

fishroom49.jpg

fishroom50.jpg

fishroom51.jpg

fishroom52.jpg

The tile didn't crack when I was filling the tank, amazingly enough....tomorrow I get the sump/returns going, and also put the canopy on and setup the closed loop.

Gettin fun!!!! More updates to come

Nice work, since it is a condo are you charging an association fee for the fish? Seriously though, are those bricks that you used for support filled with concrete on the inside? If so that is amazing they did not crack the tiles.

Hadn't thought about the association fee!!! Have to give that one some thought...

Those are concrete cinder blocks with rebar in them and then filled with concrete......I was wondering if I'd bust the tiles underneath them...didn't happen, at least yet.

I hate to sound negative, but to prevent a rockslide I was told NOT to pile the rocks on top of the sand. Eventually the pile will get undermined and the rocks will fall. Fish, shrimp, or just the water movement will cause shifting and then the fall.

Just what I heard...looking good, though.:thumbsup:

That is correct....

Here's the deal with the rocks.....I had put some PVC structures in the tank originally, then put "some" sand in the tank.....then I decided not to use the PVC structures and took them out. When I put the rocks in (actually when my wife put them in for me) she brushed aside the sand to put the rock in....if there IS any sand under the rock, it's 1/8"-1/2" maybe...

Last edited:
Moved the canopy on top.....got the returns working right after having major problems with a leaking left bulkhead.....I also had a couple of leaks in the return pipes, but all is fixed now. The closed loop is working also. I had to redo it because the intake air holes were too close to the surface and I was getting a vortex effect and getting air into the CL. The overflows were noisy but I stuck an airtube into the tops of the dursos and it took care of it.

3 of my 4 MH bulbs are working, one will need to be returned....I burned out my Icecap 660 ballast so I'm waiting on a new one.....

Here are some pics:

fishroom53.jpg

fishroom54.jpg

fishroom55.jpg

fishroom56.jpg

fishroom57.jpg

fishroom58.jpg

fishroom59.jpg

fishroom60.jpg

The skimmer is next, then the cabinets

nutto,
Thanks....though you can't see it from the front, there is a swimming path that goes all the way around the tank, so a bottom-swimmer can swim the entire perimeter.

Having a 4' front-to-back tank makes aquascaping fun ;)

Everything is working well so far.....started framing the doors and finished the left side.....got the left side webcam set up also....right side will be next and the skimmer, then the front cabinets.....here are a few pics:

fishroom61.jpg

fishroom62.jpg

fishroom63.jpg

fishroom64.jpg

Very nice.... Do not have room for such a tank, glad that someone does. So what is your stocking list going to be for fish? Big puffer I hope?

crsandoval,

Thanks.....I would love to keep a puffer but I can't.....this setup is for a shark/ray and a puffer is a big no-no for that.
Stocking list:
Naso Tang (added him last Wednesday)
Yellow Stingray (will be added later this week)
Yellow-Stripe Maroon Clown (will be added later this week)
Epaulette Shark (will probably be added last)
Blue Hippo Tang
Clown Tang
Sohal Tang

Back