The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grim,
I am getting the nova extreme pro 6 bulbs. You mentioned that sps should be kept high.... did i make the wrong choice? I have a 90 gal mixed reef. what should i have gone with?

I went to replace my bulbs and the store didnt have a very good selection, So I got two of the uv indigo sun lamps.
I couldnt find any info on these bulbs, are they any good?
I have an 8 lamp current pro the bulbs are
ati blue+
uv indigo sun
ati blue+
uv actinic white
ati blue+
ati aqua blue special
ati blue+
uv indigo sun
What do you think?
Thanks in advance!

i am going with 8x39w and wanted to use all geismann bulbs. WHat do I go with? 30%lps 30%sps 20%zoa 20%other stuff. I want a pop of the blues purps and greens

Not sure if this has been asked before, but I have a 90G Oceanic Tech on order and want to go T5. I am thinking an ATI Sunpower 6 bulb, as I think it is narrow enough to fit inside the eurobracing. Anyone tried this combo or know if it will fit without wasting light on the eurobracing? Other suggestions welcome as well.

I'd like to keep a mixed reef of LPS and some easier SPS, and maybe a clam or two. If the Sunpower 6 bulb is a good bet, which bulb combo do you recommend for good growth and aesthetically pleasing tank coloration (white with some blue)? Thanks!

conversion

conversion

Grim, I currently run 3 160w t12 actinics to supplement 3 200w de Mh bulbs. I want to switch to t5. The ballasts are PFOh-2 and I have 2 of them currently I only use 3 of the 4 available ballasts in the 2 ballast boxes. My tank is 72 x 29deep x 24 wide. I would like to not have to buy new ballasts. Can you tell me how many t5 bulbs I can run, if at all on this ballast. I think I have room for a 3ft, 4ft, and 2 5ft bulbs or 3ft, 4ft, and 4 3ft bulbs. Thanks very much for your help. Gerard

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15740548#post15740548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
If you want corals lighting isnt the place to cut costs.

For a softie tank Nova makes a 72" extreme Pro that would work fine,
'

Okay, not knowing alot about corals, but hard corals take more lighting, correct? Being a DIY fan, how about a retrofit kit or setup that would work for many types of corals?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15707202#post15707202 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
Halide
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

All four of my bulbs arrived DOA....Packaging was exceptional from ReefGeek, but the U.P.S. Cro-Magnon monkeys still managed to defile the package. Oh well, another week of waiting for replacement bulbs. I'm crossing my fingers:rolleyes:

Joe

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15743938#post15743938 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by solitude127
I'm planning a 60x30x20. I'm planning on using a ATI PowerModule. I'll probably go with the 4' fixture because of bulb choices. Now my dilema is do I go with 8 bulbs or 10 bulbs? Obviously, 10 would be best for SPS, but do you think I can get away with 8? and if I go with 8, what a good bulb combo and if I go with 10, what's a good bulb combo? I'm looking for a 14kish look. Thanks

Be careful where you place high light critters and the 8 lamp will be fine. Just make sure they are under the reflectors.

Try 5 Blue Plus, 2 UVL Actinic White and a GE 6500K Daylight. Grab a ATI Aquablue as a spare so you can put it in place of a blue plus if you want a little brighter look.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15744015#post15744015 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Richard Yong
Grim,
I am getting the nova extreme pro 6 bulbs. You mentioned that sps should be kept high.... did i make the wrong choice? I have a 90 gal mixed reef. what should i have gone with?

Tek light, Aquactijnics Constellation or the ATI fixtures all would have been better choices but more money too.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15744249#post15744249 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lancecobb1
I went to replace my bulbs and the store didnt have a very good selection, So I got two of the uv indigo sun lamps.
I couldnt find any info on these bulbs, are they any good?
I have an 8 lamp current pro the bulbs are
ati blue+
uv indigo sun
ati blue+
uv actinic white
ati blue+
ati aqua blue special
ati blue+
uv indigo sun
What do you think?
Thanks in advance!

Should be fine. The Indigo sun is UVL's version of the Aquablue lamps.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15744664#post15744664 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bryman
Not sure if this has been asked before, but I have a 90G Oceanic Tech on order and want to go T5. I am thinking an ATI Sunpower 6 bulb, as I think it is narrow enough to fit inside the eurobracing. Anyone tried this combo or know if it will fit without wasting light on the eurobracing? Other suggestions welcome as well.

I'd like to keep a mixed reef of LPS and some easier SPS, and maybe a clam or two. If the Sunpower 6 bulb is a good bet, which bulb combo do you recommend for good growth and aesthetically pleasing tank coloration (white with some blue)? Thanks!

It will be fine over that tank. You are looking at about 12 inches front to rear for the reflectors so it should be good.

Try 4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 UVL Actinic White and a GE 6500K Daylight.

Re: conversion

Re: conversion

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15744750#post15744750 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gerard V
Grim, I currently run 3 160w t12 actinics to supplement 3 200w de Mh bulbs. I want to switch to t5. The ballasts are PFOh-2 and I have 2 of them currently I only use 3 of the 4 available ballasts in the 2 ballast boxes. My tank is 72 x 29deep x 24 wide. I would like to not have to buy new ballasts. Can you tell me how many t5 bulbs I can run, if at all on this ballast. I think I have room for a 3ft, 4ft, and 2 5ft bulbs or 3ft, 4ft, and 4 3ft bulbs. Thanks very much for your help. Gerard

I don't know if the PFO ballasts will run T5s or not. If they are the Workhorses they will. The WH ballast will have 4 red and 1 yellow wire coming from them. If that is the case you can run 2 60" ATI Blue Plus lamps on it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15744806#post15744806 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Creationreefer
'

Okay, not knowing alot about corals, but hard corals take more lighting, correct? Being a DIY fan, how about a retrofit kit or setup that would work for many types of corals?

You could do a retrofit kit using 60" lamps. You could start off with 3 lamps on an Ice Cap 660 ballast with Aqua Illumination reflectors and keep softies to start. Then when you get the bucks add 3 more lamps and step up to some hard corals.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15745362#post15745362 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
It will be fine over that tank. You are looking at about 12 inches front to rear for the reflectors so it should be good.

Try 4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 UVL Actinic White and a GE 6500K Daylight.

Thanks very much Grim!

Grim,

What do you think the kelvin on these two ATI set-ups would be:

Blue +
Aquablue Special
Actinic 03
Blue +

and

Aquablue Special
Actinic 03
Blue +
Aquablue Special

Also, should I run them in that order from front to back. I have the 14K Phoenix MH's in between banks 2 and 3.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15704438#post15704438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
If you have good airflow in the canopy you can use a fixture. As far as lamp placement just make sure you have blue pluses on the dust/dawn sets and place the GE about center with a Actinic white a couple slots front and rear of center.

Hi Grim, I finally got the 8 lamp retrokit.
Now when you say put the Blue Plusses on the dusk/dawn sets...Do you men they should come on before the rest of the lights and last to turn off?

grim,
any bulb suggestion to maximize the par on a 6 bulb extreme so i can place some sps lower 20" ...or should I save up for one of the recomended lights.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15745813#post15745813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by killagoby
Grim,

What do you think the kelvin on these two ATI set-ups would be:

Blue +
Aquablue Special
Actinic 03
Blue +

and

Aquablue Special
Actinic 03
Blue +
Aquablue Special

Also, should I run them in that order from front to back. I have the 14K Phoenix MH's in between banks 2 and 3.

First one would be 20K ish. Second would be around 14K

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15745867#post15745867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pchromis
Hi Grim, I finally got the 8 lamp retrokit.
Now when you say put the Blue Plusses on the dusk/dawn sets...Do you men they should come on before the rest of the lights and last to turn off?

Yep

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15745873#post15745873 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Richard Yong
grim,
any bulb suggestion to maximize the par on a 6 bulb extreme so i can place some sps lower 20" ...or should I save up for one of the recomended lights.

Save up for a better fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back