The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

2 - potters- Reef safe in mixed reef (LPS/SPS/Clams/Softies)
1 - Coral Beauty - Nips at Montipora
1 - Flame - Nips at Acroporas

As I said a model citizen :spin3:
picture.php

YET... But she probably will, are you planning a new home for her? I love these fish, its a shame they get so big & both aggressive & destructive..

Matthew

all fish are truely "reef-safe" becuase they live in the ocean. some (probably many) nip at corals and such becuase they are hungry. if you keep them full they wont (or are less likely to) eat corals but once they start they wont stop becuase its free food that is there 24/7.

WOW this is an amazing thread! Thank you for all the info. I can share my expierence: Flame loved xenia, was safe with mushrooms and softies. Didnt have any other corals at the time, lost her in a move

1. Multibarred (M & 2 x F) w/LPS, SPS, Zoas & Clams; 2. Reef Safe; 3. nips SPS & certain brains, but no damage - 4 years

2. Golden Pygmy (2) w/LPS, SPS, Zoas & Clam; 2. Reef Safe; 3. Nips at brains, but no damage. Is however psychotic clam nipper - 3 months, then moved to FOWLR

3. Potters (1) w/LPS, SPS, Zoas & Clam; 2. Not Reef Safe; 3. Brain eater - 1 month, then moved to the FOWLR

4. Nox (1) w/LPS, SPS, Zoas & Clam; 2. Reef Safe; 3. Nothing - 6 months

Softy tank

Multibar & Potter both eating zoas, yellow polyps, stereonephthya, kenyatree, toadstall and gorgonian

Golden angel to early to tell only had him a week.

I don't see my Bi-color actually bugging anything, but since the mushrooms took over, I only have them & a Favia left.

Matthew

Coral Beauty and Flame Angel in with LPS & SPS & Softies and doesn't touch anything, a year and a half.

Softies and LPS

Flame angel

Not reef safe. Only had him for 1-2 weeks, sold him.

Picked at clams and acans. Really enjoyed picking at the clam, seemed like he picked on it every 2 mins. Did not bother ricordea or zoas/palys.

Last edited:
Majestic Angel, bought several months ago as a small adult. Reef includes SPS, one softie, palys, small acan and closed (favia) brain. The only thing the angel has eaten so far is half of a 3" chalice. Must have been hungry, I was away on business and the tank was underfed. When I first put it in the display it ate a couple palys but they are nasty and hasn't touched them since. It often seems to taste corals, particularly monti. capricornis, but leaves no mark.

Back