The Life Reef Skimmer Club

I searched this thread but didn't find an answer ...

Does anyone have any pictures of a VS3-48 plumbed in to their system? I have picked one of these up and want to run it inside the sump. Am building my sump out of a 180G tank, and need to know how to size the skimmer section of the sump. Would be great to see some pics of installs, if anyone has them handy ...

Just makes me wonder if I'm not getting skim because I don't have enough pump on it. I see tons of bubbles and what not, maybe since I have such a light bio-load if only skims randomly, then does nothing until the bio-load increase enough to make skim.. who knows..[/I used to have problems with mine not skimming until I increased the load.

Thanks.. What I thought. I feel it is producing great bubbles and will produce great skim after feeding, but for the most part it just bubbles..

Can someone recommend a good air flow meter, thanks.

Dywer air flow meter. For these you'll want to get one that can measure betwen 10 to 30 scfh. But a wider range will be ok and beneficial if you ever want to measure other devices.

I've had this one for years and have used this to measure flow rates between 8 and 60 scfh so I was very happy that I got a wide range up to 100 scfhh.

abd810ab0cdc3156ef333121a67b47ed.jpg

Jason - is there a measurement tool you don't have!?
If there is let me know so I can get it. Ha!

My curiosity gets the best of me.

One of my LFSs is an authorized neptune dealer and has their new flow monitor ordered for me. Getting a 2" for my return pump and 1" for the skimmer pump.

What size is the air injection tubing for the regular white injector? Was thinking about using a co2 scrubber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. Any shots of the skimmate yet?

Sorry. There was a skimmate shot in my original post, but heres a 4 day worth of skimmate. I may have to put it on a timer soon. It's strippimg my tanks! :headwally:

20170228_162213.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way. I wanted thank D2mini and the rest of you who kepted this thread active. Never in a million years would I have thought to try this type of design again.

Is there supposed to be a little piece in my venturi like this pic? I got a used lifereef skimmer but am having trouble tuning it in. It's either very dry or very wet. I'm running a marineland return pump rated at 1300 gph. I disassembled it & cleaned very well but still can't seem to dial it in. Looking for that dark skim. Heavily stocked 75 gal tank & i feed heavy as well. Thanks for any help!
f93380c98e3c47b17afd6ced84ce38e7.jpg
b399681332eaaf1a8cb2a7f248c15e7d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have not opened up my venturi to answer your question, but maybe someone else will chime in. Since I'm seeing good form inside your skimmer body, I would guess that it's working fine.

How long have you been running the skimmer for? It took 3 days for it to start foaming the way I wanted, and tuning it happened after it. Some of the users on here have reported that it took more than a week.

It's been running for about two months. It skims but it's very dry & just cakes the insides of the tube your foam comes up or very wet / yellow clear. I try to just bump it a little at a time but can't seem to get it how i like. Considering switching to the upgraded venturi if i can't get it how i like. I emailed Jeff today as well while researching to see if he had any input on it as well.

It's been running for about two months. It skims but it's very dry & just cakes the insides of the tube your foam comes up or very wet / yellow clear. I try to just bump it a little at a time but can't seem to get it how i like. Considering switching to the upgraded venturi if i can't get it how i like. I emailed Jeff today as well while researching to see if he had any input on it as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using

Tapatalk

My skimmer acts exactly the same. It either leaves a ton of crap in the neck that doesn't make it high enough for the cup, or I get a fairly yellow liquid.

Is there supposed to be a little piece in my venturi like this pic? I got a used lifereef skimmer but am having trouble tuning it in. It's either very dry or very wet. I'm running a marineland return pump rated at 1300 gph. I disassembled it & cleaned very well but still can't seem to dial it in. Looking for that dark skim. Heavily stocked 75 gal tank & i feed heavy as well. Thanks for any help!
f93380c98e3c47b17afd6ced84ce38e7.jpg
b399681332eaaf1a8cb2a7f248c15e7d.jpg

I had my venturi apart just last week, and something about yours doesn't look quite right to me. In mine there is a hex key hole to allow part of the venturi's internals to be removed for cleaning. The bubbles in your skimmer neck look pretty large to me too. I wonder if a piece is missing?

Might be worth sending those two pics to Jeff to get his input.

My skimmer acts exactly the same. It either leaves a ton of crap in the neck that doesn't make it high enough for the cup, or I get a fairly yellow liquid.

I had exactly the same problem on my 24" LifeReef skimmer - a neck full of gunk with very little in the cup other than a yellow liquid. Based on a suggestion here from Jason2459 , I upgraded the pump from a Mag 9.5 to Sicce Syncra 5 (about 50% flow increase). Since then, I have gotten much better skimmate with relatively less gunk in the neck. I was planning to transfer this skimmer to my new 150g and got a waveline DC10000II to run it, but decided later to use the Waveline to run a manifold driving all of my reactors, chiller, etc and stuck with the Syncra.

I had the same in my 30 inch skimmer (neck in cup with little bit in cup) and found that adding more bioload cured it. I should have probably gone with the 24 on my size tank.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Don't chase the foam! Give it time. Slow adjustments. You can easily adjust the skimmate if you do it very gradually and keep the foam just above the lifereef logo.

Back