The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15725671#post15725671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by N-A-S-O
Thank you for the advice Grim, but I have another question. I just picked up 6 new UVL bulbs for dirt cheap and I wanted to know what you think of them as I really don't see them mentioned.
I got UVL 3 Actinic white,UVL 75/25 and 2 UVL indigo sun (which might be to new). Any chance I could work with this or would I get to much pink?
Thanks in advance

You could use the Actinic White and Indigo sun with 3 ATI Blue Plus.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15725749#post15725749 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by witelytr
Hey Grim,

I am currently running 4x39w(2left actinic,tru actinic/2right color plus, spezial blue)and a 150w 14k over a 40G 24" cube. I have sps leathers zoas. I wanted your input on whether I should go with 8x39w over it, and what bulbs(left to right). or stay with the way I have it now. here is a photo if things currently.NOT PERMINANT
DSC_1156.jpg
'
Thats kinda up yo you. If you like what you have build a canopy and run with it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15726508#post15726508 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rcranf1
I currently have a 72 inch Aquactinics Constellation T5 High Output fixture. Is there another T-5 fixture on the market that is better than this? Should I overdrive the lights for better growth rate or is it fine as is ?

Should be fine for a 125. I doubt you would get a thing overdriving it. The heat would kill any real output gains.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15727811#post15727811 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
'
Thats kinda up yo you. If you like what you have build a canopy and run with it.

so if I go with T5's then what bulbs should I use?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15727233#post15727233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MyTank
For an sps dominated tank, what would be the best four bulb combo? The tank is a 40g breeder which is 36x18x12.

2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue and a UVL Actinic White.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15727939#post15727939 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by witelytr
so if I go with T5's then what bulbs should I use?

for 6 lamps do 4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 GE 6500K Daylight and a UVL Actinic White.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15717706#post15717706 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by teog
Here is my setup up on grims recommendation. 10x54. 4 bulbs are being over driven by IC 660. All other bulbs are in a NEP 6x54 fixture.

I already had 2 blue plus bulbs and 2 UVL super actinics. Looks a little purple in person. Im not loving it, but seems to be ok. Dont mind the cyno, tank is less than 2 months old. But it really stands out now.

front to back
UVL 75/25
UVL super actinic
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus
GE 6500k
UVL super actinic
ATI blue plus
UVL 75/25
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus

DSC00842.jpg

So I have a typo. Im not using UVL 75/25. They are UVL actinic whites.

I've moved the bulbs around a bit to see if I can get more of a blue look. But nothing yet, tends to be a bit on the pink/purple side.

Im running
Front
UVL super actinic
UVL actinic white
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus
GE 65k
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus
ULV actinic white
UVL super actinic

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15727798#post15727798 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Throw away the dinosaurs and get some real lights :D

Ad an Actinic White and a 454.

The T12 bulbs are less than 3 months old, and the Icecap 430 ballast is less than two years old. Should I x the dinosaurs completely and switch over to T5's? If so, can you give me a recommendation on what retro bulbs/ballasts?

Could I add a few t5's and switch out the t12's at a later date (6 months max), if so, could you recommend bulbs/ballast?

Hood is homemade so retro bulbs/reflectors would be needed, and I am slowing working on a mixed reef tank.

IMG_1907.jpg
[/IMG]_
IMG_1902.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks!!!
beer_toast.jpg
[/IMG]_

What would be better lighting? ati sunpower 4 bulb 48in or tek 6 bulb 48in? it will go over a 75 gallon aqueon.

Grim,
For a reto kit to supplement 250MH, are the ice cap ballast/reflectors really needed? Looking for that antic pop to add to my MH. I am doing a new setup on a 300 Marineland DD tank. 72x36x27. What would you suggest as far as lenght/ballast/reflector/bulb ... The MH bulbs will be 12k or 20k reeflux bulbs, still undecided.

Regards,
haxer ...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15730075#post15730075 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Haxer
Grim,
For a reto kit to supplement 250MH, are the ice cap ballast/reflectors really needed? Looking for that antic pop to add to my MH. I am doing a new setup on a 300 Marineland DD tank. 72x36x27. What would you suggest as far as lenght/ballast/reflector/bulb ... The MH bulbs will be 12k or 20k reeflux bulbs, still undecided.

Regards,
haxer ...

250w Radiums.....60" ATI Blueplus with Aqua Illumintation reflectors....on IceCap 660's

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15729055#post15729055 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gunkel
The T12 bulbs are less than 3 months old, and the Icecap 430 ballast is less than two years old. Should I x the dinosaurs completely and switch over to T5's? If so, can you give me a recommendation on what retro bulbs/ballasts?

Could I add a few t5's and switch out the t12's at a later date (6 months max), if so, could you recommend bulbs/ballast?

Hood is homemade so retro bulbs/reflectors would be needed, and I am slowing working on a mixed reef tank.

IMG_1907.jpg
[/IMG]_
IMG_1902.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks!!!
beer_toast.jpg
[/IMG]_

Yep, Get a two lamp retrofit kit from reefgeek with a UVL Actinic White and a ATI Blue Plus lamp. That 430 ballast will run T5 lamps, 2 of them. What I would do is eventually get to the point where you have 2 Ice Cap 430 ballasts. One running a ATI Blue Plus T5 and a URI/UVL Super Actnic T12 (Yeas you can run 2 different style lamps on the same IC ballast) and a second 430 ballast running a UVL Actinic White T5 and a ATI Aquablue T5. Lot of PAR in a system like that. You will need to add a fan blowing in from the back down the row of endcaps where the label ends of the lamps are located.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15729273#post15729273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cubsFAN
What would be better lighting? ati sunpower 4 bulb 48in or tek 6 bulb 48in? it will go over a 75 gallon aqueon.

Flip a coin. I would probably go with more lamps to have better coverage.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15730075#post15730075 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Haxer
Grim,

Regards,
haxer ...

I agree with Tas. I think I would get a 6 lamp Aqua Illumination setup.

Front
ATI Blue Plus Ballast 1
KZ Fiji Purple Ballast 1
ATI Blue Plus
Halide
ATI Blue Plus Ballast 1
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

What it would do is give you a nice look running the 3 lamps on ballast one with the halide and give a very nice look running just the 6 T5's. It would allow you to run the halide as little as 4 hours a day and still get good growth.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15731109#post15731109 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
I agree with Tas. I think I would get a 6 lamp Aqua Illumination setup.

Front
ATI Blue Plus Ballast 1
KZ Fiji Purple Ballast 1
ATI Blue Plus
Halide
ATI Blue Plus Ballast 1
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

What it would do is give you a nice look running the 3 lamps on ballast one with the halide and give a very nice look running just the 6 T5's. It would allow you to run the halide as little as 4 hours a day and still get good growth.

Wow...
I dont know if i will have enough room with the three MH and lumenarc reflectors to run three T5's in front and behind them?
I was looking at mabey just one 60" UVL super antic in front and behind the lumenarc reflectors... would this still give good antic "pop" with the MH ?

I gotta Q maybe you can help......

450g.....96wx36dx30h acrylic with a top brace that has three large square holes cut out. The top bracing is 1" think acrylic. Going to run three 400w halides and suppliment with 16 36" overdriven t5's. Gonna run 4 t5's the a halide then 4 more then a halide, etc.

Will this be sufficient light for a 30" tall reef tank? Or what would you recommend? All help is appreciated......Lance

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15732052#post15732052 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Haxer
Wow...
I dont know if i will have enough room with the three MH and lumenarc reflectors to run three T5's in front and behind them?
I was looking at mabey just one 60" UVL super antic in front and behind the lumenarc reflectors... would this still give good antic "pop" with the MH ?

Then run 3, 2 ATI Blue Plus and an ATI Actinic.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15732057#post15732057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 60Cubed
I gotta Q maybe you can help......

450g.....96wx36dx30h acrylic with a top brace that has three large square holes cut out. The top bracing is 1" think acrylic. Going to run three 400w halides and suppliment with 16 36" overdriven t5's. Gonna run 4 t5's the a halide then 4 more then a halide, etc.

Will this be sufficient light for a 30" tall reef tank? Or what would you recommend? All help is appreciated......Lance

The T5's aren't gonna give you squat for PAR shining through 1" thick acrylic so don't count on them for anything but looks.

Giesemann Matrix.

Giesemann Matrix.

Hi Grim,

This is my first post here on RC and a beginner to top it off, but just have to use your expertice :)

I bought a Giesemann Matrix (8 x 39W) for my 85 gallon tank ( http://www.giesemann.de/214,2,,.html ).

Mesurements are 36 x 24 x 24.

The tank is meant to be a mixed tank, but i have a passion for the australian LPS's.

Would you say the light is good enough for the tank size and what bulbs and postion would you suggest?

Thanks a ton in advance ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back