The most AMAZING buy today...a 1.5" Conspicillatus Angel!!!

wow Jason, thats prety ignorant to say ure way would have saved the fish and .... I really dont know where u are coming from with these comments.

but let me correct you on some points.

wayne said above he has never dealth with Ich ... it seems like u just want to find something against him ?

2. DRAIN = the hole in tank that ALL water pass by ... if properly UVed ... then what ? 99.9% of parasites in that tank will be killed and wont make it around the system.

wow Jason, thats prety ignorant to say ure way would have saved the fish and .... I really dont know where u are coming from with these comments.

but let me correct you on some points.

wayne said above he has never dealth with Ich ... it seems like u just want to find something against him ?

2. DRAIN = the hole in tank that ALL water pass by ... if properly UVed ... then what ? 99.9% of parasites in that tank will be killed and wont make it around the system.

Huh????????????????? QT is a proven method. I didn't create the method, I just follow it. "Ignorant" would be not knowing the benefits of QT'ing new fish. How do you know he has never dealt with ich or parasites before??? He never QTs his fish. So every fish he has ever obtained has gone into the display with no parasites? You are arguing for the sake of arguing. I strongly recommended QT and said that it could have possibly prevented the fish death. I don't know Wayne and have ZERO personal vendetta against him. I feel bad that they guy lost a magnificent and rare fish. I didn't "find anything against him", however the thread speaks for itself. If the mods think my post is out of line they can close the thread or delete my posts.

Huh????????????????? QT is a proven method. I didn't create the method, I just follow it. How do you know he has never dealt with ich or parasites before??? He never QTs his fish.

Id like to Take Waynes word for it, unlike you who thinks everyone on here is lower than you and is lying ...

So every fish he has ever obtained has gone into the display with no parasites? You are arguing for the sake of arguing. I strongly recommended QT and said that it could have possibly prevented the fish death. I don't know Wayne and have ZERO personal vendetta against him. I feel bad that they guy lost a magnificent and rare fish. I didn't "find anything against him", however the thread speaks for itself. If the mods think my post is out of line they can close the thread or delete my posts.

why are you trying to get threads closed ? lol we are having a friendly conversation ... what you are doing here is making ppl NOT want to post cause of ppl like you, where as others here want to be open and share success and failure on here freely, without someone like YOU trolling them and judging ...

you recommend QT, we got it, you made it clear. now thank you for not pushing your OPINION onto others, and NOT judging others ... you can leave the rest of us "none reefers" alone please ...
this is really saddening when one comes and shares their experience with us and u just push them away ... Jazz man same story lol

come on ... you just dont say "if u did what I say u wouldnt have killed the fish " thats just super ignorant my friend ...

Dude--I have been here a long time, I can assure you I am no troll. I have to ask why you specifically are being overly sensitive to this topic and the way I have presented it? Is it because it touched a nerve with you? I have not attacked anyone or judged anyone. I merely responded to Wayne's follow up to my comments. The fact of the matter is that anyone can say anything on a message board, and you obviously only look to take it as gospel, and that is your perogative. I get that you are not a QT guy. But please don't call me ignorant because I pushed the QT agenda. In fact it would be ignorant to come on here and argue against QT. if you want to continue your personal issue with me, I invite you to use PM or put me on IGNORE.

Im sensitive on this. Cause I want ppl to be able to come on here, and freely share pictures and success and failure, without being judged and lectured. or called a lier till proven otherwise ! like Jazzman ! there are sooo many nice fish and stories out there that could be shared with us all :)

but this way, when someone buys a REALLY nice fish, they would NOT post it on here, cause they would be afraid to loose it and then being judged u know ?

I dont have anything personal against u, and enjoy ure picture alot :) bandits are my fav fish as well. QT for me depends. I have a small 30 G attached to my main system, and when I get a small fish, I do a 100% sterilization of that tank after draining it, then I fill up with new water [my water change basically] and turn on the UV on drain. get the fish eating and fatten up and then when all good move it to the DT. if the fish shows any sign of disease, it gets moved to hospital and seperate QT, the 30G gets steelized again and ....

if the fish is larger or already eating or fat ... I just start with the QT, prazipro, then watch for 3 weeks and ....

I have lost fish to jumping, power outage and ... but never to a disease wiping out my tank :)

Bottom line so much is not known in our hobby.Sharing of experience is how we learn. Let's keep ego out of the equation. Overall, I found this thread to be very informative.

I agree with Wayne on this one. No QT for a delicate fish. The hardest part is getting them to eat and a sterile QT is not an environment in which these fish come from. They need rock for grazing, hiding, picking. What ever makes them more comfortable and less stressed which is an environment similar to where they came from.

I did this with my Achilles and it worked like a charm. I did this with my Borbonius Anthias who came in with a little swim bladder issue. If I put him in QT it would have never survived. I put him right in the display got him eating flakes, pellets, mysis etc and the swim bladder issue corrected itself.

I'm not poo pooing QT. I've tried it with a Gem tang, Interruptus Angels, Conspicuous Angel and Blueline Angel and all those turned out in death. It works for some but it's not my way of doing things anymore.

I say if it works for you than stick with it. Education is a good thing but saying someones practices over anothers is better way is just incorrect.

Good information in this thread though.

Nick

You really are playing russian roulette without keeping new arrivals away from your main display; while having a new fish put in your established tank is better than a make shift thrown together bare QT, such a serious investment requires serious consideration. Any aquatic veterinarian will tell you the same. Hind sight is always 20/20, so no attack on the decision(s) made;

In my own humble opinion as I stated in my previous post, delicate fish do not do as well in QT. Besides my opinion, there is my experience, and I have owned several delicate fish.

I'm really sorry for your loss. I know you did what you felt was right. Regarding quarantine, I use chloroquine and prazi to treat the two common issues with new fish, crypto and flukes. The great thing about these meds is that they still allow you to create an invert rich quarantine system. The big exception is that CP kills algae. But pods and other microfauna seem fine. And an algae clip with nori fills the algae grazing gap.

I recently had some crypto tomonts hitchhike into my reef on large snail shells(I think). I had to hospitalize all my fish. Everyone, including small gobies and a mandarin that feed mostly on my reef critters came out great. I recently quarantined a gold flake the same way. If copper or formalin was needed, then I also have a mature qtank with a sponge and some PVC.

I agree though that extra small angels require lots of grazing opportunities early on. And for that reason the refugium was probably the best gamble. But it came with risks as well. I avoid tiny angels for this reason. The ones around 3 inches tend to allow you more time to wean them onto prepared food. Again, sorry for the loss. I was pulling for the little guy.

QT does not have to be a sterile environment. It can be full of live rocks and pods. It's basically a small tank separate from your main tank so not to risk bringing in disease.

QT does not have to be a sterile environment. It can be full of live rocks and pods. It's basically a small tank separate from your main tank so not to risk bringing in disease.
I agree .
The perfect acclimation tank is a reef with no Fish ... After it start eating and fatten up, you need to medicate or treat the fish either cupramine, hyposalinity and tank transfer.

On my delicate fish like Achilles, few juvenile regal's, multibars and naso.I put them on a separate reef with more ick resistant fish like mandarin, sand dwelling Wrasses this method save me all this fish if I qt them directly they will certainly died in few days because they don't eat.

First of all, I QT all my fish, inverts, algae, corals everything that goes into my display. But a month ago, I had a chance to acquire a juv. Regal and even I have a mature QT tank (running for the past 3 years ) i choose to not put her in there. Not immediately at least, having the same reasoning Wayne has. I ended up putting her in my other nano system so she could start eating. However it also means that every fish in that system will have to be QT'ed again and tank left fallow for 9 weeks. Not everyone has such an option.

From my past experience, some fish will stop eating once medication is added and sometimes it'll start eating again, sometimes they don't. I almost never medicate the fish until they are eating very solid or they start showing signs. If the fish appeared to be healthy, I'll do my rounds of meds before putting them into my DT last.

In Wayne's case, I believe he had given his fish the best chance of survival. Even if this fish was in QT, the priority will most likely getting this fish to eat as it has shown no symptoms. If it was under my care, I would have been running around looking for food options as well.

I would also like to point out that a matured QT would mean that it will be a running system with the same filters or rocks or algae whatsoever and I cannot say it will be 100% free of bacteria or parasites. I surely don't promote anyone not to QT and people who choose not to QT have their own reasons and I think we should at least respect that. Somehow we all know smoking is bad for you and speeding might kill you but I can't seem to tell myself and others to stop doing it.

Thats the best way to do it, then if you need to treat, you can move to a sterile tank and easily catch the fish or invert without risk to your main display

Back