The Scleractinia Shallows

So in my constant need to want to get things running a little smoother and tidier (and hopefully get some better results) I'm looking at a 36" ReefBrite halide hybrid setup with two Radiums and the two actinic XHO strips! No more t5 changes and a much nicer looking setup lol dunno though haha

Dom -- I'm not the biggest fan of the RB XHO. IMHO, it really needs UV/Violet to make more colors pop, and make them pop more dramatically.

I don't know how much you want to be a guinea pig.. But Orphek has a new LED Bar that is WAY Cheaper than an XHO, and a WIDE variety of spectrums to choose from.

The ReefBrite XHO vs Orphek cost 48"
- RB $360
- Orphek is $160

Wattage for 48"
- RB 144w
- Orphek 108w

Spectrum Selection; ReefBrite
- Actinic (450nm)
- White
- 50/50

Spectrum Selection; Orphek LED bar
- Reef Daylight – Full Spectrum Daylight 18,000K (380nm- 700nm)
OR120-90-60-Reef-Day-Light-led-layout-and-spectrum.jpg

- Blue sky – Blue /Cyan Spectrum (450-500 nm) (ReefBrite Spectrum)
OR120-90-60-Blue-sky-led-layout-and-spectrum.jpg

- UV/Violet – UV/Violet (380- 440nm) (Ultimate full spectrum POP)
OR120-90-60-UV-Violet-led-layout-and-spectrum-1060x1060.jpg

And here's UV/Violet with SkyBlue

And these two you won't need
- Freshwater Planted – Full Spectrum Daylight 7000K (380nm- 750nm ) for fresh water & planted aquariums.
- Refugium & Grow Light – Full Spectrum Grow Light is the most complex spectrum for macro algae or other flourish plants.

Just some food for thought Dom. Hopefully those pictures aren't giant... If they are, I will upload them and edit the post!

Last edited:
Rake, nice post. Do, you have friends. Tell Dave, this Thursday night, in your exclusive, "Thursday Nite at DPA", about these lights.
I am sure he would rather carry these.

Marty

Alrighty, so change of plans again (reefbrite were stupidly expensive to ship) I need some reassurance/guidance/confirmation of some thoughts and plans I have for lighting upgrades.
My tank is 39x24x18" and is completely sps dominated and will continue to be so. The current lighting setup I run is a bit of a mess that I want to tidy and sort out, this is what's currently running:
- 1x 250w Radium MH
- 4x 24w T5's (2 of each Giesemann actinic plus and lagoon blue)
- 1x 36" sBar Actinic led strip

Now, there's nothing actually wrong with my current setup and it grows and colours acro's very nicely but I want to simplify and get some more led action going as the light unit heats up the apartment pretty well! (I also LOVE blue light haha)

My thoughts at the moment are to do delete the whole lot and run with one of the following options:
- 2x XR30 G4 Pro's + 1x 250w Radium
- 2x XR30 G4 Pro's
- 3x XR30 G4 Pro's (this option definitely would be the end game result)

My real issue is my love for the Radium MH, I'm really uncertain about letting this beauty go and moving to purely LED (I've run led only in the past so it's not an anti-LED sentiment). I guess what I'm saying is I need some reassurance on the decision to dump it all for Radions lol

Post copied from elsewhere and I couldn't be bothered editing haha that's why it reads a little odd

Plans may have changed for the thousandth time :headwally: haha

Enter the fourth and now more likely option haha
- 250w Radium
- 2x 36" sBar actinic strips
- 2x or 4x 39w T5's haha

(and maybe a much nicer hood haha)

Every major coral retailer has switched to Radion for a reason. The G4 is the LED that is on par with T5 (no pun intended).

These shops can afford to run anything -- Especially with Solar Power. They choose Radion for a reason ;)

Will be getting a second sBar actinic strip to tide me over till I can go a little bit further :) The Radiums are definitely staying as I swapped the bulb over on Saturday :)

Still got lots of filling in to do in the tank but slowly slowly getting there :) I have bought an acro colony in months :(

Very nice? Have you heard about Andrews problems? Hope all your SPS are safe! Thanks for the update. I do believe you could have done better. But your post is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Marty

Will be getting a second sBar actinic strip to tide me over till I can go a little bit further :) The Radiums are definitely staying as I swapped the bulb over on Saturday :)

Still got lots of filling in to do in the tank but slowly slowly getting there :) I have bought an acro colony in months :(

Alrighty, so change of plans again (reefbrite were stupidly expensive to ship) I need some reassurance/guidance/confirmation of some thoughts and plans I have for lighting upgrades.
My tank is 39x24x18" and is completely sps dominated and will continue to be so. The current lighting setup I run is a bit of a mess that I want to tidy and sort out, this is what's currently running:
- 1x 250w Radium MH
- 4x 24w T5's (2 of each Giesemann actinic plus and lagoon blue)
- 1x 36" sBar Actinic led strip

Now, there's nothing actually wrong with my current setup and it grows and colours acro's very nicely but I want to simplify and get some more led action going as the light unit heats up the apartment pretty well! (I also LOVE blue light haha)

My thoughts at the moment are to do delete the whole lot and run with one of the following options:
- 2x XR30 G4 Pro's + 1x 250w Radium
- 2x XR30 G4 Pro's
- 3x XR30 G4 Pro's (this option definitely would be the end game result)

My real issue is my love for the Radium MH, I'm really uncertain about letting this beauty go and moving to purely LED (I've run led only in the past so it's not an anti-LED sentiment). I guess what I'm saying is I need some reassurance on the decision to dump it all for Radions lol

There are only two options. Giesmann Spectra or ATI hybrid. Stop flogging around mate hahaha

More pictures!
Camera battery is charging! ;) Going to do a clean and tidy tonight after work :)

Very nice? Have you heard about Andrews problems? Hope all your SPS are safe! Thanks for the update. I do believe you could have done better. But your post is better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Marty
Yeah, we're all safe here but he's doing well as well. Completely redoing the scape and dipping all the acro's but he's doing good :)
There's more coming!

There are only two options. Giesmann Spectra or ATI hybrid. Stop flogging around mate hahaha
hahaha as long as I have a Radium and some blue leds I'm happy!

Few pics from last night :) Pretty happy with how things are progressing but still waaayyyy too empty haha

Catching up. The tank filled with nets was a serious LOL moment for me.

I agree with no Reef Brights, I see they are too expensive anyway. Goofy looking light, I have a small 24" all blue fixture which is unusable IMO.

More pics!

Back