therman's 40B SPS tank, TOTM Oct 2001 and reef nostalgia thread

Yea I live near Phil but I have not seen him in a long time. He moved and I did about the same time. I have not been to his place or he has not been here yet but he is not to far. I contacted him a few weeks ago. I see Carlos more and he asked me to stop by Tim's and pick some stuff up from him. I go to Ohio allot since Sandy is from there and two of her kids still live there.

I have not seen or heard from D and actually the last time I saw him was at Phil's. He came down with his wife. I see post on FB from him he is big into BBQing now.

The old days, hobby was so much more fun.

I miss Chat on IRC.

It is.
Yeah, I remember those chat days, staying up way too late on work nights with the group. We had a lot of fun in those days. I echo a lot of the sentiments in this thread. I absolutely cannot stand the (I'll call them) cutsie names for corals. I much preferred those days where we broke out our Veron books and tried to ID the Acros by their scientific names.

On a side note, I've been looking for an A. Sarmentosa for a long time. I found a frag a couple years ago on ebay and bought it. Then, had some tank issues and lost it. I'm not sure I'll ever find one again unless I can figure out the cutsie name for it today:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I remember those chat days, staying up way too late on work nights with the group. We had a lot of fun in those days. I echo a lot of the sentiments in this thread. I absolutely cannot stand the (I'll call them) cutsie names for corals. I much preferred those days where we broke out our Veron books and tried to ID the Acros by their scientific names.

On a side note, I've been looking for an A. Sarmentosa for a long time. I found a frag a couple years ago on ebay and bought it. Then, had some tank issues and lost it. I'm not sure I'll ever find one again unless I can figure out the cutsie name for it today:ROFLMAO:

Dr Mac gets them in once in a while. I would not trust most with acropora id but allot of his is aquacultured.
He has some from time to time.

Dr Mac gets them in once in a while. I would not trust most with acropora id but allot of his is aquacultured.
He has some from time to time.

Thanks for the tip shred. The one I had many, many moons ago was bright yellowish green. I cannot remember if I gave frags to Tim, Carlos or Nanook

Last edited:

I like the 'Enable No Glitz' option that Adam (BattleCorals) gives on his website to turn off the silly names and show the scientific names instead. Jake Adams has also expressed his disapproval of these naming conventions in more than one episode of ReefTherapy.

I like the 'Enable No Glitz' option that Adam (BattleCorals) gives on his website to turn off the silly names and show the scientific names instead. Jake Adams has also expressed his disapproval of these naming conventions in more than one episode of ReefTherapy.
That's good to know. Just checked it out and like it (y)

Yea that's my tennis back from 2014 before the tenuis craze. I never gave it a cool name. Everyone was like that's "Jacksons tenuis" and it stuck lol. I was running halides and it really colored up. I can only imagine how it would glow under radions today.

Glad you never gave it a cool name. Nothing’s cooler than the “real” name: A. Tenuis👍

Hey jackson, what's this?

aqua delight- maybe.jpg

What's up Big E! That was a wild nasuta frag. That tank has been gone for 5 years. I'm back in action with a new 200g but it's in its infancy. Still running halides though :)
What bulbs are you running on the new tank? I've only got a 40 breeder right now and I'm running 175w 11K MH over it.

What bulbs are you running on the new tank? I've only got a 40 breeder right now and I'm running 175w 11K MH over it.

I’m running 250w ushio 20ks on Hamilton hqi ballasts. I have new radium bulbs but can’t get these ballasts to fire the bulbs. Not really sure what the problem is yet. The radium’s work with an electronic ballast but look dim and blue.

It’s slim pickings out there with halide equipment, but there are some deals do be had for sure. If you find yourself searching for bulbs it’s seems ushio and reefbrite still have the available regularly. I tried this cheap china halides off of eBay, they don’t last long.

I’m running 250w ushio 20ks on Hamilton hqi ballasts. I have new radium bulbs but can’t get these ballasts to fire the bulbs. Not really sure what the problem is yet. The radium’s work with an electronic ballast but look dim and blue.

It’s slim pickings out there with halide equipment, but there are some deals do be had for sure. If you find yourself searching for bulbs it’s seems ushio and reefbrite still have the available regularly. I tried this cheap china halides off of eBay, they don’t last long.
Are your 250w bulbs SE or DE?

Yeah, I know how hard MH is to find right now and I do periodically search the web for bulbs. I recently heard that Ushio discontinued production of reef MH bulbs so, I expect those to become hard to find soon. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to buy any right now as the lowest I've found them is $80/bulb.

A while back, Coralvue had an Outlet Store on ebay selling a bunch of discontinued items. I got 2 pendants, 4 electronic ballasts, and 8 Reeflux 175w 12K bulbs (wish I would have bought all the bulbs they had but didn't have the cash). Later, I found 8 Iwasaki 175w 15K bulbs and bought all of those. Then, later, I found 8 Aqua Connect 175w 11K bulbs and bought all of those.

I'm currently using the Aqua Connects with an Actinic LED over the 40. I'm saving the Iwasaki's for my (long overdue) upgrade to a 75 that's been sitting in my basement since 2017:rolleyes: So, my plan is to cycle through the Aqua Connects, then the Iwasakis, and finally the Coralvues...as long as my ballasts hold up.

Back