The Life Reef Skimmer Club

At 45% or 45w with an ambient room temp of about 78F the pump has driven my tank temp up to 82F. I have just lowered it to 40% and will step it down as needed, but my problem will be the minimum flow required to run this skimmer.

You can see from the log around Sept. 13th when the ambient room temp was 71F to where it is now at 78F. Prior to Sept. 12 I was using the Aquamaxx again.

I suppose this is just my personal battle with wattage used in the sump and ambient room temp. While the pump itself runs warm, even at 45% much less 65% or 100% everyone will have their own temp threshold to deal with.

vectra2.jpg

At 45% or 45w with an ambient room temp of about 78F the pump has driven my tank temp up to 82F. I have just lowered it to 40% and will step it down as needed, but my problem will be the minimum flow required to run this skimmer.

You can see from the log around Sept. 13th when the ambient room temp was 71F to where it is now at 78F. Prior to Sept. 12 I was using the Aquamaxx again.

I suppose this is just my personal battle with wattage used in the sump and ambient room temp. While the pump itself runs warm, even at 45% much less 65% or 100% everyone will have their own temp threshold to deal with.

vectra2.jpg

How are you tracking sump temp? Just apex temp meter out of water ? Or is that water temp in simp ?

Thanks

Water temp in the sump via Apex.
I would love to track air temp in sump too. Ventilation I bet would make huge difference. I know on mine with doors shut temp goes up fans kick on about 5 min every hour. If I crack door a few inches fans never turn on. I have the suspension its air temp in stand.

Nathan

I would love to track air temp in sump too. Ventilation I bet would make huge difference. I know on mine with doors shut temp goes up fans kick on about 5 min every hour. If I crack door a few inches fans never turn on. I have the suspension its air temp in stand.

Nathan

I have a temp controlled fan in the sump area. I ended up turning the fan on all the time. I also leave the doors open a bit for flow. It helps a little.

If anyone's interested im selling my two blue pumps I got from Jeff (70hd and 30hdx). Both great and fairly new but against Jeffs advice I really want the Vectras

Really looking forward to having the tank plumbed in and running to see my VS3-72 skimmer in action! It will be fed by a Sequence 12000 pump and working on a 800 UK Gallon (3600 litres) mixed reef tank.

Any tricks on quieting the venturi? I just bought a new svs2-24 and set it up a couple days ago. I really like the skimmer but the air sucking is way louder than i'm used to with my RO and aquamaxx. I talked with Jeff and showed him pictures and everything is setup right. He said the skimmer will be louder than the rest but I figure there should be a tweak. I'm sitting three rooms away, cabinet doors are closed, and I can still here the sound of air sucking. Any ideas?

Any tricks on quieting the venturi? I just bought a new svs2-24 and set it up a couple days ago. I really like the skimmer but the air sucking is way louder than i'm used to with my RO and aquamaxx. I talked with Jeff and showed him pictures and everything is setup right. He said the skimmer will be louder than the rest but I figure there should be a tweak. I'm sitting three rooms away, cabinet doors are closed, and I can still here the sound of air sucking. Any ideas?
In the same boat coming from RO and Aquamaxx. I turned down my dc pump for heat purposes but it's helped with the noise as well. Would like to hear what others experience as noise from the venture and how they quieted it.

I can't be of much help other than to say that the sound from the venturi on my skimmer is not that loud. I think it was a bit louder when I first started it up - maybe for the first couple of weeks.

I haven't put my doors on the cabinet, but the skimmer is in a 40g breeder under the tank. I'm running two Fluval SP's, one for the skimmer and the other as a return pump. The entire system is pretty quiet. It's hard to describe "loudness" but I don't believe that I would be able to hear the venturi, with doors on, three rooms away.

What pump? How long have you been using it? Any modifications to the tube running from the venturi to the cup?

Running the stock mag9.5. Unit has been running for about 3 months. No mods to the tubing. I am going to upgrade pump to a Deepwater BLDC 7. Not liking the temperature increase I'm getting from the mag.

In the same boat coming from RO and Aquamaxx. I turned down my dc pump for heat purposes but it's helped with the noise as well. Would like to hear what others experience as noise from the venture and how they quieted it.

28" with SP4 pump. Quiet but can still hear it. Though very tolerable.

Have you got the air intake connected to the collection cup? As this will quieten it down considerably.

28" with SP4 pump. Quiet but can still hear it. Though very tolerable.

Have you got the air intake connected to the collection cup? As this will quieten it down considerably.
yup sure do. If you find a previous post of mine in this thread you'll find a link to a video made with sound from both the Aquamaxx and Lifereef.

Hi John,
I watched/listened to your video and I'm experiencing the exact same noise. I couldn't even hear my Aquamax C0-1 or C0-2. I would have to open my doors to check to see if they were still working. I admit, I'm a little sensitive to equipment noise. I've created my system to be as close to silent as possible. I don't like having light or noise pollution.

I know the reasoning for the air to be pulled from the cup but I wonder how a muffler like the aquamaxx would impact the sound/performance on the lifereef? I'm even tempted to run the airline outside the house.

Like this one:

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...otein_Skimmers-AquaMaxx-UJ1331-FIPSAC-vi.html

Last edited:
Back