The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to start up a 125 gallon tank, I am trying to cut cost by as much as possible, but I don't want to skimp too much because I want to have a good quality setup. I am looking at T-5 lighting, and the footprint for my 125 gallon is- 72.5"x18.5"x23.5" (LxWxH) I wanted to be able to have all kinds of fish and coral, what is my best option for quality/price, etc...

TIA!!
CreationReefer

T-5 on 90G

T-5 on 90G

I just ordered a ice cap 660 ballast if I'm understanding right I can overdrive 4 48" bulbs with it what would you recomend driving the other 2 48" bulbs with ? Thanks for the help .

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15738267#post15738267 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmu
Im about to start pulling the trigger on my new reef tank, Got my mind set on a 36x36x20 cube.

Im looking for a 20k look with alot of coral color pop flourescent specially.

Im going to have alot of LPS, ricordeas, zoas, bubble tip anemone and maybe some SPS in the future.

How would an ATI 10x24 work on this cube?

5 ATI blue plus
2 ATI Actinic 03
2 ATI Aquablue 12k
1 ATI Procolor

What do you guys think?

Use the UVL Actinic White instead of the Pro Color

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15738321#post15738321 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Saltyllama
48"Nova Extreme 8x54w T5 HO + 4 LED's (German Parabolic Reflector)
and...
48" Nova Extreme 6x54w T5 HO (Individual Lense Reflector)

Which would have better PAR output? Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Also what would be a good bulb spread for pop?

The pro with individual reflectors.

4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 GE 6500K Daylight and a UVL Actinic White.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15739402#post15739402 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Creationreefer
I am about to start up a 125 gallon tank, I am trying to cut cost by as much as possible, but I don't want to skimp too much because I want to have a good quality setup. I am looking at T-5 lighting, and the footprint for my 125 gallon is- 72.5"x18.5"x23.5" (LxWxH) I wanted to be able to have all kinds of fish and coral, what is my best option for quality/price, etc...

TIA!!
CreationReefer

If you want corals lighting isnt the place to cut costs.

For a softie tank Nova makes a 72" extreme Pro that would work fine,

Re: T-5 on 90G

Re: T-5 on 90G

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15739583#post15739583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishog
I just ordered a ice cap 660 ballast if I'm understanding right I can overdrive 4 48" bulbs with it what would you recomend driving the other 2 48" bulbs with ? Thanks for the help .

Whatever spec T5 ballast you can get. Triad, Sylvania, universal etc.

I just installed an ATI Sunpower 6x80w over my 180. After letting it run a couple days I'm not liking my color combination. It just seems a bit blue for my taste. The fixture actually hangs in a fish room so the only light I see is through the front glass, but looking at it for a few moments is like looking at an arc welder :eek2: This thing is bright!

Lamps include: 4x Blue Plus, 1x GE 6500k, and 1x Aquablue special.

Any suggestions? I thought of exchanging one of the Blue Plus' for a Fiji Purple. The tank will be a mixed reef with an emphasis on sps.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15740643#post15740643 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kenfuzed
I just installed an ATI Sunpower 6x80w over my 180. After letting it run a couple days I'm not liking my color combination. It just seems a bit blue for my taste. The fixture actually hangs in a fish room so the only light I see is through the front glass, but looking at it for a few moments is like looking at an arc welder :eek2: This thing is bright!

Lamps include: 4x Blue Plus, 1x GE 6500k, and 1x Aquablue special.

Any suggestions? I thought of exchanging one of the Blue Plus' for a Fiji Purple. The tank will be a mixed reef with an emphasis on sps.

A fiji purple in place of a blue plus would probably get you what you are looking for,

I am currently running 2 blue+ bulbs along with 2 75/25's, and 2 aquasun's. I am wanting to replace one aquasun with a 03 actinic bulb but not sure about the other 2 actinics. I am thinking stick with two Blue+ and adding a Super Actinic.
Any comments?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15741493#post15741493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gsxunv04
I am currently running 2 blue+ bulbs along with 2 75/25's, and 2 aquasun's. I am wanting to replace one aquasun with a 03 actinic bulb but not sure about the other 2 actinics. I am thinking stick with two Blue+ and adding a Super Actinic.
Any comments?

I would add another Blue Plus instead of an actinic.

can you help me with a 4 bulb setup with geisemann brands bulbs. i have mixed corals and looking for a 12k color look that will make colors pop thx in advance.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15740527#post15740527 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer

what is the diference between the pro color and th UVL actinic white?

Thx again

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15740527#post15740527 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer

Thx again

I was hoping someone might chime in on my lighting choices. I'm converting to a oceanic tech tank 4 x 2 x 2 120g. with heavy load of SPS, LPS, few zoa's and Clams.

I'm trying to decide between

48" Maristar 2x 250w with 254w T5
or
48" ATI PM 8x 54 w or 10 x 54

I would love some feed back...FYI- I do have a Chiller- just looking for the better quality light for growth and color!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15741799#post15741799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by deeemaa
can you help me with a 4 bulb setup with geisemann brands bulbs. i have mixed corals and looking for a 12k color look that will make colors pop thx in advance.

2 Actinic Plus, 1 Midday and 1 Aquablue

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15742126#post15742126 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mitremark
I was looking at the extreme pro. Are they ok to use on open top aquariums?

Yep. As long as you keep in mind the Nova isn't a par monster so if your tank is more than about 16" tall you can only keep SPS on top of the rocks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15742999#post15742999 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmu

Thx again

They still make the actinic white :)

The Actinic white is a little less harsh than the PC and has actinic pop as well. Also more PAR. Both will add red, the Pro Color just had more red in it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15743092#post15743092 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spoofer
I was hoping someone might chime in on my lighting choices. I'm converting to a oceanic tech tank 4 x 2 x 2 120g. with heavy load of SPS, LPS, few zoa's and Clams.

I'm trying to decide between

48" Maristar 2x 250w with 254w T5
or
48" ATI PM 8x 54 w or 10 x 54

I would love some feed back...FYI- I do have a Chiller- just looking for the better quality light for growth and color!

Either will work fine over that tank. It really depends on whether or not you want the Shimmer lines you get with halides. People are discovering the notion that you have to have a chiller with halides is bunk. If your house has AC and your tank is in a big room with lots of air flow you have a pretty good chance of getting by without using the chiller. Of course the Maristar will use about 650 watts and you can get the same or better coverage and PAR with the 8 lamp PM for about 450 watts.

I'm planning a 60x30x20. I'm planning on using a ATI PowerModule. I'll probably go with the 4' fixture because of bulb choices. Now my dilema is do I go with 8 bulbs or 10 bulbs? Obviously, 10 would be best for SPS, but do you think I can get away with 8? and if I go with 8, what a good bulb combo and if I go with 10, what's a good bulb combo? I'm looking for a 14kish look. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back