The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

Cool chart!!

Bellus angel - completely safe with LPS, SPS, Clams, and Softies.
Scribbled angel - picked at everything but shrooms including LPS, SPS, and Softies
Emperor angel - picked at everything but shrooms including LPS, SPS, and Softies
Majestic angel - Safe with everything(SPS, LPS, Clams, Softies) but an occasional LPS(acans, plate)

Blueface Angel was ok as a juv. but when he turned to an adult he ate All coral. Not reef safe.

Emp. Angel I've had for 3.5 years was great until he turned into a beautiful colorful adult, he has eaten all the coral I have. I hate to part with him but he must go. Not reef safe.

Thank you... Very helpful. I feel very confident in adding a very small Regal to my 260 reef tank that will be SPS only after reading this thread.

Currently
Goldflake - full reef - SPS, GSPs, zo's, clam, torch, mushrooms - no bad behaviour - 8 months
Majestic - as above 1 year EXCEPT nipped a Cataphyllia I was baby sitting
Flame - reef as above, 3 1/2 years no bad behaviour bar sucking
Potters - reef as above 2 1/2 years - no bad behaviour bar sucking
Multicolor - reef as above - 2 1/2 years - no bad behaviour bar sucking

Previous owns
Bellus - reef as above - no bad behaviour - 6 months
Lamarks - reef as above - ate GSP! - 3 months sold - perceived 5 foot tank as a bit small
Several african flame back in reefs - all perfect
Pair Centropyge flavipectoralis - female fine, male ate some purple stars, ignored everything else in mixed reef.
C. heraldii - fine, didn't keep for long before selling.
juv. Koran - ok for 6 months, then started testing most everything I suspect except SPS

Currently have a Potter's in my 190 gallon tank full reef with clams, SPS, LPS, Zoas... only been in the tank for about 4 months, but will only nip at monti's, but only sporadically (and not enough to do any damage).

-Chad

I love this thread.
2potters safe with sps lps zoas gorgonians and anemone.
2 Flames nipped everything no real eating but enough nipping to annoy sps till they started to die.
2"juv. Indo regal. Never bothers anything

Last edited:
I have a Rusty Angel in a 29g soon to go into a 70g. I have sponge, mushrooms and toadstool and it hasn't tried to eat any of it. It does chase my wrase a little bit just to show it who's boss but it never actually harms any other fish or tank inhabitants. I had a Multicolor Angel who didn't bother any fish or anything at all, not even chasing other fish and it was great. But it died of something about 3 months after having it in my 29g reef tank.

Had a Fisher's Angel but it tired to attack other fish so I had to remove it. I would personally not recommend the Fisher's Angel in a small tank with smaller fish then it self as I have seen a couple others at my LFS harass other fish too.

ill post my experience.
Swallow tail -----safe with all corals.
Bandit ----- picks on SPS polyps, good amount of damage
lemonpeel ----- picks on SPS polyps, good amount of damage
flameback --- picks on SPS and LPS. not much damage though.

funny thing is, they all picked on my LPS at first, and then stopped !

now I have all sorts of meaty LPS in the same tank with them.

when I feed over 2 times a day, they dont pick on corals.

I have SPS, some LPS (elegance, torch, a few chalices), and nuclear green palys. All the angels nip occasionally at corals and I have very little polyp extension but I haven't seen them devour any single piece. My moorish idol did attack a red planet pretty aggressively at one point and knocked it back a lot (not sure if it was going for some adjacent algae). to be honest, my biggest problem is some of the larger fish knocking down frags which I don't find until they've been stung or died.

Currently:

juvenile imperator (transitioning)
3 regals
navarcus
M/F bellus
flame
golden

Back