The Scleractinia Shallows

That new piece looks pretty Dom, i'm glad to see the bubbles are much less visible these days :)

Can i ask why you're posting pics of Matt's acros on your journal ? Like i know you two are zoa buddies and all but still..........

IMG_3421.jpg

I like your new favorite and still love your firetruck acro. It's the tenius craze down there too?

That new piece looks pretty Dom, i'm glad to see the bubbles are much less visible these days :)

Can i ask why you're posting pics of Matt's acros on your journal ? Like i know you two are zoa buddies and all but still..........

IMG_3421.jpg
Yeah, it's such a nice feeling being nearly completely free of them!

haha that piece has been through the absolute wars and is still hanging on! It's definitely a trooper and it wouldn't be a thread if I didn't post some flubber pics for you to make fun of haha

I like your new favorite and still love your firetruck acro. It's the tenius craze down there too?
Firetruck will always have the most special spot in my heart! The tenius craze hasn't reached here as not a lot of varying tenuis come in. The yellow/green piece I have is the first I've seen that's not standard blue lol

Well the tank is starting to look alright so I don't feel completely horrible about taking pictures of it anymore! The Vibrant is still working it's way through the bubble algae and I can't complain!
I took two FTS's because I couldn't decide which I liked more lol

I also took some tank section shots as well for a bit of a closer look. Here's the left side:

The centre of the tank:

And of course the right-hand side:

I also went down and visited Dave on Monday for a catch up and buying some goodies in celebration of my full-time work and tax return haha. So I got two super awesome rocks of zoa's that are going to be real special!

And these ones but of course the cleaner decided he had to sit right in front of them while I was trying to get a pic lol:

A very nice piece that I think has some real potential and even if it doesn't I love the growth pattern!

What's an acro tank without some echi either!

Along with all of that my acans are loving life too:

I ALSO may have done another thing.... ooops

So I was happily browsing away at the Facebook groups when I got a notification about a post that was selling a GEO CR618... I think you can all guess where this is going! I now have a new calcium reactor as instead of buying a $200 CO2 bottle for the little one I have, I got the whole kit for double and a little of that so I HAD too haha I'm picking it up on the weekend so as of next week I'll actually have a CaRX running :D

Nice score on the carx!
And I WANT THOSE ACROS!
Then again I've almost never seen an acro I did t want but that red polyped plating acro looks nice.
Looks like hyacinthus but not sure.. any ideas?
It looks like a type of Aussie that comes into montreal often. Nice solid red.

Nice score on the carx!
And I WANT THOSE ACROS!
Then again I've almost never seen an acro I did t want but that red polyped plating acro looks nice.
Looks like hyacinthus but not sure.. any ideas?
It looks like a type of Aussie that comes into montreal often. Nice solid red.
Yeah, I jumped on it as it was too good to miss! All my tax is gone now though haha
Would you believe they are both pieces that have been sitting in the store for a few weeks? :lol: I wanted to get them last time but did other things instead so I snapped them up straight away haha. I actually didn't even realise it had red polyps till I took that picture... :headwally:
It does look like hyacinthus but I don't think it is, I get the feeling it's something else from the growth pattern and the whiteness of the underlying skin so maybe Andrew will know lol

I can't believe the tanks cost that much. Have you went directly to a gas distributor?
That's the price for a full, new 2.6kg CO2 bottle lol swaps might be a little less and we can't go to suppliers or distributors as they'll be wholesale/commercial only :(

That's what people think here and I just walked in and they did business with me. I have 3 large bottles. I got all of mine used. You might check with a restaurant that has fountain soda.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

That was a cool score getting the bigger calcium reactor with the bottle included Dom :)

I think this piece is hyacinthus as Matt suggested it may be, it grows in a much more delicate and splayed pattern when collected in calm waters usually deep down and if that's the case which i think it is make sure the flow goes the same way it's growing or it will go to hell on you trust me lol. I have a similar piece but much smaller i got a couple of months back and i nearly killed it the first few weeks until i worked out it wouldn't tolerate a change to the flow it was used to.
Even if you give it gentle head on surges it will thicken at the tips and grow more upward losing the twig like beauty it has now so it is worth taking the time to preserve one of the main things that caught your eye in the first place imo. Anyway, that's just my take on the piece that Dave should have held for me you sneaky bugger.......... nice score matey :beer:

acropink-export.jpg

That's what people think here and I just walked in and they did business with me. I have 3 large bottles. I got all of mine used. You might check with a restaurant that has fountain soda.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I'll probably give that a go but there's a brewing place nearby so I'll probs hit them up for a refill :)

That was a cool score getting the bigger calcium reactor with the bottle included Dom :)

I think this piece is hyacinthus as Matt suggested it may be, it grows in a much more delicate and splayed pattern when collected in calm waters usually deep down and if that's the case which i think it is make sure the flow goes the same way it's growing or it will go to hell on you trust me lol. I have a similar piece but much smaller i got a couple of months back and i nearly killed it the first few weeks until i worked out it wouldn't tolerate a change to the flow it was used to.
Even if you give it gentle head on surges it will thicken at the tips and grow more upward losing the twig like beauty it has now so it is worth taking the time to preserve one of the main things that caught your eye in the first place imo. Anyway, that's just my take on the piece that Dave should have held for me you sneaky bugger.......... nice score matey :beer:

acropink-export.jpg
Yeah, score of the century I think!

I would say you're right then :) I've got it in medium flow so hopefully it keeps it's groovy growth pattern! The flow goes with it as well so nothing stubby on the ends haha. I'm hoping to get it to continue on it's path of growth so that gives a sweet backdrop to the clam :)

wow Dom!! :bigeyes:
tank is really looking great! love it!!!!
can't wait to get mine started already !!
Cheers Mate
Thanks Flo :) I'm looking forward to what happens over the next twleve months!

Welp I had a great tank day today :) I got a water change done, just a smaller 20L basic one with nothing special or siphoning to it lol. Mainly because I had to put 5L into the new reactor to fill it up :) I've got it cranking out the good stuff now with Caribsea ARM media in it! Going to start with the pH set to 7 and slowly work it down from there without changing the effluent flow rate :) And just work on getting my level happy and I did a little cord management and mounted the controllers, here's my fancy control room!

And the reactor, a Geo's Reef CR618!

And of course the beautiful FTS w. haze from the media dust haha

you really have to stop taking pics after shaking your stones....... :p

Wicked deal on the reactor, get those hose fittings off and get some John Guest on there to really make it the part.

Looking forward to seeing your tank take off growth wise now, cal reactor will make a noticeable difference I think :)

Back