Toronto LFS tanks poisoned

Wow...I've never heard of such a thing. If my tank was more mature and I had large enough corals to frag, I would send them a dozen or so just to be kind and help get them on their feet again. I'm sure their insurance will only cover so much...

Don't read into this but could it be an inssurance scam?

Insurance for livestock is generally too expensive for a store to bother with, even assuming you can find an insurance company willing.

Not to take the light off a terrible story, but did you guys read farther down the article?

The Ontario Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said the case would not fall under animal cruelty because fish are non-vertebrates.

"œAccording to the act, animal means a live, non-human vertebrate," said Alison Cross, OSPCA spokesperson.

I see they flunked biology :rolleyes:

Insurance for livestock is generally too expensive for a store to bother with, even assuming you can find an insurance company willing.

They forgot that vertebrates are also warm and fuzzy creatures though some can have feathers. You can also hold them and pet them and call them George. :sad1:

I think they need to take a better look at the Phylum Chordata (the criteria for their interest); the most well known of which include fishes, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals. That even leaves out the weird ones like tunicates, lancelets, and, possibly, some odd extinct groups.

It amazes me sometimes when groups are so blind to their own inconsistencies.

Just dropped in to the store on Sunday. Gotta say, staff are a heck of a lot friendlier than those at ORG (especially given the circumstances). And the livestock displays (although empty) were quite expansive, I can only imagine the selection they ~could~ carry.

Side note: They're selling a few used RR 48x24x20 (100 gallon) tanks. $130 and I just snagged an aquascapers dream.

Just dropped in to the store on Sunday. Gotta say, staff are a heck of a lot friendlier than those at ORG (especially given the circumstances). And the livestock displays (although empty) were quite expansive, I can only imagine the selection they ~could~ carry.

Side note: They're selling a few used RR 48x24x20 (100 gallon) tanks. $130 and I just snagged an aquascapers dream.

Are they selling off and closing the store down, or do they plan to rebuild?

They're planning on rebuilding.

It's weird, though. The store was closed and they weren't answering the phone, and now they seem to have opened the doors to sell off equipment.

(Another interesting thing is that they've been threatening lawsuits against forums when people criticize them or speculate about the incident, so hopefully this thread doesn't get RC in trouble.)

its a shame people would ever consider commiting an act of that nature. its hard to believe someone would do that...

(Another interesting thing is that they've been threatening lawsuits against forums when people criticize them or speculate about the incident, so hopefully this thread doesn't get RC in trouble.)

Generally, people who threaten legal action over the Intertubes only do so because they have neither the stones nor the money to actually hire a lawyer to do the threatening for them.

That ... and there are ones of libel cases launched every year in Canada, and the likelihood of recouping one's cost to litigate are slim.

Wait, you guys are saying fish have a vertebral column? Stop the presses! This news must be made public!

What an idiotic thing to have happen to that store, and they should string up whoever did this. What if they had poisoned 200 puppies/kittens? They'd be dragged through the street so people could take swings at them.

Wait, you guys are saying fish have a vertebral column? Stop the presses! This news must be made public!

What an idiotic thing to have happen to that store, and they should string up whoever did this. What if they had poisoned 200 puppies/kittens? They'd be dragged through the street so people could take swings at them.

I agree. If this had happened to kittens or puppies people would be outraged and dragging the person around by their toes.

Error report submitted via the "Report an Error" link on the newspaper's Web site.

The newspaper reporter uses the word "fish" to generically refer to actual fish, corals, shrimp, and whatever else died. Some of those critters were vertebrates, some were invertebrates. She can probably be forgiven for saying "fish" intead of "sea creatures". She's a reporter, not a biologist, after all.

The OSPCA rep, on the other hand, should know better. She appears to be using "vertebrates" to mean "mammals," "mammals and birds," or possibly "mammals, birds, and reptiles." She's definitely ignoring bony and cartilaginous fishes.

Maybe what she really means is "cute, charismatic mammals and birds that we think the public cares about," or maybe not. I probably shouldn't be too cynical about her mistake.

I read that they did not even try to save any of the live stock and that a lot of the fish were still alive hours latter but they left them to die. That is why people were thinking it was some sort of insurance scam. Since it is a aquarium store they must have a lot of empty buckets and aquariums that they could have used to remove the fish and try to saved most of them.

I read that they did not even try to save any of the live stock and that a lot of the fish were still alive hours latter but they left them to die. That is why people were thinking it was some sort of insurance scam. Since it is a aquarium store they must have a lot of empty buckets and aquariums that they could have used to remove the fish and try to saved most of them.

that might depend on weather or not they had much salt water on hand or if it wiped out the entire system was connected.

Back