The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15719956#post15719956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AlexNg
i using t5ho list

front

ATI blue +
UVL 454
ICECAP actinic
KZ 14000K
KZ FIJI Furple
ATI actinic
UVL actinic white 12000K
ATI blue +

it is the best or not ??

any good idea for t5ho X 8 , for keep SPS and little acan , LPS

thanks

Yes, it would be a good mix. You will need to play with the positions a little to get the look you like. I would swap the position of the 454 with the Fiji Purple.

Grim,
Need a little good advice. I'm setting up a DT (60 x 19 x 19). I will have to build a canopy for it. I'm wanting to use T5's in it. Starting out just a FOWLR and will be adding corals at a later time, unless I start adding them sooner....:D . Would 48" bulbs work or should I go to 60"? Suggestions on equipment and types of lights would be great also. Height above the water for the lights? I guess I'm wanting to know what kind of setup do I need since I'm in the planning stage of my lighting.

Thanks,
David

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15719625#post15719625 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Depends on your taste. If you like the more pure violet the Giesemann Pure Actinic. If you like a little blue light in the actinic the ATI Or UVL Super Actinic.

Thanks... which bulb do you think is the closest match to the URI VHO actinic?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15721164#post15721164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TexanTrail
Grim,
Need a little good advice. I'm setting up a DT (60 x 19 x 19). I will have to build a canopy for it. I'm wanting to use T5's in it. Starting out just a FOWLR and will be adding corals at a later time, unless I start adding them sooner....:D . Would 48" bulbs work or should I go to 60"? Suggestions on equipment and types of lights would be great also. Height above the water for the lights? I guess I'm wanting to know what kind of setup do I need since I'm in the planning stage of my lighting.

Thanks,
David

For just starting out a 2 lamp Ice Cap retro from reefgeek would be fine. Ge the HO version with the standard ballast, not the VHO with Ice Cap ballast.When you decide to step up to corals just order another 4 lamp retro from Geek. Use 2 ATI Aquablues for your fish only setup.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15721472#post15721472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stealle
Thanks... which bulb do you think is the closest match to the URI VHO actinic?
The UVL Super Actinic.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15722974#post15722974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
For just starting out a 2 lamp Ice Cap retro from reefgeek would be fine. Ge the HO version with the standard ballast, not the VHO with Ice Cap ballast.When you decide to step up to corals just order another 4 lamp retro from Geek. Use 2 ATI Aquablues for your fish only setup.

Thanks, Grim!! Would 48" bulbs be ok, or should I go 60"?

Grim ,

The bulbs I have right now ( not used ) are 4 ati blue plus 4 kz fiji purple and today I picked up 2 giesemann middays to try to off set the color a bit .

The lay out is going to be depth on front and a little more on back with most of the sps centered to make it look as if its rising ( hope u understand that ) . ( the 8 original bulbs were supposed to be for supp lighting ) .

Anyway out of those 10 bulbs which 8 would you select , basically I am debating if I should get rid of 2 kz's or 2 ati blue plus's or 1 of each .

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15723374#post15723374 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Versus
Grim ,

The bulbs I have right now ( not used ) are 4 ati blue plus 4 kz fiji purple and today I picked up 2 giesemann middays to try to off set the color a bit .

The lay out is going to be depth on front and a little more on back with most of the sps centered to make it look as if its rising ( hope u understand that ) . ( the 8 original bulbs were supposed to be for supp lighting ) .

Anyway out of those 10 bulbs which 8 would you select , basically I am debating if I should get rid of 2 kz's or 2 ati blue plus's or 1 of each .

I'd run 4 Blue Plus and 2 of each of the others.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15723999#post15723999 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
I'd run 4 Blue Plus and 2 of each of the others.

Thanks grim :D

Hi! I´ve got a sunpower 6x39w, now Im using :

front

blue+
aquablue spezial (white)
actinic
blue+
aquablue spezial (white)
blue+

It´s enough to pop up colors and have a good growth rate?? or should I use one more actinic to get colors???

thanxs!

Last edited:
Grimm, I have a 48Lx24Wx20D, currently only running two 48" VHO t12's (one super actinic, one actinic). I would like to add two more VHO T12 bulbs, what are your recommendations?

Thanks!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15706382#post15706382 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Dang! My eyes are killing me and my wife isn't happy that I've been reading for so long
I have a 70g ultimate tank and I'm trying to figure out the best bulb combo for a TX5. I have a mixed tank with about 70% Acros and 30% LPS. I have about six combos written down and now I'm confused. I'm looking for at least a 14k look.

Would this work:
Blue+
75/25
Blue+
GE 6500
Blue+

OR

Aqua blue
Blue+
Actinic White
blue+
Aqua blue

Thanks in advance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would go with the top mix. Sounds good to me.

Thank you for the advice Grim, but I have another question. I just picked up 6 new UVL bulbs for dirt cheap and I wanted to know what you think of them as I really don't see them mentioned.
I got UVL 3 Actinic white,UVL 75/25 and 2 UVL indigo sun (which might be to new). Any chance I could work with this or would I get to much pink?
Thanks in advance

Hey Grim,

I am currently running 4x39w(2left actinic,tru actinic/2right color plus, spezial blue)and a 150w 14k over a 40G 24" cube. I have sps leathers zoas. I wanted your input on whether I should go with 8x39w over it, and what bulbs(left to right). or stay with the way I have it now. here is a photo if things currently.NOT PERMINANT
DSC_1156.jpg

I currently have a 72 inch Aquactinics Constellation T5 High Output fixture. Is there another T-5 fixture on the market that is better than this? Should I overdrive the lights for better growth rate or is it fine as is ?

For an sps dominated tank, what would be the best four bulb combo? The tank is a 40g breeder which is 36x18x12.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15724657#post15724657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kurtkob
Hi! I´ve got a sunpower 6x39w, now Im using :

front

blue+
aquablue spezial (white)
actinic
blue+
aquablue spezial (white)
blue+

It´s enough to pop up colors and have a good growth rate?? or should I use one more actinic to get colors???

thanxs!

No, the Blus plus does a pretty good job of fluorescing. Id stick with the one actinic.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15725318#post15725318 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gunkel
Grimm, I have a 48Lx24Wx20D, currently only running two 48" VHO t12's (one super actinic, one actinic). I would like to add two more VHO T12 bulbs, what are your recommendations?

Thanks!!!

Throw away the dinosaurs and get some real lights :D

Ad an Actinic White and a 454.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back