The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

- Cherub angel
- Had for 7.5 years
- Reef safe, kept with LPS and soft corals, occasionally stole food from frogspawn, but did not injure the coral
- Ate flake food

Last edited:
Potters, Flame, Coral Beauty, Pygmy?Cherubfish, LemonPeel, Eibl with LPS and some SPS, Chalis, buttons and mushrooms. Never touched any of them. Have had all over 2 years, some of them 4 years.

Also had a Koran Angel that was 1" long when a got it. Had it for 4 years and it didn't touch anything.

Tank was well fed with red and green flake, pellets, mysis and cyclopese.

I have SPS, some LPS (elegance, torch, a few chalices), and nuclear green palys. All the angels nip occasionally at corals and I have very little polyp extension but I haven't seen them devour any single piece. My moorish idol did attack a red planet pretty aggressively at one point and knocked it back a lot (not sure if it was going for some adjacent algae). to be honest, my biggest problem is some of the larger fish knocking down frags which I don't find until they've been stung or died.

Currently:

juvenile imperator (transitioning)
3 regals
navarcus
M/F bellus
flame
golden

Can't edit but all fish in tank anywhere from 0.5-1.5 years. Tank fed with NLS pellets on autofeeder 4 x day as well as PE mysis, hikari mysis, 2-3 other types of frozen, 2 sheets of nori, as well as rotating types of flake. Fed about 3-4 cube equivalents per day as well as flake whenever i walk by the tank. probably fed 4-5 times a day apart from the nori and NLS pellets

In my last tank I had a redsea Regal and an Asfur. The latter bought to help with a Majano problem. Asfur ate all the Majanos, and together they ate all the Zoas. Never bothered clams, LPs or SPS though. Wonderful fish, but in my current tank I like the Zoas more than the angels.

Michael Stern, NY Aquatic.

Wow!! I just received the Goldflake Angelfish this morning. It is huge!! It measured 6 1/2 inches. She is so beautiful with numerous sparkling spots. She is definitely a show piece!!! Thank you so much for sending me such a beautiful fish. You are the best fish store in the US!! You offer unique and rare specimens at such a cheap price no other stores can beat!! It is also so much fun to check your update on your online catalog daily to see any new fish!!

My latest little angel is a real jewel. I love this guy.

027copy-1.jpg

025copy-2.jpg

Would you suggest waiting on introducing an angel until your corals are grown out a bit as opposed to frags? Or would it even matter?
It matters. IMO Larger colonies can take the abuse every now and then. My experience is that an angel will pick at a coral for a day and then leave it alone for a month or more. Plenty of time for it to recover, and in most cases does better.

I have a Potter's angel (6 months) it doesn't touch anything, but picks at algae on the rock and sides of the tank, doesn't go after the nori or mysid shrimp at all.

We have a Queen angel (1.5 years) It went after and killed a fist sized pineapple brain coral. It also eats polyps if they are easily at hand.

Our Goldflake angel (1 year) is the most persistent nipper in the tank, it has gone after a number of corals. But seems to leave leathers alone , also doesn't bother ricordea and some mushrooms.

Potters: sps picker resulting in poor PE but all corals are healthy and growing. Occasionally does damage down to skeleton but it is quickly grown over. Ignores everything else
Flame: occasional slime picker - completely random and spread out amongst sps, lps, softies and zoas
Annularis: will eat the skirts off of palys and certain zoas.
Swallowtail: picks at gorgonians but doesnt injure
Bellus: ignores everything

65g, sps and some lps. crocea clam. 1 flame, 1 argi, 1 watanabe and 1 potteri.
potteri wreacking havoc in lps (chalices) and clam. not only picking, but tearing apart... everybody else safe till now.
5amo.jpg

Back