Treating with Vitamin C

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly have the pathetic "pre" pictures I can post tonight! Today marks my first day on the 50ppm dose, so hopefully I will start to see some improvement over the next week or two...at this point I would be happy to see them stop dying, let alone open up!

Guygettnby, It is not "pure" if it contains rose hips (I didn't even know roses had hips! ;)). It also is not buffered. do not use it, unless you're looking for pH/alk problems.

As far as that Tubb's Blue colony--I have issues with red turf algae that engulfed most of that colony. I finally dug it out & placed on a plug in my frag tank. I also fragged off some for a local reefer. They don't take well to fragging... They are just starting to come back again but I do dose higher on my frag tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14205308#post14205308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeff
The last pic has almost double the amount of polyps as the first pic.

My tubbs more than doubled in a couple months time. I've seen others with similar results. That last pic was first posted a pretty long time ago. I think they're asking for a current pic. I'm curious as well and would like to see a current pic. Thanks.

I will be happy to comply but there are abot 1/4 the amount of polyps left. I have explained why, in my post above.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14206661#post14206661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
Guygettnby, It is not "pure" if it contains rose hips (I didn't even know roses had hips! ;)). It also is not buffered. do not use it, unless you're looking for pH/alk problems.

ok, so what can i do to make this stuff work? it wasnt very cheap and i dont want to waste it.

oh yea and roses do have hips, you just havent looked hard enough;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14206661#post14206661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk

I think pH/alk may be the least of your problems with this addition. Rose hips is a type of fruit that is commonly used in tea. It contains a high level of vitamin c but may also contain contaminants. Personally, I would not look at adding any type of plant extract to my tank, unless it was purified in some manner. Without knowing who this vit c was processed, you may be adding unwanted nutrients to your tank.

I would definitely heed Puffer's advice here. I stared using the exact product on Saturday until my buffered sodium ascorbate arrives, hoping to get a jump start on my melting zoas.

I was getting some negative reaction from my softies and realized the ph was low, so I started buffering to counteract the acid in the VC. Unfortunately, I've been working too much and not testing daily. I came home today to some SERIOUSLY ticked off corals. Even my Anthelia is looking sickly and that stuff normally isn't affected by anything. I tested the ALK and it is off the charts. I'm seriously worried that I"ve done some major damage.

Needless to say, i'm not dosing anything else until my order from iherb arrives. I was only up to the 30ppm dose of VC and I really underestimated the wild swings in my ph and alkalnity from the VC dose. The only thing I can see as a bright spot would be for someone to learn from my stupid mistakes!!

I would definitely heed Puffer's advice here. I started using the exact product on Saturday until my buffered sodium ascorbate arrives, hoping to get a jump start on my melting zoas.

I was getting some negative reaction from my softies and realized the ph was low, so I started buffering to counteract the acid in the VC. Unfortunately, I've been working too much and not testing daily. I came home today to some SERIOUSLY ticked off corals. Even my Anthelia is looking sickly and that stuff normally isn't affected by anything. I tested the ALK and it is off the charts. I'm seriously worried that I"ve done some major damage.

Needless to say, i'm not dosing anything else until my order from iherb arrives. I was only up to the 30ppm dose of VC and I really underestimated the wild swings in my ph and alkalnity from the VC dose. The only thing I can see as a bright spot would be for someone to learn from my stupid mistakes!!

What happened to me when I wasn't using the buffered product, is my pH dropped even though I added alk to the tank & it took me forever to straighten the pH out, w/o raising the alk sky high.

I just called a health food store. They have vit. C powder but it is buffered by calcium and not sodium. Is this alright to use?

Calcium ascorbate is fine. Be sure that's all that is in it & be sure to compar price with what we use here. I find it to be much cheaper even with shipping, especially with the $5 off coupon.

It is the same price. I am pretty sure it is just calcium and vit. C

The link to the original article from reefs.org is gone! The thread is massive and I can not find dosing instructions for my 90g.

Thanks! I will browse through. My tubbs blue frag I just got melted so I want to give this a try, all other zoas appear to be doing fine but I am not getting much growth out of my PD and NG not to mention their polyps are not getting big...

Alright I found this:

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC
Dose 2x/day.

I simply build up from 5ppm (1/4 tsp. aprox.)?

Also ' "During this entire period you should not be using any chemical filtration media either (e.g. resins or pads). " '

Is GFO safe to run during vit. c dosing? I read that carbon is not.

Sorry for my ignorance for not reading through every post, I should have scanned it more carefully.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is unsual but ever since I started dosing Vit.C, my skimmer's foam is really thick even though I am skimming pretty wet. The foam keeps pushing the collection cup lid up and over flow outside. Anyone experience this? Oh, my zoos never look better.

IMGP4603.jpg

IMGP4678.jpg

IMGP4713.jpg

IMGP4720.jpg

camera and skill still suck though. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14215135#post14215135 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
It is copied many times in this thread.

Here it is again:

Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails...293197697039798
$5 0ff coupon code: LUL789

1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC
Dose 2x/day.

Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting.
Shoot for a ppm of around 5 if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
If you notice an algae bloom or increased skim on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. I dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water for a minute then pour into my overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors.
If you have a question, ask here. Puffy checks this thread daily.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

ok soo just to make sure im doing this right today was day one on vitamin C i added just below 1 ml for my 28 gallon tank i wanna slowly get to 1/4 a tsp and then slowly go to 1/2 and thats morning and night so a full tsp a day is that right ?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14215547#post14215547 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Orochimaru
I don't know if this is unsual but ever since I started dosing Vit.C, my skimmer's foam is really thick even though I am skimming pretty wet. The foam keeps pushing the collection cup lid up and over flow outside. Anyone experience this? Oh, my zoos never look better.

You will see the same result with vodka, sugar, or vinegar additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back