The Life Reef Skimmer Club

Got the pump. Need to wait until Sunday to get it in the sump. On duty the next three days. Don't want any issues while I'm away
58b5581dccc4a6ad50e3338baca42595.jpg
2342d8b32c6b0602b7f7879e9003c671.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hello,
So I am looking to get a new skimmer. I have seem people talk about Lifereef over the years and after reading the pro's/con's on venturi vs needle wheel, I was very excited in my decision to go with a Lifereef skimmer. Then I can to to this thread and have read all of the discussion about pumps and now I am rethinking my decision.

I have a 90gal DT with a 40gal sump. Is this more skimmer than I need? I use a COR20 to run my whole system, including ATS, Ca/RX, and UV, and this skimmer requires an equal to that just in itself? I was already really having to close my eyes and click to purchase this at $450, but then having to put another 200-300 for the pump just to get its full functionality seems a bit over the top.

They run just fine on a smaller much cheaper ac pump. Even the manufacturer recommends an AC pump over a DC pump anyways. I got a 50 dollar Gen-X PCX40 used that works great. Ugly but quiet. And will run forever. Easily the best skimmer I've had over the last 25 years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

They run just fine on a smaller much cheaper ac pump. Even the manufacturer recommends an AC pump over a DC pump anyways. I got a 50 dollar Gen-X PCX40 used that works great. Ugly but quiet. And will run forever. Easily the best skimmer I've had over the last 25 years.

Thank you for the quick response. I had that assumption, but worried when everyone in the more recent post on this thread seem to immediately remove the mag 9 and default to a Sicce adv 10 or equivalent. I also worried that I was perhaps looking at a 250 gal skimmer for a 90gal tank.

You can run it on a timer 12 on 12 off. Or every other day

People might switch to a more power friendly pump or one that puts let heat into the tank

I do have a Jebao DCP-5000 that I had purchased prior to my COR20 and have kept on hand as an emergency backup in case the COR crashes. It has the following stats:
Power: 40-watt 110-120V 60Hz, Max Flow: 1450gph, Max head: 13ft
which, from what have ready here seem like it would be good for this. Just seems like a huge pump for a skimmer. Does the venturi really require that much more pump over a needle-wheel?

Hello,
So I am looking to get a new skimmer. I have seem people talk about Lifereef over the years and after reading the pro's/con's on venturi vs needle wheel, I was very excited in my decision to go with a Lifereef skimmer. Then I can to to this thread and have read all of the discussion about pumps and now I am rethinking my decision.

I have a 90gal DT with a 40gal sump. Is this more skimmer than I need? I use a COR20 to run my whole system, including ATS, Ca/RX, and UV, and this skimmer requires an equal to that just in itself? I was already really having to close my eyes and click to purchase this at $450, but then having to put another 200-300 for the pump just to get its full functionality seems a bit over the top.

I dont think you can be too big with a LifeReef skimmer. They are easily adjustable based on where you run the water height in the skimmer. I used a 24" LR skimmer on the 33G AIO tank below and it worked out beautifully as the only filtration on the tank outside of a prefilter. I ran it with a Mag 9.5.

Attachments

• FTS 12.12.14.jpg
    FTS 12.12.14.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
I dont think you can be too big with a LifeReef skimmer. They are easily adjustable based on where you run the water height in the skimmer. I used a 24" LR skimmer on the 33G AIO tank below and it worked out beautifully as the only filtration on the tank outside of a prefilter. I ran it with a Mag 9.5.
See now this is what confuses me. How is a skimmer than works fine on a 33G going to do a good job on my 150 fully stocked SPS tank with a ton of fish?

See now this is what confuses me. How is a skimmer than works fine on a 33G going to do a good job on my 150 fully stocked SPS tank with a ton of fish?
You adjust the water height based on your tank and how it is working

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It's all about the size of the pump which determines how much air is getting injected into the skimmer. Also, the type of Venturi in this case.

The pump I was using was overkill and only half the size of the pump I use now in the 160G. I also use the mazzei for even more air.

I guess the tank speaks for itself.

Here's for my Vectra x Lifereef owners. How do you feel that this combination does? I spoke with Jeff and told him this is what I wanted to go with. He recommended a MAG since it's set it and forget it. Let me know your thoughts and which size you went with. I want to go with a L1 since you can control the flow speed. I am going to have a 187Gal Tank

Here's for my Vectra x Lifereef owners. How do you feel that this combination does? I spoke with Jeff and told him this is what I wanted to go with. He recommended a MAG since it's set it and forget it. Let me know your thoughts and which size you went with. I want to go with a L1 since you can control the flow speed. I am going to have a 187Gal Tank

Apples/Oranges but I’m using a Apex COR20 running 100%. I had 2 left over when I switched return pumps so I used one. Works great. This is on a 120g

I use the Vectra M2 on mine running at 90% for my 160G. I only run it lower as I personally see it as a benefit for pump lifespan to not run full. The L1 sounds like overkill as Jeff will tell you the 72" LifeReef runs just fine with 2000 GPH flow.

LifeReef 24" plsu 4" extensions with Mazzei venturi. The venturi runs closed loop through a jumbo CO2 scrubber.

Instagram: MasiniReef

Quick question...

Anyone running a CO2 scrubber with their skimmer? If so, what brand of media and how did you plumb it? Any noticed performance drop in the skimming department?

Thanks!

I think I posted about this earlier in the thread but I run my LR skimmer with a BRS jumbo scrubber on a closed loop. I haven't seen much change in skimmer performance, my focus was driving up PH and also keeping it more consistent.

The closed loop extends the media lifespan by at least two weeks in my case which is a lot of $$$ saved over the year.

I think I posted about this earlier in the thread but I run my LR skimmer with a BRS jumbo scrubber on a closed loop. I haven't seen much change in skimmer performance, my focus was driving up PH and also keeping it more consistent.

The closed loop extends the media lifespan by at least two weeks in my case which is a lot of $$$ saved over the year.
Ok cool. Can you post some pics of your setup? I'm contemplating doing it for the same reasons

does anyone run there airline outside with the lifereef skimmer? if so can I see pictures and how far of a run to the outside? i figured mine would be 7 feet to the top of the ceiling in the basement and then another 3 feet to the outside. and would a airpump be recommended for that distance. I see most people with 20 to 30 feet run with an air pump to get the results. but with the short distance I figured I wouldn't have to get an air pump . plus not really space for an air pump unless if I run 40 feet to a different wall.

Back