The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
qestions Grim

qestions Grim

I was gona use my VHO bulbs in the mix but decided not to use the vho.
so i am going to use all T5 bulbs.
I have the reef geek reflectors they are 2.5'' .
and the list of bulbs
2 KZ Fiji purple
2 ATI Aquablue
6 ATI Blue Plus

I want to use six bulbs on two IC 660 one that will run 3 atanic T5 "i think they are the blue+" and the othere IC 660 will run the other 3 bulbs?

what config would you run and on what balast

balast #1
balast #2

Do i need to get any other bulbs?
softys, LPS and SPS only one that i can put higher up.
Thank you for your time

Hi,

I've been flipping through this thread and can't quite find what I'm looking for.

I'm switching from PC lighting to T5 to supplement my 175watt MH lighting and was looking for suggestions for a two bulb combination that would look nice with a 12k Reeflux MH lamp. I'd like to get as close as I could to same color temp as the MH.

I was thinking 1 54watt actinic from UVL and 1 54 watt 75/25 from UVL.

Opinions? Or, is there a better "general purpose" combination? What I don't want is a full actinic look when the MH are off. The PC lighting I was using was 1 96watt dual actinic from Current USA and 1 96 watt 50/50 also from Current USA.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Grim, I have a question that I would strongly value your opnion on. I started a thread but got very little feedback. If you could check it out and give me your opnion I would really appriciate it. Basically I want to know if adding 2 ATI blue+ bulbs to a tank that previously had PC sups could cause bleaching. I have 2-150w Pheonix also. I had the Giesemann pure actinics but wanted a different color so I switched to 2 ATI Blue+. And a day or 2 later my Blue Tort is very pastel looking. And a Milli has signs of STN on the base. I explain better in the thread, but thats the basics.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1709185

Grim,

I'm going to be replacing the bulbs in my 6-bulb fixture and I'm not sure what the best order would be to install them, front to back.

Here's what I currently have on my 75gal sps tank:

*Front*
Blue Plus
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
Pro Color
Aquablue Plus
Blue Plus
*Back*

Right now my colors seem a bit washed-out and it's not as blue as I'd like it. Since I need new bulbs, now's the time to go for a new and better look.

I'm going to use your sps tank recommendation of 4 Blue Plus, 1 Actinic White and 1 GE 6500K. I'd like my tank to look have a nice blue look like a 20K halide would give, and I want to make sure the colors really "pop" at the same time. Here's what I was thinking for my bulb arrangement:

*Front*

Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Actinic White
Blue Plus
GE 6500K
Blue Plus

*Back*

I think this will give it a nice blue look like I want, but I'm wondering if putting the "non-blue" bulbs so far back will still let the colors "pop" or if their effect on the corals' colors will be negated by having the blue bulbs closer to the front of the tank. I'd appreciate your thoughts on my proposed setup, and also what you might do differently to keep the blue look and really make the colors pop out at you.

Thanks Grim,
Joe Schneider

Re: Giesemann Matrix.

Re: Giesemann Matrix.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15733259#post15733259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ThomasDK
Hi Grim,

This is my first post here on RC and a beginner to top it off, but just have to use your expertice :)

I bought a Giesemann Matrix (8 x 39W) for my 85 gallon tank ( http://www.giesemann.de/214,2,,.html ).

Mesurements are 36 x 24 x 24.

The tank is meant to be a mixed tank, but i have a passion for the australian LPS's.

Would you say the light is good enough for the tank size and what bulbs and postion would you suggest?

Thanks a ton in advance ;)

It should be fine for LPS. I assume you have ATI and Giesemann lamps available where you are.

Not sure of the exact placement so just make sure you place blue lamps in the dusk/dawn slots.

Front

ATI Blue Plus (or Gmann Actinic Plus if thats what you can get)
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Aquaflora
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Midday
ATI Blue Plus
ATI or Giesemann Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Re: qestions Grim

Re: qestions Grim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15733342#post15733342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MikeFisher1972
I was gona use my VHO bulbs in the mix but decided not to use the vho.
so i am going to use all T5 bulbs.
I have the reef geek reflectors they are 2.5'' .
and the list of bulbs
2 KZ Fiji purple
2 ATI Aquablue
6 ATI Blue Plus

I want to use six bulbs on two IC 660 one that will run 3 atanic T5 "i think they are the blue+" and the othere IC 660 will run the other 3 bulbs?

what config would you run and on what balast

balast #1
balast #2

Do i need to get any other bulbs?
softys, LPS and SPS only one that i can put higher up.
Thank you for your time

Front
Blue Plus
Blue Plus B2
Fiji Purple B2
Blue Plus
Aquablue B2
Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15733514#post15733514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spazthecat
Hi,

I've been flipping through this thread and can't quite find what I'm looking for.

I'm switching from PC lighting to T5 to supplement my 175watt MH lighting and was looking for suggestions for a two bulb combination that would look nice with a 12k Reeflux MH lamp. I'd like to get as close as I could to same color temp as the MH.

I was thinking 1 54watt actinic from UVL and 1 54 watt 75/25 from UVL.

Opinions? Or, is there a better "general purpose" combination? What I don't want is a full actinic look when the MH are off. The PC lighting I was using was 1 96watt dual actinic from Current USA and 1 96 watt 50/50 also from Current USA.

Thanks,

Andy

Do a Blue Plus and the 75/25. Might be a little more blue but not by much. Should look cool with just the T5's and give you a little extra with the halide running too.

I've mostly been loitering around and have read this entire thread. My hat's off to Grim and the others who offer suggestions.

I have several zoas and I was dying to get some more color out of them. I had 2 aquasuns and 2 super actinics by UVL on my 75.

I replaced the 2 actinics with ATI blue +'s, and they made a HUGE difference. Exactly what I was looking for, everything just pops now.

Thanks again guys.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15733806#post15733806 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by schneijt
Grim,

I'm going to be replacing the bulbs in my 6-bulb fixture and I'm not sure what the best order would be to install them, front to back.

Here's what I currently have on my 75gal sps tank:

*Front*
Blue Plus
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
Pro Color
Aquablue Plus
Blue Plus
*Back*

Right now my colors seem a bit washed-out and it's not as blue as I'd like it. Since I need new bulbs, now's the time to go for a new and better look.

I'm going to use your sps tank recommendation of 4 Blue Plus, 1 Actinic White and 1 GE 6500K. I'd like my tank to look have a nice blue look like a 20K halide would give, and I want to make sure the colors really "pop" at the same time. Here's what I was thinking for my bulb arrangement:

*Front*

Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Actinic White
Blue Plus
GE 6500K
Blue Plus

*Back*

I think this will give it a nice blue look like I want, but I'm wondering if putting the "non-blue" bulbs so far back will still let the colors "pop" or if their effect on the corals' colors will be negated by having the blue bulbs closer to the front of the tank. I'd appreciate your thoughts on my proposed setup, and also what you might do differently to keep the blue look and really make the colors pop out at you.

Thanks Grim,
Joe Schneider

That is what I would go with.

I have a 36 Current USA Nova Extreme Pro with 4 39 watt, it will be put over a 40 breeder, where the focus will be zoas, rics, yumas, and lps (mostly torches). I am looking for a really blue look, and I was wondering what bulbs you might recomend for someone on a buget.
thanks,
mike

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15734556#post15734556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by filly469075
I have a 36 Current USA Nova Extreme Pro with 4 39 watt, it will be put over a 40 breeder, where the focus will be zoas, rics, yumas, and lps (mostly torches). I am looking for a really blue look, and I was wondering what bulbs you might recomend for someone on a buget.
thanks,
mike

3 ATI Blue Plus with one of your stock current 10K's

Question on constellation fixture

Question on constellation fixture

Thinking of switch to ALL T5, and the fixture will be 48" constellation. Need to go to tank mount, hanging is not a option since tank is in high ceiling area. Have a question on mounting: most site selling this fixture mention like: "Includes tank mounting brackets but not the riser brackets. Riser Brackets sold separately.", does this means that standard mounting brackets will not raise the fixture at all? If I want to raise like 2 - 3 inches on top of tank frame, do I have to buy riser bracket? I could not find any pictures for these mounting bracket v.s riser brackets, so it is confusing for me. Could anyone kindly share a picture of these brackets? Thanks!
*extra question: I am currently using current USA outer orbit MH + PC actinic fixture, any chance I can use the current mounting leg on the constellation?

BTW, my tank is standard 75G 48" X 18" X 21"

Alright, this goes to any of the T5 pros crusin this thread.

I just ordered a Sunlight supply Maristar (MH w/2 T5). I plan on using the MH on a 5 hour light schedule, and the T5 on a 12 hour light schedule.

I was thinking of running two14K looking MH bulbs, then using a red'sh bulb (like the KZ or Fiji) and a actinic bulb for the T5's. But I am thinking that if i do that, it will leave me with some pretty weird lighting for the majority of the day (remember, halides are only on for 5 hours). How would that look?

Any recommendations as far as the bulb combo here?

Re: Question on constellation fixture

Re: Question on constellation fixture

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15735138#post15735138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryanjiang
Thinking of switch to ALL T5, and the fixture will be 48" constellation. Need to go to tank mount, hanging is not a option since tank is in high ceiling area. Have a question on mounting: most site selling this fixture mention like: "Includes tank mounting brackets but not the riser brackets. Riser Brackets sold separately.", does this means that standard mounting brackets will not raise the fixture at all? If I want to raise like 2 - 3 inches on top of tank frame, do I have to buy riser bracket? I could not find any pictures for these mounting bracket v.s riser brackets, so it is confusing for me. Could anyone kindly share a picture of these brackets? Thanks!
*extra question: I am currently using current USA outer orbit MH + PC actinic fixture, any chance I can use the current mounting leg on the constellation?

BTW, my tank is standard 75G 48" X 18" X 21"

I dunno, I just had mine sitting right on the tank frame. Check with Aquactinics to see if they have pictures.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15735369#post15735369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 1DeR9_3Hy
Alright, this goes to any of the T5 pros crusin this thread.

I just ordered a Sunlight supply Maristar (MH w/2 T5). I plan on using the MH on a 5 hour light schedule, and the T5 on a 12 hour light schedule.

I was thinking of running two14K looking MH bulbs, then using a red'sh bulb (like the KZ or Fiji) and a actinic bulb for the T5's. But I am thinking that if i do that, it will leave me with some pretty weird lighting for the majority of the day (remember, halides are only on for 5 hours). How would that look?

Any recommendations as far as the bulb combo here?

Blue Plus in front, KZ in rear shouldn't look weird with just the T5's running, slightly purple tint to as blue light.

Hi there :)
Grim, do you know the par value of the KZ New Generation Coral Light T5 bulb? It has a very nice color in my opinion ( with respect to Ati aquablue), but I dont know whether the par value is comparable to Ati Aquablue special.
Thanks Grim, you do a lot for the community...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15736643#post15736643 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Altikesimoglu
Hi there :)
Grim, do you know the par value of the KZ New Generation Coral Light T5 bulb? It has a very nice color in my opinion ( with respect to Ati aquablue), but I dont know whether the par value is comparable to Ati Aquablue special.
Thanks Grim, you do a lot for the community...

PAR was OK, not there with the Blue Plus or Aquablues but still pretty good.

Im about to start pulling the trigger on my new reef tank, Got my mind set on a 36x36x20 cube.

Im looking for a 20k look with alot of coral color pop flourescent specially.

Im going to have alot of LPS, ricordeas, zoas, bubble tip anemone and maybe some SPS in the future.

How would an ATI 10x24 work on this cube?

5 ATI blue plus
2 ATI Actinic 03
2 ATI Aquablue 12k
1 ATI Procolor

What do you guys think?

48"Nova Extreme 8x54w T5 HO + 4 LED's (German Parabolic Reflector)
and...
48" Nova Extreme 6x54w T5 HO (Individual Lense Reflector)

Which would have better PAR output? Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Also what would be a good bulb spread for pop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back