therman's 40B SPS tank, TOTM Oct 2001 and reef nostalgia thread

Well, digging this up...

I managed to hunt down the purple and green digi! Later named ROAB digi apparently.

Also got that ORA Pavona. Not quite as nice as my old one IMO, a little shaggier and smaller, but nice.

There are definitely some nice new Montipora coming in these days that we didn't have back then. I feel like the hobby is overdue for some new colors of undata or confusa though, those species don't get the love that they deserve :)

Tim,

Do you have this one? I bought it years ago but eventually lost it. They come in wild occasionally.

Blue%20berry%20Danae%2016_zpsj17itrck.jpg

I got to jump in and say hello! I miss having a tank and am really looking to set something up soon. My hats off to the old school reefers! Many challenges these days, cost of power, water etc. Got 400 watters put away still, Radium and Iwasaki.

Great thread guys!!!

Joe

Hey Joe! Another legend visiting the thread!

Ed, I think that is a danae of sorts. Never tried one of those wild ones. I finally got the "true" appleberry to grown next to my knockoff. Very different colorations, both great corals.

Mark, I do have some little pieces of those, along with a TON of the "slowburn" or "nautispiral" one that has been around a few years. The "beach bum" and "outrage" I have are so much better looking, but haven't grown anywhere close to as fast for me...plus started a lot smaller!

I've got Adam's "metal polyp monti" plugging along now and acclimated to my LEDs, it is a real oddball too.

I got to jump in and say hello! I miss having a tank and am really looking to set something up soon. My hats off to the old school reefers! Many challenges these days, cost of power, water etc. Got 400 watters put away still, Radium and Iwasaki.

Great thread guys!!!

Joe

Wow, nice to hear from you! Joe, I remember visiting you and your tank and 200g refugium, I was in awe! I can't even remember when that was, probably over 10-15 years ago!

Joe, you need another tank man! Your old reef with sps and turtle grass was a favorite! Therman have you added palawensis yet?
http://uniquecorals.com/coral/sps/m...ge-montipora-palawanensis-3-4-stock-frag.html

Hi Mark, I do need a tank and miss that 180/ sea grass and SPS, especially my black tang.
Hey Joe! Another legend visiting the thread!
Therman, I'm incredibly humbled looking at your tank and passion for reefing! Keep it up! The legend is sharing all your and our information and success with the community.

Wow, nice to hear from you! Joe, I remember visiting you and your tank and 200g refugium, I was in awe! I can't even remember when that was, probably over 10-15 years ago!

Hi Maximus!!!! I remember when you came over! Yes it was a while ago, 15 years I think. I did the best I could and made a lot of mistakes too, spent a lot of money lol. I miss hanging out with everybody and want to set something up soon.

Therman seemed to have sent me a PM about this thread in 2014, and I haven't been on the site for a while and obviously don't check my inbox often enough. I thought it would be rude not to reply and that the thread deserved a bump. My tank has been sitting empty in my garage for 10 years since I moved, and I still hope to do something with it after I remodel my house. It looks like I have a lot of catching up to do though.

I need to get some more confusa someday. I remember Tim and I really wanted to set up a montipora dominated tank over a decade ago. Ahh, life was so carefree and simple back then. I never tested for phosphates, had no clue what gfo was and biopellets weren't even in the picture. ULNS, Zeo, needlewheel skimmers, what the hell were those? I used to run a ETSS Reef Devil downdraft skimmer and Iwasaki's on my 100g sps dominated tank in the mid to late 90's. This thread sorta reminds me of the Jimmy Fallon skit, "Simpler Times" ( I think it was Fallon or Leno?).

Ok Sang, to show you how old school I am.... I finally started testing phosphates and used GFO for the first time, 6 years after you posted this :lolspin:

Lol coral vue sometime still stock those purple vho bulb but the led bar now a days is much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok Sang, to show you how old school I am.... I finally started testing phosphates and used GFO for the first time, 6 years after you posted this :lolspin:

Can't believe I'm still in this crazy hobby. I still regret the day I had planned to meet you guys in Cali and for some reason, I couldn't make it. How's the family doing?

I always remember you and Los talking about Menard's and i asked...."you buy corals from the hardware store?" :lol:

I also remember when i traded Sang Toy Story toys for his corals. How's your son Sang? Need more toys? :D

WOW! Believe it or not, my son is a junior at UC Berkeley now studying as a pre med! Man, time just flies. Pretty insane to read old posts.

Ha! I was just chatting with Ty Ta and he said he thought you were an "anemone bro"...I laughed and said that you've probably been an "everything bro" at least a few times...Monti bro, Zoa Bro, Acro Bro, Gorgonian Bro, Macroalgae bro, Favia bro, Hydnophora bro....

Ha! I was just chatting with Ty Ta and he said he thought you were an "anemone bro"...I laughed and said that you've probably been an "everything bro" at least a few times...Monti bro, Zoa Bro, Acro Bro, Gorgonian Bro, Macroalgae bro, Favia bro, Hydnophora bro....

Yeah, I've done it all lol. Can't shake this hobby, man!

Back