The Reef is Dying - Almost Everywhere

That is the hard part. Not so much the knowing what to do, but coming up solutions that both work and people find to be something they are willing to live with.
...and that we can keep within the "no political discussions" policy.

I've got to agree with Greenbean about careless divers damaging reefs. I have a feeling a healthy percentage of divers are careful, but there are plenty who aren't. I've personally witnessed such carnage down in the Keys and a lesser extent in Coz. Not pretty, and sad.

Avoiding politics, we do know that isolated or off-limits reefs are doing much better. If we want healthier reefs, it appears that we're going to have to reduce our activity in and around them. Is there such a thing as sustainable diving?

I will say that sovereign nations likely have the right and authority to govern access to the reefs in their territorial waters. So, if the Mexicans, Dominicans or whoever want to let their reefs get dived out, that is their choice to make. Is anyone aware of any international treaties related to reefs?

I think everyone needs to keep perspective. Both sides of the arguement are right and wrong.

To say that we have no impact on our environment is silly. Our trees have an impact and it is quite measurable, and all they do is stand there and wave in the wind, clean our air and provide endless benifits by...well standing there waving in the wind.

To say that we have no impact and all the changes are natural is as silly as saying we can wipe out an entire reef in one visit.

All of our effects are cummulative. We can easily gauge this by dropping our pennies into a jar instead of the street. It does not take long to realize that people dropping their pennies on the street are wasting ALOT of money.

This entire conversation is no different than the global warming tid bit. Do we have an effect? Yes, of course. Do we have such a significant impact that the planet cannot adjust? No. Things will change, ebb and flow. In the end, if we try to make such a significant impact that the planet has to argue back...well the planet will win. Simple as that.

The desire to preserve needs to be as strong as the desire to understand and explore. The people diving these reefs are as inspired as we are when we host our 'little reefs' at home, they just do it in a different way.

just because you went to your LFS and bought a coral, does not mean that you didn't do just as much damage as that diver.

Back