The Life of Blue Spots Tank 1800L

The Life of Blue Spots Tank 1800L

• Total voters
No problem with anything except crabs, I have read that they will eat fish and everything but mines realy good, I do feed her a prawn once a week though.

More bad news on the blue spot tank. I've had velvet , and byropsis is back :( . The velvet for some reason affected all my angel fish mainly . so I have lost a few fish , nearly 50% . Very sad , some fish I have had since My old aquarium, the one I'm realy gutted about is my stary blenny and my blue spot. Also my long standing venustus angel , the only one that is still showing signs of velvet is the gold flake , and it was realy touch and go with the moorish idol . Luckily I think she's pulled through .
So now that my fish have gone and my byropsis is back I am definitely starting again. My lfs is going to keep my remaining fish for me (I'm just going to give it a few months for everything to settle) then I'm going to remove all rack and coral, treat with copper , get the fish out , get the water out . Sterilise the tank and go for it again !

So the deaths have all finished . I managed to keep all of my remaining fish . I've ordered some more byropsis treatment , so I am going to give that a try at a higher dose . If that doesn't do it , Then I am going to restart . ;0

Hi folks . Sorry I have not updated for a while but we have been concentrating on our dog maddy . I know this is a fish post but it's Sad news . Maddy started to have seizures a few months ago, we had her brain scanned but nothing conclusive showed, we managed her seizures for a while on medication and went away on holiday with her . Perfect 2 weeks , no seizures and the old Maddy was back, on her very last day she would not stop peeing took her to the vet as she was being treated for sistitus , turned out to be bladder cancer . We were all with her when we had to let her go . Absolutely devastating �� , she was such a huge character and part of our family

picture.php

Last edited:
Tank update. Byropsis second treatment done, and so far so good. Other developments new skimmer added , my skimz finally gave in, but up to now it has been pretty impressive , this time I have gone for a NYos quantum . Lighting , this is a big one. Finally figured out I had my lights to close to the water surface , moved them 10 inches higher than previous. Although this let out a little glare above the tank my coral is finally starting to see the benefit from it and without the competition from the byropsis , it's looking pretty good. Fish that were left are all doing good , though when I came back from holiday my tasseled file fish was gone . With everything else going on i didn't ask what had happened whilst I was away , but I did find its skeleton. So that will have to remain a mystery , nothing weird showed up on my apex so I figure it must have swam into the nem or possibly got stuck on the power head or somthing ??? I will try and get a picture update next time .

Please accept my sympathy regarding Maddy. I had to put my 11 year old Boxer down this past September. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

Cheers Vito, it is truly Terrible, I never cry , but on this occasion I cried for three days solid ,didn't eat for 7 and eventually ended up in hospital ...... I may have taken it a little to far :) but that being said I would not have been without her , sure you feel the same about your boxer.

Hi folks . Sorry I have not updated for a while but we have been concentrating on our dog maddy . I know this is a fish post but it's Sad news . Maddy started to have seizures a few months ago, we had her brain scanned but nothing conclusive showed, we managed her seizures for a while on medication and went away on holiday with her . Perfect 2 weeks , no seizures and the old Maddy was back, on her very last day she would not stop peeing took her to the vet as she was being treated for sistitus , turned out to be bladder cancer . We were all with her when we had to let her go . Absolutely devastating �� , she was such a huge character and part of our family

picture.php

I know how you feel mang. We just lost our beloved boxer "Puffer" after nearly 11 years. Put him to sleep 2 days ago, had a seizure, couldnt snap out/too far gone. Devastating is an understatement! It's been so empty around the house. Hang in there.

Please accept my sympathy regarding Maddy. I had to put my 11 year old Boxer down this past September. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

11 and a boxer, man this isn't getting easier. I'm cryin' ....at work.

I can't believe how much of a family member they become. It's depressing.

So sorry to hear about puffer xoomer. I tell you one thing we did , which I am glad we did now . We took a lot of Maddy`s things, her bed , collar , favourite toy etc and sent them off to a company online , they sew it all up and you get back a blanket, cushion whatever you want realy. Sort of like a memory item . It's now an item we treasure in the house. You may think that's a bit weird , but ide never heard of it before and sometimes you are not sure what to do with everything around the house . You don't want to throw everything away but by the same token it's difficult looking at everything everywhere . Just putting it out their if it helps anyone.

Can anyone help me with this question I have please ? Do squirrel fish eat other fish? Reason for asking I have lost a few of my smaller fish , no bodies , just gone . Looking in my tank the only fish of any size are a moorish , goldflake, 2 blue throats triggers , engineer goby and a white tail squirrel fish. Invert wise I have a pistol shrimp , a boxer shrimp and a very large sea anemone . I added 5 smaller fish 2 days ago 2 sand sifters, a spangled goby and 2 jewel blennies and this morning I have 2 jewel blennies left. They can't jump as the tank is covered. The only fish who showed any sign of aggression towards the new fish was the squirrel , hence the question .

First I'm sorry for the losses of your new fish. I'd say that the squirrel fish is likely the culprit. If memory serves the vast majority of squirrel fish are predatory and I'm guessing that if it can fit in its mouth it'll sample it. Did the squirrel fish look festively plump or very pleased with itself the day after the smaller fish went missing?

Cheers east , I am thinking the same thing , not sure about happy but he had wide eyes . Lol. The only other potential is the engineer goby who can be pretty vicious if you enter his spot. Now comes the next thing , how the hell am I going to catch this fish. It is very... very fast ! I've got a trap so we will see how that goes.
Apart from the above things in the tank are looking pretty good. Corals are doing particularly well which I'm realy pleased with as I have never had much luck keeping coral, yet alone growing ! The other thing is I have had no return of the byropsis yet. I am truly over the moon about this.

Yet another confession on my part. I do not have a killer squirrel fish ��. All my fish are now accounted for. I think they must have just been settling in and hiding a little . In my defence it is a large tank :)

Another update . I have just seen 2 little pieces of byropsis growing back . Not messed around with it. It's inside a barnacle so I have took it out . Gonna post so I have a record of when this stuff is returning after treatment , I think it's always around 3 months ? Everything else in the tank is doing well , I did have a low salt level for some reason last week , which has never happened before and at the same time magnesium dropped to realy low levels , put all this back to nominal but no idea why it went so far out of whack in the first place .

It's been a while since I have done an update . But for once everything has been uneventful ! I seem to have hit a fish tank sweet spot ! No problems , corals growing , fish healthy and breading. I don't know what to do with myself :) I will get some photos so you can see what's happening .

Back