Top Reason Jebao wavemakers stop working and a super easy FIX for them!!!

I've had to direct multiple people to this thread that have needed this fix. Can we possibly sticky it in the equipment forum? It might save some people some grief.

Do either of these pumps qualify for this fix? I feel like the problem isnt related to this.

Both pumps, rw4 and rw8 just stopped working around the 32 day mark.....grinds my gears! I have 2 mp40s now but i want to add these to my tank, if i can get them to work. They do work for a few seconds if i manually spin it. The rw4 more frequently. They have been dry 6mo or more. Tell me there is hope, otherwise its weak coil. No fix for that.

http://imgur.com/HKrGBdh
http://imgur.com/Ls0fTWz

Last edited:
I found this thread and it moved me in the right direction. Thank you OP for this topic and fix!!!

I purchased my RW-4 roughly a year ago and I stopped using it for the last 4 months (new tank and didn't need it). I decided to hook it up again after it had been sitting around, wanting more flow in my new tank. It kept stopping and I found your thread. Thx again!!!

But here's the thing...my RW-4 does not have the ceramic like yours...it has rubber or silicone hosing...and my issue was that the shaft was stuck and wouldn't move up and down. I wiggled it back and forth and it finally gave and is now working like a charm.

I say this all to say that I think Jebao caught on that the ceramic piece was a design flaw and has switched to rubber/silicone ends on the shaft. Had I not found this thread I wouldn't have even taken it apart to the level that I did and would have bought another one.

Thanks again OP!!!

Greetings from South Africa guys. I have two WP25 pumps that have stopped working. I suspect that the ceramic shafts are the problem. I have to take a opened out paper clip to hit the impeller a few times to start working again. Am I right by saying that this ceramic shaft that passes through the centre of the magnet should move freely up and down? I should be able to remove it from the magnet barrel if I can use this term? I knowthat other impellers that have this shaft, these shafts move freely within the magnet barrel and can be removed from it. BTW My pumps have the rubber/silicone ends where the shaft ends goes into and not the ceramic ones as mentioned in the first post of this thread by DavidinGA.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Merlin

Last edited:
Thanks Shaummy
Going to give them a good clean and replace the ceramic rings at each end of the shaft. These do have the ceramic rings and not the silicone/rubber like I mentioned above.

This fix does not apply to the PP-4 model. The shaft is a much smaller OD, and the bushing/bearing is now a single molded silicone piece. There is one very small, 1-2mm thick donut shaped bearing between the impeller base and the bushing/bearing.

This fix does not apply to the PP-4 model. The shaft is a much smaller OD, and the bushing/bearing is now a single molded silicone piece. There is one very small, 1-2mm thick donut shaped bearing between the impeller base and the bushing/bearing.

It is called improvement.

Sometime the motor block just die.

But the bottom line is with the price, I can afford to replace the motor or the entire unit. I can toss three or four of Jebao and still come out ahead vs other "premium" power heads.

On topic, I use the same fix for the past 3 to 4 years.Most of the time a cleaning of the ceramic shoes did the trick.
Out of over 30 Jebao pumps I am using, I only lost three over the years.
I lost 4 Tunze pumps over the same period of time and I have about 10 of them in service.

It is called improvement.

Sometime the motor block just die.

But the bottom line is with the price, I can afford to replace the motor or the entire unit. I can toss three or four of Jebao and still come out ahead vs other "premium" power heads.
Oh, that I understand. I just wanted people to know that there is a difference for the pp/rw 4 series. I have found that if I unplug and plug it back in, it runs for about 20 seconds then freezes. Every time I did it. After removing, cleaning and soaking in vinegar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I tried this method replacing the plastic bearings with airline tubing and it did not work for me.
The pump works until there is a power failure or if it gets knocked real hard.
So I have to manually spin the impeller a few times till it gets working again. PiA!!! But it beats spending over $300 for an ecotech.

Nice thread. I've had my RW-8's (4 of them) now for 1-2 years with out problems due to shaft/bushing-bearing. One thing I do is when I clean them (1x e/o month or two), I push the end of the shaft through the bushing from the outside towards the inside of the bushing and wiggle it as I do that. It tends to push the slime/grit out of the bushing. I do this to both bushings. I also wipe the end of the shaft with a cotton cloth.

I've also found very small magnetic/metal particles stuck to either the magnet or inside the stator sleeve. Getting them off of the magnet is easy with a wet paper towel. Getting them out of the stator sleeve is a booger. But, if I don't get them out, the propeller can stick upon starting up. Once they are removed, the pumps runs fine.

LOVE this fix, helped my RW8 come back to life, going to take apart my new pp8 soon and see if it's built the same, and if so also convert it over.

Thanks for the thread i had 2 of mine seize up on me i cleaned them and after a few weeks seized up again. I did this mod and havent had one stop on me since this really works great!:thumbsup:

Back