The Life Reef Skimmer Club

I recently took my LifeReef skimmer apart for a good cleaning. My screw was rusted badly, I couldn't get the screw out with a screwdriver.

I took my Dremel tool out and cut what was left of the screw head. The valve handle came right off, you really don't need the screw to secure the valve handle. But I'm sure you can find a stainless steel screw at the hardware store for 25 cents, no need to buy a new valve.

I'm just going with out the screw.

Hope this helps, I'll atach a few photos I took when I cleaned it up. I also used citric acid to clean it, citric acid worked better for me than vinegar.

Take all..

Interesting idea I clearly didnt think of. Will give that a shot. Worse that can happen is I somehow mess it up and still need a new valve. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Was able to unscrew the old screw with pliers. Came out in 5 seconds, so there wasnt need to cut it down with dremmel. Thanks again, saved me some time and $

Last edited:
Hey, no problem brother. That's what this place is all about.:dance:

Good luck, when I cut the screw head off there was some burning of the plastic handle. I took another bit and cleaned up the top of the handle. Not perfect but its clean.

I tried the plier method too, my screw was too far gone to grab it.

Last edited:
It's just threaded cap that serves as an access port for cleaning should you ever get debris sucked up from the pump through the venturi and clog it, though I've never had a need to use it.

Thx. So I've got this same skimmer and I keep having trouble getting the skimmate dialed in. I want it to run a little dryer, but no matter what it wont. Was watching the video on BRS the other day about adjusting the air in the skimmer to get wet vs dry skimmate.

How can we adjust the air in these? I was hoping that was what that knob/dial was for.

Maybe you have the skimmer sitting too deep in the sump? If I remember somewhere it should be sitting in 9 inches of water.

No air adjustment that I know of, you could put a small valve on the air intake tube. I've never heard of that, but I'm far from an expert.

Good advice above about the water level that the skimmer sits in. Also, when I want drier skim, I just turn the gate valve knob slightly counter clockwise to drop the water/bubble line in the skimmer body. There is no air adjustment with these skimmers.

Snip--->
Hope this helps, I'll attach a few photos I took when I cleaned it up. I also used citric acid to clean it, citric acid worked better for me than vinegar.

Take all..

If you please, what was the ratio of citric acid to water you uses, thanks.

I've seen 1 cup citric acid to 1 gallon of water. But i just put in what i think will do the job. I don't think you can overdo it.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Bulk Reef Supply Citric Acid brand instructions are 3/4 cup to 1 gallon of water. That seemed plenty strong, if you have a small cut on your hands you'll feel the burn. But no more sting than vinegar.

Bulk Reef Supply Citric Acid brand instructions are 3/4 cup to 1 gallon of water. That seemed plenty strong, if you have a small cut on your hands you'll feel the burn. But no more sting than vinegar.

They say you can cause a burn on skin if too potent.
1-1 was OK for me.

Thanks for the info. I purchased 10lbs off Amazon. Need to clean my skimmer and the COR20 driving it. I'll try the 3/4 cup/gal, if that works great, if not I'll bump it it to 1 cup/gal.

Don't know about cuts, but if you put your hand in the water I never felt anything. I think it is pretty safe to use IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, I prefer citric acid over vinegar for cleaning. No issues with skin burns, I've had my hands in the solution for quite some time with no ill effects.

Guess we're getting off topic here, but usefull information none the less.

Take care all :)

Last edited:
berlin sump system

berlin sump system

I got the lifereef berlin refugium. I noticed that since I have had it. the where I have the water going from the tank to the sump that the pvc is always coming off. has anyone else had this problem? I though about removing it completely and just let the water flow directly in with out a pvc. or adding a oring around the pvc and see if that will keep it in place and not fall out.

Are you referring the PVC pipe that is cemented in the sump that is falling off?

That would be surprising but it could be easily reattached.

Hello All,

I'm looking at a SVS3-30 IN-SUMP for my 260g fish heavy setup.
Thinking Sicce Syncra ADV 9.0 for the pump
Skimmer will be sitting in 13" of water

I'm sick of dealing with my SRO XP-5000
Any thoughts on this setup? Would you do something different?

TIA

Thats plenty of skimmer and plenty of flow with the Sicce 9.

My only question would be is 13" of water too high. I don't think it will be but might want to ask Jeff just to be sure.

Thats plenty of skimmer and plenty of flow with the Sicce 9.

My only question would be is 13" of water too high. I don't think it will be but might want to ask Jeff just to be sure.
On his site, it states any depth, up to 16".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I think with the extra 6” on the SVS-30 you’ll be fine running at 13”. With the SVS-24 the maximum water depth is about 10”.

Back