**The GHL Mitras LX7 LED**

Do you think one light would be enough for a 36" wide tank?

A single fixture will cover a 36" tank without a problem. I know because my tank is 36". :)

Ultimately, it depends on what kind of coral you have. If you have a mixed reef, 1 fixture will provide enough light. If you have an SPS dominant tank, 2 fixtures will provide the best coverage and power for SPS.

Any initial thoughts on shadowing? Is the spread of the pucks enough to not need T5 supplementation?

I plan on adding T5s to supplement my Kessil due to shadowing. I've been eyeing the LX7, but haven't seen much out there on this issue.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Any initial thoughts on shadowing? Is the spread of the pucks enough to not need T5 supplementation?

I plan on adding T5s to supplement my Kessil due to shadowing. I've been eyeing the LX7, but haven't seen much out there on this issue.

Thanks!

I think the LX7 is going to be a very good option for running LED with no supplementation. But your question doesn't really have a one size fits all answer. Too many variables exist like how many LX7's, the size of your tank, hanging height, your aquascaping, your corals, etc.

My tank unfortunately is too small and too young yet to give you an answer based on my own experience.
Slief and others with more established tanks may be able to chime in though.

I think the LX7 is going to be a very good option for running LED with no supplementation. But your question doesn't really have a one size fits all answer. Too many variables exist like how many LX7's, the size of your tank, hanging height, your aquascaping, your corals, etc.

My tank unfortunately is too small and too young yet to give you an answer based on my own experience.
Slief and others with more established tanks may be able to chime in though.

I agree with everything you said. Particularly: "Too many variables exist like how many LX7's, the size of your tank, hanging height, your aquascaping, your corals, etc."

I hear you, lots of variables to consider and several ways to reduce shadowing. Just looking at the spread of the pucks, logic tells me there would be less shadowing compared one to one against a Kessil or any other dual puck fixture.

I guess I'd like someone to travel forward in time and say, yep no additional supplementation needed with the mitras. 😀

I hear you, lots of variables to consider and several ways to reduce shadowing. Just looking at the spread of the pucks, logic tells me there would be less shadowing compared one to one against a Kessil or any other dual puck fixture.

I guess I'd like someone to travel forward in time and say, yep no additional supplementation needed with the mitras. 😀

There is definitely much better & more even spread from the 6 puck arrangement.

This is one of the reasons I am switching to Mitras. The placement of the clusters makes for a more even distribution of light from the LEDs compared to that of other fixtures.

I have a SPS frag tank in the works, size is 72" x 30". Will three LX7 have a full coverage over a tank that size? Also, should I place them parallel or perpendicular to the front panel? Thank you.

I don't have experience with the LX7 yet but have extensive experience with the 6200, same layout different technology.

The reason I was even ok venturing into the LED world was due to the fact the Mitras had multiple pucks spread across the whole fixture and the innovative reflector the GHL design uses. I use the 6200 on a 24x24 footprint and it gives me the ability to grow SPS almost anywhere, the light is 11" above the water and centered perfectly on the aquarium.

Spread is great and the color blending is perfect, no disco effect, enough shimmer to match halide and the sunrise sunset on these fixtures can't be beat. I'm not too into sunrise or sunset myself, I just want a light that can grow and color SPS, but when I have some friends over for drinks they are blown away at sunset on the reef. It's the smoothest blending I've ever seen,it's like watching the sun drop out of the sky.

I've been back and forth lately between trying a G4 Radion and the GHL LX7 but after crunching some numbers I'll most likely stick with GHL.

The LX7 has 72 total LEDs spread out through 6 pucks throughout the entire fixture. The G4 has 46 total LED in two clusters in the center of the fixture...after I realized this I came to the conclusion the G4 was no longer an option.

Some pics below of what I was achieving with the 6200-

Last edited:

Sorry, best I can do with pic

Any photo help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 3
Last one

Wish I could post larger than thumbnail

Pic uploaded in my Reefcentral gallery

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 3
I'm coming from 6 bulb ATI, and I'm starting out intensity maxing at 25%. Plan on going to 40 over the course of the next month.

Does that sound about right?

Back