The Life Reef Skimmer Club

hooked up a co2 scrubber to lifereef skimmer

I had to break down and hook up a co2 scrubber to my skimmer. I noticed the minute I turned it on it was working. I did forget to cover the hole in the top of the skimmer lid before I did it and realized it this morning. I was getting great results until I looked at it this morning. Plus my media is over 6 months old. I thought I had it properly sealed but I realized I might not of had it sealed completely. could the old media be the factor for the fact I'm not getting the results any more?

Your media is most definitely exhausted already. It doesn't last very long but recirculating air through it will almost double the time frame. I run a duo Jumbo scrubber from BRS and get 2-3 weeks out of the media before it is exhausted. This is when recirculating. When I am not it last a little over a week before PH noticeably falls again.

Your media is most definitely exhausted already. It doesn't last very long but recirculating air through it will almost double the time frame. I run a duo Jumbo scrubber from BRS and get 2-3 weeks out of the media before it is exhausted. This is when recirculating. When I am not it last a little over a week before PH noticeably falls again.

I reached out to jeff. he advised me to try not adding water to the co2 scrubber and new media. saw no results for hours. so tried to add just a little bit of water. it seems to be working now. it is moving off of 7.94 ppm for ph almost at 8.0 ppm. I don't expect 8.2 or 8.3 for ph. I just prefer to be in a little bit more comfortable area like 8.0 to 8.1 ppm for ph. it gives me a little more room if it drops a little for some reason. I will be running a 1/2 in air line to the outside. hope that will be big enough. might go with a 1 inch diameter airline and see if I get good results or not.
I think I had to much water in the scrubber to begin with and saw no results at all. it just kept it stable at 7.94 for 12 hours and then up to 7.95. new media and just a hair of water at the bottom and seeing some results. almost to 8.0 ppm for ph.

I think with the extra 6" on the SVS-30 you'll be fine running at 13". With the SVS-24 the maximum water depth is about 10".
I do have room to raise it a bit on a stand. I could probably squeeze in a 36" skimmer if I wanted to.

What do you think the optimal water height is to run a 30"?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ok, I ordered the 30" skimmer today. Now need to decide on the pump. Sicce adv 7.0, 9.0 or 10.0?

I am not very familiar with Sicce, but from a flow stand point my LR skimmer is 28" (24" with 4" extension) and I run a Vectra M2 at 90%. Technically this would equate to 1800 GPH.

I also upgraded the venturi to a Mazzei for more air input.

I'm using a jeboa dcp 8000. Mine came with a mag 7 and the DCP works better for me I run it at 100% I drained it yesterday and cleaned the cup and neck about a week ago. I had to remove the air hose from the skimmer cup because it was sucking in sludge.
17aae5f08393c4244b012cdcc1c0714e.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Where is the extension pricing on the site? Looking for it but I do not see any pricing listed for the neck extensions...

Ordered my skimmer last week. She's done. Need to order the sicce pump. Waiting for a 4th of July sale. Can't wait!
630552c49e70af9e109f0a1275b01771.jpg

Is your skimmer a 30"?

I'm using a jeboa dcp 8000. Mine came with a mag 7 and the DCP works better for me I run it at 100% I drained it yesterday and cleaned the cup and neck about a week ago. I had to remove the air hose from the skimmer cup because it was sucking in sludge.
17aae5f08393c4244b012cdcc1c0714e.jpg

She arrived today. Waiting on the pump, hopefully Wednesday I'll get this thing wet! I need to paint the gate valve handle orange though. Driving me crazy[emoji12]
c4b54316c588c59e369f694eab6fe7f2.jpg
7b0fdf3492581c45d0f9f295198d3cc9.jpg

Also when you first sent it up set the bubble line about an inch below the sticker and wait a few days to raise it. I recommend turning the gate valve 1/8 a turn at a time per day until you are happy. Good luck and you will love this skimmer!

Also when you first sent it up set the bubble line about an inch below the sticker and wait a few days to raise it. I recommend turning the gate valve 1/8 a turn at a time per day until you are happy. Good luck and you will love this skimmer!

Gotcha!

Back