The Life Reef Skimmer Club

I had my venturi apart just last week, and something about yours doesn't look quite right to me. In mine there is a hex key hole to allow part of the venturi's internals to be removed for cleaning. The bubbles in your skimmer neck look pretty large to me too. I wonder if a piece is missing?

Might be worth sending those two pics to Jeff to get his input.

I agree, I do not think that piece belongs and although it's been years since I had mine apart, it does have a hex key hole to break it apart.

IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0570.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone use a CO2 scrubber with the skimmer?

How well does it work in increasing PH?
How long does the soda lime last?
Does if affect the skimmer performance?

Thanks

The Life Reef Skimmer Club

My skimmer acts exactly the same. It either leaves a ton of crap in the neck that doesn't make it high enough for the cup, or I get a fairly yellow liquid.

I get a lot of sludge in the neck of mine with not a lot of liquid in the cup. This may gross everybody out, but I swipe it out with my fingers, mix it in fresh water and pour the concoction in the houseplant next to my tank! I haven't killed the plant yet, so it must be working well!!

3d42adc1ae61f592f249df594726e081.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I ordered the small Davey Jones locker from AVAST. Not sure how I will fit it in the stand yet, but I'll figure something out. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

I don't believe you are supposed to run a collection cub. The air intake is through the skimmer cup which effectively shuts the skimmer down when it is full.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Slowly gathering pieces for a new tank upgrade so I'm joining the club! My new to me SVS2-24 arrives on Wednesday. Now to decide what tank to get for my new toy... :D

Slowly gathering pieces for a new tank upgrade so I'm joining the club! My new to me SVS2-24 arrives on Wednesday. Now to decide what tank to get for my new toy... :D

Congrats! I have never regretted a lifereef skimmer. I have one on my current 240. I'd run one on any tank I'd ever buy. Enjoy!

It defeats the purpose of the self cleaning venturi. It's self cleaning as it pulls moist humid air from the collection cup through the venturi so that salt can't build up and clog it. I have read about others in this thread installing a tee fitting to draw outside or feed from the cup to a CO2 scrubber then back to the venturi. Not sure how it's worked out for them.

A bunch of us in the Houston area including D2mini are keeping the airline attached to the collection cup. I know some of us including myself tried running to an outside air source to increase the PH but didn't see a huge difference. Plus you then need to run rodi water into the venturi to keep it clean.

There's a big difference with a CO2 scrubber connected to the lifereef for me. 8.3-8.5 PH instead of 7.8-8.1 at 8.5-9 dKH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back