The Life Reef Skimmer Club

I'm about to turn my SVS-24 with Mazzei upgrade off. I can't get this thing to skim right at all. I've had it running for about 3 months now. All it does is just bubble..
I've even removed the check valve in the venture to allow more air draw. I am currently running a syncra silent 3.0 on it with 1 inch piping.

Who knows... It might be my bio-load as I am running it on a reefer-250. I've got several small SPS frags and 3 fish. 1x Clown + 1x flameback angle + a flasher wrasse.. all about 3 inches long.

Honestly I'm tired of messing with it. I adjust column up a bit and just seems to spit clear water into collection cup /// adjust the column down and it never produces skim. Just collects around the neck.

I don't know.. guess I'm asking for advice on this.

I'm thinking that the Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0 is way to undersized of a pump for the skimmer. Jeff recommends at minimum a Mag 9.5 for the SVS-24 and most people are running it with at least a Mag 12, many are using at least a 6000 liter per gallon DC pump. In addition, a few frags and 3 fish is a very light bioload for this skimmer to be skimming consistently. Maybe you could add more fish and feed more... your corals will love you for it.

I'm thinking that the Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0 is way to undersized of a pump for the skimmer. Jeff recommends at minimum a Mag 9.5 for the SVS-24 and most people are running it with at least a Mag 12, many are using at least a 6000 liter per gallon DC pump. In addition, a few frags and 3 fish is a very light bioload for this skimmer to be skimming consistently. Maybe you could add more fish and feed more... your corals will love you for it.

Agreed, 714gph with a max head pressure of 9.9 feet. Your pump is inadequate!

humm.. Well it seems to make decent bubbles in the chamber though they never really equate to anything material in the skimmer cup....I've got a MAG18 laying around I could try throwing on there.. If thats not enough, it's got to be the bio-load.

I believe I read way back in this thread that Jeff from Lifereef is running a Mag 18 on his SVS-24. But I think you'll eventually find consistent skimmate by increasing your bioload as what you have now is super light. Good luck n keep us posted!

I will. It will take a good bit of re-plumbing to integrate the mag pump here for a 'test' but I certainly want to see if this is the culprit. If it is the bioload, heck I might cut it off. Not sure I'd need it too much with such little load for it work on.

Red velvet wrasse
Pencil wrasse
Leopard wrasse
Pair of picassos
Chromis (4)
Chalk bass
Yellow watchman and his buddy

QT

Kole tang
Red solar wrasse

Guys, please don't base your bioload off the skimmer, base your skimmer off your bioload.

Many people say add more fish, feed more, why pollute the tank more just to get your skimmer to pull it out. I understand that more food helps things grow, but I also feel that just trying to get a piece of equipment to work constantly because it's supposed to is not the way to do something.

guys, please don't base your bioload off the skimmer, base your skimmer off your bioload.

Many people say add more fish, feed more, why pollute the tank more just to get your skimmer to pull it out. I understand that more food helps things grow, but i also feel that just trying to get a piece of equipment to work constantly because it's supposed to is not the way to do something.

+1....

What pump are you guys recommending on a 60 inch skimmer ? Would the Panworld 100PX be good ?

Last edited:
Just thought I'd show off my new lifereef system for my SCA 50. It's been up and running for about a month and I couldn't be happier, the fit and finish of his products are second to none. During the build process Jeff was exceedingly helpful and he convinced me to run no doors on the stand allowing me to fit a larger sump (21"x21"), which I am very glad he did. My media reactors should be shipping this week which will complete my build. For reference I'm running a mag 12 on the skimmer (Flanged 24" model) and a Jebao 8000 for the return.
8c4af1f94236e6b87be805057a5815ab.jpg
e91050c4f76fef52228046d8ef0e0b56.jpg
d2caeecebc96e0376de6ec1c3a70ba00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I need to do some more research on these Skimmers. The website doesnt lean toward being anything special but all of you reviews are excellent.

Buying a new skimmer is an absolute minefield of styles, makes and opinions!

Think I need to do some more research on these Skimmers. The website doesnt lean toward being anything special but all of you reviews are excellent.

Basically it comes down to bomb proof vs latest and greatest. If you want a deltec or the newest cone skimmer that is whisper quiet, creates more bubbles and will probably produce a slightly better skim then go that route. The reason I went lifereef is I love the idea that if something breaks I can fix it myself and I can use any pump. I chose a Mag 12 because of space constraints but if I had room I totally would have run a jebao 8000. Finally the biggest draw was longevity. I have personally seen some units that have been in use continuously since the early 90's. Nothing in this hobby has that kind of longevity but his skimmers do :)

Finally the biggest draw was longevity. I have personally seen some units that have been in use continuously since the early 90's. Nothing in this hobby has that kind of longevity but his skimmers do :)

HAHA! I totally agree - And the funny thing was, when I ordered I was a little hesitant for shipping because I afraid of it breaking! Once I opened the box I was DANG,,, this thing could've been shipped with out the box!

Because marketing.
The only thing that has "improved" in skimming technology over the past 20 years is smaller footprints and efficiency. And many times this comes at a cost.
Everything else is just a ploy to sell more skimmers than the next guy.
Jeff's skimmers just work, without the downsides of more "modern" skimmers.

As a side note has anyone t'd off to a co2 scrubber. The new house I moved into is basically vacuum sealed and I'm finding I can't keep pH up much above 7.7.

Orcus, very nice setup, I'm jealous. Is it by design or is the clear tubing under the center pipe next to the skimmer severely kinked?

Orcus, very nice setup, I'm jealous. Is it by design or is the clear tubing under the center pipe next to the skimmer severely kinked?

It's a tiny bit kinked but it's silicon tubing and not reducing the flow so I'm not concerned enough to fix it lol

Back