The Life Reef Skimmer Club

I had no issues with air draw with the Mag 9.5. I just threw a DCT 8000 on my svs24 (great deal from my LFS and I got it that night vs. next day from Amazon)

Looks like more air draw with the DCT though honestly didnt make much difference to me since there is the gate valve to tune for whatever pump you are using.

I had no issues with air draw with the Mag 9.5. I just threw a DCT 8000 on my svs24 (great deal from my LFS and I got it that night vs. next day from Amazon)

Looks like more air draw with the DCT though honestly didnt make much difference to me since there is the gate valve to tune for whatever pump you are using.

Just wondered what it is compared to modern skimmers.

I have more air bouncing around in the chamber then my aquamaxx hob1 (not really fair comp) ever had and I dont have to clean the bubble plate so both are wins in my book.

Just wondered what it is compared to modern skimmers.

Its very low compare to most skimmer. But comparing very different designs. Modern skimmers are designed for the more air.

I have used Bk's, ATB's RO's, MRC's, ETSS and the list goes on. For my setup, the lifereef has produced the best results of all. The air draw can be from 14scfh to 22scfh depending on the pump you use. I use the pressure rated pumps on mine with a Mazzei 1078 injector, 30" Panworld 30PX, 36", 48" and 60" Panworld 40PX. Tried a Panworld 150PS on my 48 but was too much pump (too much air draw for the body, 45-50 scfh). The only skimmer that came close to producing the dark skim as the lifereef was the BK Mini 200. But as with the others, more maintance and tweaking than my lifereef. Jeff has just informed me my new lifereef is ready and will be shipped next week. 8" body, 30" high not counting the collection cup and some designs I had him incorporate into the skimmer. Should be interesting to see what it will do. You don't need huge amounts of air if you have a tall body and good contact time with a small neck. Wider necks short bodys, cones need huge amounts of air draw to compensate for the lack of height.

The way I see it

High air draw, low water flow, low contact time with the modern wine glasses double triple cone coned bubble plate etc skimmer

Vs. High water flow, lower air draw, high contact time with the tall basic pvc and acrylic tube skimmer

Joined the lifereef skimmer club today with a shiny new 24in model with a mag 9.5!

Just got it all put together and cant express how impressed I was with every detail!

Seriously, everything. Oversized box, stuffed full of packing material. Inside I found a big envelope packed full of documentation (parts list, assembly, how the skimmer works, both the life reef itself and the concepts behind protein skimmers, etc), a box labeled "9.5" (containing the mag 9.5, venturi, barbed fittings, the gate valve, etc), the skimmer cup (stuffed with more hoses, hose clamps, pipe tape, collection cup drain stuff, etc), and finally the skimmer body. Everything was so well packed and wrapped it was like he knew UPS was going to use it as a football, lol.

Acrylic welds were beautiful. I was like a kid in a candy store putting it together :) Even got out of work early to get rolling on swapping out the ole' Classic Reef Octopus 160. The LR is currently in the sump bubbling away, quiet as can be. I expected it to be louder than a needle wheel skimmer but boy was I wrong. In my sump environment I cant hear it, not at all. No giant sucking sound like the Reef Octo.

So far I am very impressed and cant wait to see what it starts pulling out of the tank!

Placed my order for the VS3 60'' with a larger cup.

Question is... Should I use the Mag 24 or the BL 100HD?
My understanding is that the skimmer will perform better with a high pressure pump. But the Mag 24 is rated for more GPH. I was also concerned about the added heat of the Mag 24 if ran insump.
Thoughts and input from those using the VS# 60'' please.

Placed my order for the VS3 60'' with a larger cup.

Question is... Should I use the Mag 24 or the BL 100HD?
My understanding is that the skimmer will perform better with a high pressure pump. But the Mag 24 is rated for more GPH. I was also concerned about the added heat of the Mag 24 if ran insump.
Thoughts and input from those using the VS# 60'' please.

I have a somewhat similar comparison, a Mag 18 vs a BL 70. I used the Mag as a return when setting up my 150 with basement sump before installing the BL 70. They don't even compare with the head. The Mag was a steady stream where the BL 70 is two jets that blast the sand from wherever I point the returns.

I just bought a used LifeReef Sump and skimmer without the pumps and missing some tubing. I am not able to find any build or flow diagram and/or manuals specifying the tubing sizes. does anyone has it in softcopy or scan? would be a great help. thks!

I just bought a used LifeReef Sump and skimmer without the pumps and missing some tubing. I am not able to find any build or flow diagram and/or manuals specifying the tubing sizes. does anyone has it in softcopy or scan? would be a great help. thks!
You could actually email jeff at lifereef and send pictures. He usually will get back to you within 24 hrs. He has great customer service. Even if you bought 2nd hand. Bought mine over 2yrs ago. And he's always willing to answer questions.

You could actually email jeff at lifereef and send pictures. He usually will get back to you within 24 hrs. He has great customer service.

I will second that, I haven't even purchased mine yet because of all the questions he and I have had. He is very very prompt on replying and answers every question honestly. I'm impressed already and don't even own one!

Which model would you guys recommend I look into for a 90 display 36 gal sump? In-sump preferred. Smaller footprint the better

The Life Reef Skimmer Club

Tallest I can fit is the base model which appears 22.5" from bottom to cup top. Any taller than that and I don't know I'll be able to fit it under the stand or remove the cup with ease ect. Is he able to modify footprints? I'm working with about a 8"X11" footprint at absolute max. If I'm going to be hunting in the $400-500 range a lifereef is definitely at the top of the list, but it will be a struggle to fit one based on their standard specs

Back