The Life of Blue Spots Tank 1800L

The Life of Blue Spots Tank 1800L

• Total voters
Will do worm. I've got some pictures. Doesn't look like much but everything is very clean. This weekend I'm going to rescape. Think I'm just gonna try half the tank this week. On the byropsis front - still gone. Have to admit I was a little sceptical, but. Not a single sign of it . Very good treatment if anyone has byropsis. Fish wise everyone is good, no casualties , blue spot is realy settled in and eating well. My squirrel fish is turning out to be huge I think it's a tail spot squirrel . Has anyone kept one of these ? The other fish (that I love , but am getting worried about) is my lizard blenny , I figured blenny , what harm . After it started getting bigger , particularly its mouth , I thought I would do some more research. The other name for a lizard blenny is a sand perch ! I've still not found anything terrible about it , but I am wondering how big it might get.
Coral I ran down to just a few pieces I wanted to keep hold of . Some got smothered in byropsis , some went on e-bay , so after the scape I'm going to start reintroducing coral. Nems are looking super fine . They just get better by the day. So that's the tank this week , I'll get some pictures and stuff when I get the scape done.

The rescape is done and ...... I'm realy pleased with it. This time it's just worked out great, I managed to get some big pieces of shelf rock which I added on the bottom, then some flat bottomed ocean rock , then some purple real reef rock + some of what I already had in (the rest is in the sump). Sounds like a mess , but some how I think it works, got loads of space for coral, fish are swimming in and out , and with the large ledges on the bottom they are visible a lot more of the time. Got some pictures and a video. I'll get them uploaded.

Very glad to hear that!

Any updated pictures? Things must have returned to a better state since it is gone.

Just had to deal with the grossest thing yet in the tank. A bobbit worm ! This thing must have been 3 ft long . Earlier today I saw something retreat quickly into a hole next to the sand bed . I suspected a bobbit worm from the brief glimps I saw of it . So I got a torch and shone it in the hole , all I could see were segments like an earwig . I was now pretty positive . So I turned off all powerheads and return pumps, waited for calm and hoisted the rock out of the water and went to put the net under. Even though the rock was fully out of the water with the worm in it , its body was still on the sand bed (my tank is 3 foot deep so it had to be bigger than that). At this point panic set in , as I didn't want to touch it with my hand (not that brave) I quickly got the net under it and started to track it back up to the rock. These things are wriggly. It ended up unseremoniusly on the tank screen, until I eventually got it back into the net. I don't normal kill anything in the tank , it normally goes in the sump . But on this occasion it had to go , even though it was just hanging out being the best damn bobbit worm it could be. Sorry I killed it, but glad it's out the tank.

How do you know it was a bobbit worm and not just an innocuous bristleworm? (hint: get a close-up image of its head and mouth parts)

Dave.M

100% bobbit . It was the glimps of its mouth that tipped me off. I didn't film getting it (didn't know it was going to be that exciting). But I've got one of it wriggling in the net. I'll post it

It's those wide apart jaws that tell the tale. Bobbit worms are fish eaters. It's the fact that your fish were not disappearing on a regular basis that suggests to me it was just a bristleworm.

F000043f04-04-9780123971906.jpg

Dave.M

Here is a video of one of my birstle worms:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3aN7Qa26dTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's those wide apart jaws that tell the tale. Bobbit worms are fish eaters. It's the fact that your fish were not disappearing on a regular basis that suggests to me it was just a bristleworm.

F000043f04-04-9780123971906.jpg

Dave.M
My friend and I pulled an 8 footer out of his 700 gallon. It wasn't eating his fish, just pleased as punch to munch on the endless supply of waving hand anthelia that was in the tank.

This is where you really need to do a minute examination of the mouth parts to see what you're dealing with. Only about 5% of bristleworms are coral eaters.

The bearded fireworm, Hermodice carunculata, is another famous coral eater. It used to be that every time a coral enthusiast pulled a bristleworm out of their tank it just "had" to be H. carunculata. The fact is that these show up very rarely in aquariums. The bobbit worm is even less often seen.

Bristleworms have been pulled out of tanks that were in the tens of feet long. No-one ever realized they were there because most of them are happy to be part of your clean-up crew, hoovering up detrituts, lost food and dead carcases.

Do some research. Google is your friend.

Dave.M

Those are just bristleworms in the video. You can tell by the commentary they have no clue. Chances are they were benign.

Dave.M

I respectfully disagree. The 5 tentacles near the mouth, to me, are a dead give away that its a eunicid worm and even if it wasn't bothering the fish, assuming there are many different eunicid worms and that not all of them eat fish, it was probably sustaining quietly on your soft corals.

I think it was eating my clean up crew ? I found a load of shells round it's burrow (I though a fish was placing them their) . Either way , whatever it was I'm glad it's out the tank, I think I've learnt enough now about diseases and critters , if my fish get piles I think I've had everything . Lol

Just to give a byropsis update , I'm now 1 month from treatment, no return in the main display , but I have seen a small return in the sump where the halogen lighting is. I am still happy with the results from the treatment though , if it should come back I would give it another dose .

Another byropsis update . It back in my display tank &#55357;&#56875;&#55357;&#56875;&#55357;&#56875;. Going to give treatment another go .

Back