The Life Reef Skimmer Club

SO! I have been researching and while I did that, I fell in love in the thought of owning a lifereef skimmer. But there is a problem. It is going to cost me 1050 dollars to buy the product + some small upgrades, shipping to Denmark and taxes and fees, and that is without a pump. If you had to be totally honest, if you were in my position, would you buy it? is it worth that much?

I really hope you can help me because I can't seem to make up my mind... :uhoh3:

Is that $1050 US for the SVS24? If so it's not worth it at all. If it was a 48" Yes. 36" with mazzei maybe.

Then I would go with the lifereef with the flanged neck so it could be extended to be taller as needed later and call it a day. Sure cheaper to spend 5-700 now vs. 1K but if you know you will have to rebuy later then why bother?

Is that $1050 US for the SVS24? If so it's not worth it at all. If it was a 48" Yes. 36" with mazzei maybe.

That is why I asked for comps. But if one is looking at 750 for a non expandable skimmer then 1050 is not a stretch for a flanged skimmer he can upgrade in near future for minimal cost.

Though these posts make me glad I live where I do and dont have to pay out the behind for taxes and duties on items.

That is why I asked for comps. But if one is looking at 750 for a non expandable skimmer then 1050 is not a stretch for a flanged skimmer he can upgrade in near future for minimal cost.

Though these posts make me glad I live where I do and dont have to pay out the behind for taxes and duties on items.

Yeah, that is the great thing about these is that you can extend them with a longer tube.

I am looking for a pump for the svs3-24 skimmer. It is going to be used on an 80 gallon display with a 25 gallon sump. Have been looking at the fluval sp2 3770 l/h and the sp4 7200 l/h. What do you think?

I have a DCT 8000 on mine and dialed back to roughly 50-60%.

I do have a SP2 on my water change station and a SP6 as my main return pump and really like the pumps. They are a bit bulky so make sure you look at their size but they are VERY quiet and work as advertised.

I know it is a personal question I just hink it will help me to make op my mind.

I can get a bk mini 160 for 750 dollars and a rlss r61 for 572 dollars.

The things is that I know that I am going to upgrade my tank in 2 - 3 years when I have finished my education and can call myself an psychologist and then the lifereef would be a great skimmer as I only had to upgrade the pump and not the skimmer.

I dont mind spending some cash on a good quality skimmer as long as it is efficient and reliable, if you know what I mean
I actually own both. I have a svs-24 and a bk mini 160. Both are great skimmers. But for you I'd say the bk with the price you'll pay is closer to face value of the skimmer. Either or would be a good choice. It sucks when you have to pay high shipping cost.
I know it is a personal question I just hink it will help me to make op my mind.

The things is that I know that I am going to upgrade my tank in 2 - 3 years when I have finished my education and can call myself an psychologist and then the lifereef would be a great skimmer as I only had to upgrade the pump and not the skimmer.

I dont mind spending some cash on a good quality skimmer as long as it is efficient and reliable, if you know what I mean

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have a DCT 8000 on mine and dialed back to roughly 50-60%.

I do have a SP2 on my water change station and a SP6 as my main return pump and really like the pumps. They are a bit bulky so make sure you look at their size but they are VERY quiet and work as advertised.

I also use a DCT-8000 on my 30" lifereef, but I have it maxed out, the more water you push through the more air it'll draw, which equals more crap being pulled out.

I get that but currently in a sump not well designed and was having micro bubble issues galore. New sump came in yesterday and should be installed shortly fixing that issue and allowing me to once again max out

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

you can't break the venturi when using such a strong pump? I appolagize if it is a stupid question ;-)
You wont break the venturi but at some point you'll get diminishing returns and eventually start creating larger bubbles due to cavitation and kill the skimming.

now that I have finally installed my ATO, I absolutely love my LifeReef skimmer, no more tinkering as the water levels change in the sump, got it dialed in just right I think, maybe going from the mag 9.5 to the mag12 or similar in GPH rating, man is it ever pulling out some gunk, but I am also slowly adding more livestock to tank.

PULLING the AIR LINE that runs to the venturi from the cup!!
I would like to try to increase the PH in my water by adding fresh air to the skimmer.
I will set up a dosing pump to add RO/DI water into the venturi air tube.
I know a couple of ya out there have done this.
I would like to know what dosing rate did you use per hour?
Did it make a noticeable difference in your PH?

PULLING the AIR LINE that runs to the venturi from the cup!!
I would like to try to increase the PH in my water by adding fresh air to the skimmer.
I will set up a dosing pump to add RO/DI water into the venturi air tube.
I know a couple of ya out there have done this.
I would like to know what dosing rate did you use per hour?
Did it make a noticeable difference in your PH?

Pulling outside air will indeed help equalize the Ph, which usually results in raising like you want.

I'm not sure I would add ro/di water to the venturi, that might mess with foam formation.

Pulling outside air will indeed help equalize the Ph, which usually results in raising like you want.

I'm not sure I would add ro/di water to the venturi, that might mess with foam formation.

I was thinking I would dose 5ml of RO/DI per hour. That would take approx. 5 min. per hour. Not sure if that would effect the performance of the skimmer?????

I would go with the RLSS. I actually have both the R6i and the Lifereef and they do not compare. I plan on selling my lifereef. I have trief different pumps and different depths and the lifereef in my tank is inconsistent. The RLSS pulls some nasty dark skim. Go RLSS and you wont regret it. It is the best skimmer I have ever owned.

Back