Treating with Vitamin C

Status
Not open for further replies.
not loosing any in this tank...got very good growth right now...except one small colony is adjusting due to a lighting change...everything i have going now is small, i'd say the biggist group has 20/30 tops. i'm looking for the colors to pop and keep them from melting down the road like my last tank did...same story as you i guess, could of prevented that loss knowing this was out there.

have you ever heard of vitamin c dosing causing a bacteria bloom and making your water stink? im trying to narrow down what caused my tank to crash. its either the vitamin C , 2 part calcium/alk, seachem ph buffer or seachem magnesium suppliment.

Quick update on my little experiment. I stopped dosing for a month and just started back up 2 weeks ago. My zoas continued to do good and nothing closed up during the "off" month. I did have a gradual nitrate increase from undetectable up to around 5+ ppm over the course of the "off month". I started to get a patch of cyano on my sandbed and a little on a few rocks. I continued to do weekly 15% water changes using Seachem Reef Salt in 0 TDS RO/DI water. During this last 2 weeks of dosing 5-6 ppm, my nitrates have dropped to around 1 ppm and the cyano is almost gone.
I am really starting to think that at least one of the advantages of dosing pure sodium ascorbate is that it dose act as a carbon source feeding denitrifing bacteria. The signs and symptoms of vodka, sugar, vinager dosing are almost identical to sodium ascorbate dosing. The bacterial bloom encountered when overdosing vitamin c is the same and the reduction of nitrates and phosphates is the same.

Last edited:
After doing some extensive reading on here I ordered the Vit. C and started dosing. I don't usually experiment on my tanks but I had some zoa's melt and jumped aboard. I just started dosing. I'll chime in when I visually see some changes, good or bad. I'm a reader and not a poster but just wanted to say thanks.

well after starting to dose my tanks i did also get an algea bloom and my glass was very, very covered and dark. i have been dosing about 1500mg a day in a 70g system. any insight to this?

also any help on how much i should dose would be grateful!

70g and a 24g

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14195744#post14195744 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
Your tank crashed after you started dosing? What happened, exactly?

the water began to smell like dead sea waterand was very cloudy . im not blaming it on the vitamin c though it would have been a number of things like i stated above.from now on im gona stick with the vitamin c dosing only and do 2 weekly water changes to replenish calcium and mag instead of dosing those and well see if it happend again. i did a 100% water change and now everything is smelling great and healthy again but like i said i really cant just narrow it down to the vitamin c.

before vit. C

DSC03706.jpg

a couple months after and possibly diff. lighting, not sure?;

IMGP4691.jpg

they are the same zoos.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how effectual before & after pics are of healthy corals, even if there is a huge difference to the naked eye, without using the exact same settings on the camera & the same distance from the subjet. Thanks for the pics though. What I'm really needing is drastic pics of corals (zoas especially) that were on their way out & now looking fantastic.
Like these:

New zoas
TubsBlues.jpg

Melting polyps
SickBlues.jpg

3 months after dosing VC
TubbsBlues.jpg

See all the new babies below the origional colony?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14204534#post14204534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
I'm not sure how effectual before & after pics are of healthy corals, even if there is a huge difference to the naked eye, without using the exact same settings on the camera & the same distance from the subjet. Thanks for the pics though. What I'm really needing is drastic pics of corals (zoas especially) that were on their way out & now looking fantastic.
Like these:

New zoas
TubsBlues.jpg

Melting polyps
SickBlues.jpg

3 months after dosing VC
TubbsBlues.jpg

See all the new babies below the origional colony?

I'd like to see a new picture added to the end. I've read you have had great growth and would like to see how much it has grown.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14204751#post14204751 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dancing4raiin
I'd like to see a new picture added to the end. I've read you have had great growth and would like to see how much it has grown.
The last pic has almost double the amount of polyps as the first pic.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14201792#post14201792 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
1500mg isn't very much on your system. Way less than 5ppm at this point. What kind of VC are you using?

i found the stuff at GNC and it says the only ingredients are VIT C and rose hipps. its crystals instead of tabs.

how much should i be dosing in those 2 tanks? will that effect the tank and cause it to have an algea bloom? everything in the tanks looks healthy and it was healthy before i started dosing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back