TheAquatect's 150g in-wall build

Did you ever find out the answer to your question about the 15 amp breaker or 20 amp breaker question?

I did a bit more research into it. My concern was overloading the line but it turns out the amperage draw on most things is pretty low. My 2 pumps only pull something like .6 amps so totally all my equipment up it comes to far less than 15 amps. But in the event it needs to be done, I was told swapping out the breaker for a 20 amp (assuming my service is not overloaded) is a simple project. Personally, I would not be swapping breakers if I need to, that box scares the crud out of be. Im OK with outlets and switches but thats my line. :)

Nice start I will be tagging along as well, Your stand looks like it will hold a truck great job, I like to over build as well. Nice framing as to.

Thanks. I figure the tank will be around 1800 lbs with water and rock so I figured the extra lumber was worht it.

Just a thought the rock you have looks like very solid rock (not porous) it is the porous rock that has the best nullifying bacteria that live deep in the rock where there is no oxygen, they are the bacteria that help change the nitrates to nitrogen gas, keeping the nitrate low in your system. Just a thought. If you have the porous rock you can have twice the rock at about half the weight.

So the rock I have is florida limestone, its still very porous but it is dense compared to some "typical" reef rock. Between it and the DSB, there will be more than enough surface area for bacteria to thrive.

In my FW planted tank world denitrification occurs mostly with cellular respiration but with a lack of plants in a SW tank I would assume the aerobic bacterial process from facultative anaerobic organisms would be the dominant denitrification process and anaerobic denitrification playing second string support. The aerobic nitrification process is a far more efficient conversion than the anaerobic one so I am not too concerned with the level of anaerobic activity. Should I be? Is there a difference in SW i should be aware of? I was thinking the DSB would be more than enough.

So the rock I have is Florida limestone, its still very porous but it is dense compared to some "typical" reef rock. Between it and the DSB, there will be more than enough surface area for bacteria to thrive.

Cool.

Thanks. I figure the tank will be around 1800 lbs with water and rock so I figured the extra lumber was worht it.

So the rock I have is florida limestone, its still very porous but it is dense compared to some "typical" reef rock. Between it and the DSB, there will be more than enough surface area for bacteria to thrive.

In my FW planted tank world denitrification occurs mostly with cellular respiration but with a lack of plants in a SW tank I would assume the aerobic bacterial process from facultative anaerobic organisms would be the dominant denitrification process and anaerobic denitrification playing second string support. The aerobic nitrification process is a far more efficient conversion than the anaerobic one so I am not too concerned with the level of anaerobic activity. Should I be? Is there a difference in SW i should be aware of? I was thinking the DSB would be more than enough.

My free time took a serious nose dive because because of Mothers day and my wife and daughters birthday AND a first communion all in one week! To boot, this year my wife's birthday was ON mothers day...so not a ton of progress. :fun4:

I also have to admit that the plumbing is causing me problems. Every time i get under the tank, I figure about 3 different ways to run/position things. Its driving me nuts and I am obsessing over the layout. :hmm5:

But I did get a few things done, mainly finished the trim work with the flip top to feed the fish.

2012-05-09_12-52-01_52.jpg

close-up and you can see I've started on the plumbing in the background.
2012-05-09_12-51-14_133.jpg

with the lid up you can see the wall framing, which I coated in plasticoat spray. I am in the process of finishing the exposed edges with 3/4" aluminum trim to cover the rough drywall edges.
2012-05-09_12-52-46_679.jpg

2012-05-09_12-53-00_129.jpg

Ok so I managed to get 98% of my plumbing parts and finalized the plans so progress and an update is not far off.
But i could use some opinions, I was thinking about the kind of floor covering I could use under the tank where the sump and pumps are. I was looking at those large rubber door mats with deep groves to hold water. Any ideas on what works well?

I managed to dry fit the plumbing and have the sections glued up. I have made more than my fair share of trips to the hardware store! :)

I'll post some pics tonight and am hoping to get a water test going this weekend or next.

Plumbing is done! I feel like a huge milestone has passed... or a kidney stone, not sure which. :celeb1:

So here is my first cut at plumbing a reef...

The glass-holes 1500 overflow on the far right is running 2 2in drains and I opted to go over the top on the 2 returns for flexibility and because I was never 100% given its my first time.
2012-06-10_09-32-49_698.jpg

Shot of the lower half, you can see the 2 drains, I use 1 2 inch to feed the iwaki pumps. I kept it 2in all the way until the spa flex which is 1 1/2in to the 3/4" pump fitting. Should give plenty of flow. The other 2in drain feeds my sump and ATS, again should be plenty of flow.I also replaced the flooring under the tank and about 2 feet out with a thick rubber mat which works awesome for spills and doubles as noise isolation for the pumps.
2012-06-10_09-33-06_542.jpg

Here is a closeup of the pump plumbing, both are identical with 3/4in returns to the tank.
2012-06-10_09-33-21_402.jpg

Here is the closup of the Sump/ATS return. I went 2in all the way to the sum but added a 2in to 3/4" Tee to branch to the ATS. The ATS has a ball valve for maintainance and i can use the 2in valve to control back-flow so the ATS gets plenty of water.
2012-06-10_09-36-02_882.jpg

Shot of my over the top plumbing, 3/4" all the way through to the 3/4in loc-line.
Left side.
2012-06-10_09-36-25_312.jpg

Right side.
2012-06-10_09-36-31_602.jpg

And finally adding some water to test her out.
2012-06-09_12-08-37_923.jpg

I'm running about 24 hours now with just a few small bulkhead leaks i fixed through the use of teflon thread paste (awesome stuff!!). I have the pumps alternating every 2-4 hours at "random" interval lengths for the gyre flow. Its cool to watch some of the dust at the bottom of the tank pool up on one side then move to the other when the flow switches. If all goes well, rock sand and the silent progress of cycling should be soon. :lol2:

So I've been working on the rock work and I think I've finally got something worth sharing. Tell me what you guys think..
2012-06-21_20-52-12_698.jpg

2012-06-21_20-53-06_510.jpg

2012-06-21_20-52-55_853.jpg

2012-06-21_20-52-45_562.jpg

Back